Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: This or that

[quote user="Davie"]

In search of some sneakers

This or that??

Or

The Lavin is almost twice as expensive to the CP. But that aside, Im just looking for a nice pair of sneakers and I can only afford one right now. I have handled both and was impressed w/ CP quality, not so much w/ Lavin. But the Lavins do lookREALLY nice.

[/quote]

I still don't get the exorbitant price tag of a lot of Lanvin stuff.... it's simple and clean and high quality but the price they charge for these shoes (and others) is a bit crazy.

They are Stan Smith's! Just get yourself a pair of black leather or white leather Stan Smiths for $50-75 and save yourself hundreds. It's not quiiiiite the same, but so close that when worn under a pair of pants you won't even know the difference.

This same sort of situation came up when Dior Homme did their s/s 2005 and a bunch of Keds-like white low tops were sported on the runway and sold in stores. Reading between the lines, Hedi was just basically saying, "get Keds.".

Basically it comes down to... are those Lanvins worth the extra god knows how many hundreds of dollars for "quality"? I can tell you that my 2-3 pairs of Stan Smiths have held up wonderfully for 5 years and still going strong.

I can understand paying for Lanvin coats and such, but for unimaginative footwear I'd balk at the price. Some things can be worth the money but these shoes are absolutely not.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• CHRIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2006

im going to have to completely disagree here. the same argument could be extended to just about any article of clothing (and made by just about any middle american consumer)-- i.e why buy those $900 poell shirts when you can get something similar at the gap for $50? is it the quality? or is it in the details?

i personally thinkthat the lanvins arein a whole otherleague than thestan smiths.the bulkiness, the toe shape, etc are all very unappealing, whereas the lanvins have a very sleek profile, and come in rich colors / luxurious fabrics... aesthetically, they're not similar at all.i mean, can you imaginethetypicalkeg-standing frat boywearing the latter?

=)

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

I understand the argument for the shoes Chris. No worries :)

I just don't find the Lanvins "special" you know? They're just glorified stan smiths/chucks and unlike a well tailored, sharply cut shirt these won't give your foot a flattering silhouette or anything like that.

If money is no option then I'd say the Lanvins would be just dandy, but man... if I had the choice, I'd get some chucks and then have the extra dough to drop on something that's more unique and special for that kind of money!

Of course I also wear AA tees alongside Rick Owens ones and my favorite belt is a $3 grommeted canvas belt from Chinatown. Maybe I'm just too asian hehehe. I love my high end but I love a bargain deal too [86]

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

agreed with Albert. For reference, check out Casius in chucks in WAYWT.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

cas owns lanvin high tops as well.

i'm just curious why the OP called lanvin -> lavin.

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• CHRIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

I just don't find the Lanvins "special" you know? They're just glorified stan smiths/chucks and unlike a well tailored, sharply cut shirt these won't give your foot a flattering silhouette or anything like that.

If money is no option then I'd say the Lanvins would be just dandy, but man... if I had the choice, I'd get some chucks and then have the extra dough to drop on something that's more unique and special for that kind of money!

Of course I also wear AA tees alongside Rick Owens ones and my favorite belt is a $3 grommeted canvas belt from Chinatown. Maybe I'm just too asian hehehe. I love my high end but I love a bargain deal too [86]

[/quote]
              im not by any means the type that needs to be in designer everything (i like mixing gap, h&m, etc when i can -- im definitely guilty ofbeing another bargain hunting asian, ahah), but i think the shoes make a huge difference! i may be slightly biased though, asim kind of a whore when it comes to footwear in general, and i guess im really picky about little things, but yea, i would neverbuy a pair of those stan smiths because of the shape alone. i doubt my legging-like trouserswould look too great on top of a pair of those! however, if i were to slip on something else, like, say a pair of lanvins, my outfit would look completely different... well, at least i'd think so! =)

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

[quote user="CHRIS"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]
                im not by any means the type that needs to be in designer everything (i like mixing gap, h&m, etc when i can -- im definitely guilty ofbeing another bargain hunting asian, ahah), but i think the shoes make a huge difference! i may be slightly biased though, asim kind of a whore when it comes to footwear in general, and i guess im really picky about little things, but yea, i would neverbuy a pair of those stan smiths because of the shape alone. i doubt my legging-like trouserswould look too great on top of a pair of those! however, if i were to slip on something else, like, say a pair of lanvins, my outfit would look completely different... well, at least i'd think so! =)

[/quote]

They're completely different shoes in my opinion. One really cannot replace the other. You can wear Stan Smiths and also Lanvins, but if I imagine those Stan Smiths on any runway image that usually had the Lanvin sneakers... that's a no go.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

for those that don't remember, or don't want to, kris van assche used only stan smiths in his first (or second) collection. i love stan smiths but i agree that they are definitely apples and oranges.

this at pretty much retail?

i really love it of course, enough to want as my first leather jacket ever, but only problem is i was actually looking for this one:

Comment

• drexl
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="mass"]for those that don't remember, or don't want to, kris van assche used only stan smiths in his first (or second) collection. i love stan smiths but i agree that they are definitely apples and oranges.

this at pretty much retail?

i really love it of course, enough to want as my first leather jacket ever, but only problem is i was actually looking for this one:

[/quote]

I actually like the first jacket alot more than the second. Something about the exposed seams and the contrast of the natural-colored leather throws it off for me. First jacket is awesome though. Too bad Julius leathers almost never make to sale :(

Comment

• ionn26
                      • Feb 2007

I agree with Drexel.. the first one is better than the 2nd one.. the contrast is too strong for leather.

It is also too bad that most of the leather jacket by Julius never make it to the sale.. Although I am finding alot of similarity these days between Julius and Rick Owens' leather jacket. Most of the time Rick Owen does make it to the sale. But when after say 50% discount Rick owens leather price is about the same as the Julius leather jacket prices. So.. I guess it works out to be pretty much the same.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Mass, I'll echo everyone's sentiments and say the first is much better than the second. I've seen the latter one show up on yahoo auctions and it never looks quite as good as when it was used for the Julius lookbooks which subsequently has all photos in monochrome so you don't see that black/brown combo as you would in reality with that leather jacket. The first is much more functional and as Julius leather construction is a bit of an evolutionary process, more recent = better cut and fit and overall execution.

Although they never make it to sale, Julius leathers definitely remain some of the absolute best buys out there. Super high quality construction and leather and a nice sharp slim fit. You can't go wrong with it at all!

Comment

• DHC
                          • Jul 2007

Feedback call

The first pictures is the fabric as it appears on the outside and the second is the reverse side of the fabric. What do you guys think of it as a material for a suit? Not partial to it myself as I envision it as a suit, but perhaps I just lack the vision to see the final product. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Faust
                          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• drexl
                            • Sep 2006

Re: Feedback call

[quote user="DHC"]

The first pictures is the fabric as it appears on the outside and the second is the reverse side of the fabric. What do you guys think of it as a material for a suit? Not partial to it myself as I envision it as a suit, but perhaps I just lack the vision to see the final product. Thoughts?

[/quote]

It's hard to say without feeling the fabric, but it looks nice, certainly a twist from a regular herringbone. Question would be how many suits do you already have? If you've already got the basic charcoal/gray, navy and black suits covered, then it would be a nice addition. If it's your first suit, then I'd say pick something without a pattern and lighter weight.

Comment

• soultek
                              • Feb 2007

[quote user="Davie"]

In search of some sneakers

This or that??

Or

The Lavin is almost twice as expensive to the CP. But that aside, Im just looking for a nice pair of sneakers and I can only afford one right now. I have handled both and was impressed w/ CP quality, not so much w/ Lavin. But the Lavins do lookREALLY nice.

[/quote]

Might be too late now, but Barney's NYC had the Lanvin's for 40% off (still expensive for sneakers if you ask me) really nice tho. Almost bought them myself.

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

Re: Feedback call

Thanks Drexl. I was going to mention that I have the basics all covered in suits, but I think I'd like another solid black in a lighter fabric. I really liked the fabric on the CCP Atelier suit. The blend of wool with another natural fiber such as cotton is most appropriate for wear in my climate. I'm not too crazy about the fabric the more I think about it and for the money I'm shelling out for the suit I want there to be no room for complaints. I guess I'm passing on it. Thanks again for your feedback.
                                Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎