X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • analog
    • Dec 2006

Re: Yes or No?

I liked this one (in plain wool), and IIRC Luisa Via Roma had it for just under $3K (sold out now). The woven wool version is a little over $3K at Brownsfashion.com. I think Mattoti still has this one for about ¥320K

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Yea, that's the one! That one is sick. I really like the woven wool version a lot.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

I'm surprised at how popular Lanvin has gotten on the forum; at first I though only Mass and I liked it, then I saw Johnny was a fan and now its being discussed as often as say CdG, although less than Poell and continues.
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm surprised at how popular Lanvin has gotten on the forum; at first I though only Mass and I liked it, then I saw Johnny was a fan and now its being discussed as often as say CdG, although less than Poell and continues.[/quote]

I would kill to have those blazers you picked up!

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="Fuuma"]I'm surprised at how popular Lanvin has gotten on the forum; at first I though only Mass and I liked it, then I saw Johnny was a fan and now its being discussed as often as say CdG, although less than Poell and continues.[/quote]

I would kill to have those blazers you picked up!

[/quote]

You'd look like you're wearing your little brother clothing though :)

I like Lanvin (mostly jackets though and some of the overall collections) because I typically wear dressy jackets with more casual clothes and like soft tailoring with less tappering than the italians, something that would be the typical "french" silhouette, if there is one. Iespecially appreciatethe contrast of beat-up tuxedo jackets, as it reminds meof the parasitic gatecrashers of a novelI really like, whereaimless guys inblack tieget by by having ther ins into high society parties. I'm just surprised at the appeal the whole thing have in here, especially since it is so different from what brands are usually discussed. I guess I'll start a "why do you like Lanvin" thread, the answers should prove pretty interesting.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]I'm surprised at how popular Lanvin has gotten on the forum; at first I though only Mass and I liked it, then I saw Johnny was a fan and now its being discussed as often as say CdG, although less than Poell and continues.[/quote]

Actually I'm quite surprised atthat too. I find that I just cannot like CdG as much as I'd like to now, if you see what I mean. It's just too gimmicky, too "themed" (lips, gold, those 4 "artist" guys, one of whom is an absolute knobber). It's a question of finding individual piecesthat are nice, which is still possible. And as much as thisforum probably got me "on" to CCP, it's just as much put me off it now. I think CCP is limited as a menswear designer and his variations (the jointing) seem random and also derivative (Junya did it first and better). He produces nice clothes, well made, but the uncritical fawning that goes on in some quarters I find nauseating. I also think there is something misconceived about placing so much value on the "quality" of an item that will get put up on ebay in a couple of months because the wearer (if indeed it has beenworn at all)gets bored of it. I'm critisizing myself here really. I bought a pair of trousers from Leclaireur in the summer that cost a fortuen, look really well made but I haven't worn them outside yet!! No need for it to be such good quality really is there? Lanvin seems to me to be a good compromise between fashion, which is nothing to be ashamed of, in the sense that there seems to be a development of ideas (some of which don't come off like the overly campsilk jump-suits) from one season to the next, but within a single unified idea or approach (relaxed luxury?). It has a footing in the notion of "proper" dressing, which I find appealling, but also looks forward by using interesting fabrics, tailored shapes, sportwear influence etc. I'm sure I'll get bored of it myself at some point, but I think that's in teh nature of beign interested in fashion.

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

Actually I'm quite surprised at that too. I find that I just cannot like CdG as much as I'd like to now, if you see what I mean. It's just too gimmicky, too "themed" (lips, gold, those 4 "artist" guys, one of whom is an absolute knobber). It's a question of finding individual pieces that are nice, which is still possible. And as much as this forum probably got me "on" to CCP, it's just as much put me off it now. I think CCP is limited as a menswear designer and his variations (the jointing) seem random and also derivative (Junya did it first and better). He produces nice clothes, well made, but the uncritical fawning that goes on in some quarters I find nauseating. I also think there is something misconceived about placing so much value on the "quality" of an item that will get put up on ebay in a couple of months because the wearer (if indeed it has been worn at all) gets bored of it. I'm critisizing myself here really. I bought a pair of trousers from Leclaireur in the summer that cost a fortuen, look really well made but I haven't worn them outside yet!! No need for it to be such good quality really is there? Lanvin seems to me to be a good compromise between fashion, which is nothing to be ashamed of, in the sense that there seems to be a development of ideas (some of which don't come off like the overly camp silk jump-suits) from one season to the next, but within a single unified idea or approach (relaxed luxury?). It has a footing in the notion of "proper" dressing, which I find appealling, but also looks forward by using interesting fabrics, tailored shapes, sportwear influence etc. I'm sure I'll get bored of it myself at some point, but I think that's in teh nature of beign interested in fashion.

[/quote]

It's interesting what you say here because i've been feeling somewhat similar as of late. While I disagree with the 'fawning' of designers like CCP, I have found myself not as interested in his clothing any more, more so for the fact that it takes total dedication to wear it. I definitely have a soft spot for his artisan approach to clothing but I find it doesn't work on a daily basis for me, in my current life style that is. But for other members like Joey, Albert, and Jun, it looks amazing.
                This is wear my current appreciation for Lanvin comes in for most of the same reasons Johnny said above. It's luxurious while still being youthful and I think it mixes great with a slew of other designers/looks. Now, with that said, I really can't afford any of it! lol

Thus my total appreciation for Patrik Ervell. While I know most don't appreciate his clothing too much here, for me, it fits me perfectly. Life style wise, fit, looks, and of course, price wise.

But yea...maybe this is another topic in itself... :D

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="Casius"]It's interesting what you say here because i've been feeling somewhat similar as of late. While I disagree with the 'fawning' of designers like CCP, I have found myself not as interested in his clothing any more, more so for the fact that it takes total dedication to wear it. I definitely have a soft spot for his artisan approach to clothing but I find it doesn't work on a daily basis for me, in my current life style that is. But for other members like Joey, Albert, and Jun, it looks amazing.
                  This is wear my current appreciation for Lanvin comes in for most of the same reasons Johnny said above. It's luxurious while still being youthful and I think it mixes great with a slew of other designers/looks. Now, with that said, I really can't afford any of it! lol

Thus my total appreciation for Patrik Ervell. While I know most don't appreciate his clothing too much here, for me, it fits me perfectly. Life style wise, fit, looks, and of course, price wise.

[/quote]

I'm coming to wonder how much geography plays into appreciation of fashion, because I often think very much along the same lines as Casius. As much as I like CCP, I can't really see ever wearing his clothes (even if I did have the money) as it's just not conducive to my climate or lifestyle. I consider myself very much a product of my environment and, as much as many were turned off by Geller's more recent collection, I really loveed it, and I imagine very much for it's "California-esque" sensibilities (which very much informed his first collection as well, in my opinion). Ervell is very much growing on me (although it's certainly not all great, and pricing certainly plays a role) and Lanvin has been one of my favorite brands from first I saw them. I much prefer the more relaxed silhouettes and colors of Lanvin / some of Geller's work / Ervell as it seems much less... I feel like "pretentious" is the word in the context of both my life and California. I still love the sharp tailoring of Raf, however, but I find myself more and more approaching a balance between my environment and my sensibilities.

Rambling again.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="Johnny"]

Actually I'm quite surprised at that too. I find that I just cannot like CdG as much as I'd like to now, if you see what I mean. It's just too gimmicky, too "themed" (lips, gold, those 4 "artist" guys, one of whom is an absolute knobber). It's a question of finding individual pieces that are nice, which is still possible. And as much as this forum probably got me "on" to CCP, it's just as much put me off it now. I think CCP is limited as a menswear designer and his variations (the jointing) seem random and also derivative (Junya did it first and better). He produces nice clothes, well made, but the uncritical fawning that goes on in some quarters I find nauseating. I also think there is something misconceived about placing so much value on the "quality" of an item that will get put up on ebay in a couple of months because the wearer (if indeed it has been worn at all) gets bored of it. I'm critisizing myself here really. I bought a pair of trousers from Leclaireur in the summer that cost a fortuen, look really well made but I haven't worn them outside yet!! No need for it to be such good quality really is there? Lanvin seems to me to be a good compromise between fashion, which is nothing to be ashamed of, in the sense that there seems to be a development of ideas (some of which don't come off like the overly camp silk jump-suits) from one season to the next, but within a single unified idea or approach (relaxed luxury?). It has a footing in the notion of "proper" dressing, which I find appealling, but also looks forward by using interesting fabrics, tailored shapes, sportwear influence etc. I'm sure I'll get bored of it myself at some point, but I think that's in teh nature of beign interested in fashion.

[/quote]

It's interesting what you say here because i've been feeling somewhat similar as of late. While I disagree with the 'fawning' of designers like CCP, I have found myself not as interested in his clothing any more, more so for the fact that it takes total dedication to wear it. I definitely have a soft spot for his artisan approach to clothing but I find it doesn't work on a daily basis for me, in my current life style that is. But for other members like Joey, Albert, and Jun, it looks amazing.

[/quote]

Casius loving Ervell?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what is the World Coming to?

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• DHC
                      • Jul 2007

Servo, any which way you flip it, nature and nurture (broad generalization) both play integral roles in one's approach to fashion. I think the one factor of the equation not addressed is one's exposure to the plethora of designers out there. There are plenty of people out there who scoff at Lanvin and run to the racks at Express for their wardrobe needs. I think its great if Express can satisfy one's desires all within the scope of their environment, sensibilities and needs. Fortunately this isn't so for everyone and that's what makes the world go round. There is a market for everything..and I do mean everything. I may not agree, but I accept it..whatever the reason. It is not for me to decide what others want nor is it necessary for others to justify it with me.

And its funny that my wife and I were discussing the "uncritical fawning", that Johnny mentioned, just last night. I was talking to someone about some Poell gloves available for sale. He asked me what I thought of those and I said I thought they were cool. I mentioned that it was due to the fact that they were fashioned after mittens used in the second world war. The reason for the mittens having a seperate index finger sleeve was so the soldiers would always have easy access to the trigger of their rifles. He was astonished that it had been done before and that the design
                      was a result of measures taken to become more efficient in a war set skirmish. That's where my appreciation for that particular piece lies and ends, but is it really necessary to have that background knowledge to appreciate it? I mean everything has been done, they say that there's nothing new under sun...right?

OK, now I'm rambling.

Originally posted by Faust
                      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

lol. Well I have to say, I like to support an American designer and like Servo said above, his clothing works very well for my environment and lifestyle. Being young and active, living in California, etc., all these things definitely play a role when choosing clothing.

I do in fact still love Poell, always will. And I love some of the more basic pieces I have from him. The rain trousers from last season are some of my more favorite pants I own.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Good, let's keep it that way - otherwise it will be all about Poell/Rick/M.A. :-). I think diversity is key and is what makes a forum interesting.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

It's true!

I'm surprised as to how many people on here have been picking up Lanvin pretty consistently. Robert Geller and a couple other designers as well!

I have only limited experience with handling Lanvin in person... only at Barneys. The quality was absolutely top notch but for me I found the clothes to be a bit too classic. It's great stuff, but not for me (although i'm sure the cohorts here in Texas would not give me as many strange looks if I wore more Geller/Lanvin hahaha).

Definitely understand dressing for the environment and the location... local weather plays a HUGE role in what is and is not purchased and it's a shame that so many nice coats are being produced this fall. No chance in hell for me to don anything heavier than a sweater or thinner leather jacket here!

It's nice to see discussion about brands other than Carol/Continues as well. The Carol thread is honestly only interesting when new photos of new pieces are posted really. The discussion of his creations has been mostly exhausted, especially given the fact that his lines are an evolution from the season prior. Nice, consistent, but doesn't lead to too much discussion in the end. Combined with the fact that Altieri has gone underground as he works on his new collection, a refocus on brands that are more dailywear/practical is indeed refreshing.

I've been following therapysessions' blog (as others on here should) as it sheds some really neat light on the inner workings of these new(ish) designers!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• mesh
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

Actually I'm quite surprised atthat too. I find that I just cannot like CdG as much as I'd like to now, if you see what I mean. It's just too gimmicky, too "themed" (lips, gold, those 4 "artist" guys, one of whom is an absolute knobber). It's a question of finding individual piecesthat are nice, which is still possible. And as much as thisforum probably got me "on" to CCP, it's just as much put me off it now. I think CCP is limited as a menswear designer and his variations (the jointing) seem random and also derivative (Junya did it first and better). He produces nice clothes, well made, but the uncritical fawning that goes on in some quarters I find nauseating. I also think there is something misconceived about placing so much value on the "quality" of an item that will get put up on ebay in a couple of months because the wearer (if indeed it has beenworn at all)gets bored of it. I'm critisizing myself here really. I bought a pair of trousers from Leclaireur in the summer that cost a fortuen, look really well made but I haven't worn them outside yet!! No need for it to be such good quality really is there? Lanvin seems to me to be a good compromise between fashion, which is nothing to be ashamed of, in the sense that there seems to be a development of ideas (some of which don't come off like the overly campsilk jump-suits) from one season to the next, but within a single unified idea or approach (relaxed luxury?). It has a footing in the notion of "proper" dressing, which I find appealling, but also looks forward by using interesting fabrics, tailored shapes, sportwear influence etc. I'm sure I'll get bored of it myself at some point, but I think that's in teh nature of beign interested in fashion.

[/quote]

Well said Johnny, I've felt like this from the beginning. The only approved goth ninja gear I have are my carpes because I am able to assimilate them into my wardrobe. I think the fascination with lanvin here lies in its outlandishness in price and creative approach parallel to ccp and the likes. On the note of practicality, I enjoy wearing the clothes I gravitate to such as raf, margiela, ervell, vb, jil. If you don't want to wear it all the time you don't love it.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="mesh"][quote user="Johnny"]

[/quote]

Well said Johnny, I've felt like this from the beginning. The only approved goth ninja gear I have are my carpes because I am able to assimilate them into my wardrobe. I think the fascination with lanvin here lies in its outlandishness in price and creative approach parallel to ccp and the likes. On the note of practicality, I enjoy wearing the clothes I gravitate to such as raf, margiela, ervell, vb, jil. If you don't want to wear it all the time you don't love it.

[/quote]

This is a great statement. It's what has driven me to do serious closet cleaning from time to time.

It's funny that so many on here wear carpe shoes/boots. They're actually the footwear that I find difficult to incorporate due to the large and flat toebox. Definitely look great on others (Fuuma and Uparmoured most recently) though!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎