Edit: Jon got there faster [51] ...
    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• Jon
      • Apr 2008

Re: Faust vs. Damir Doma

You're very welcome! [51] Glad to finally contribute something to these conversations.
      Originally posted by merz
      perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• mount_light
        • Feb 2008

Re: SS08 Arrivals/Reviews/News

lovely.....

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="Faust"]i do the same, i just wasn't interested this time. this season it's all about yohji, one ann piece, and one n(n) piece for me. is it sales time yet?
          [/quote]

Yohji this season is where it's at for me too....other than the fact I cannot afford any of it until sale time. NN is nice too, but I really disliked the trousers/pants this season; They're too flowy, almost feminine for me. But Yohji's trousers on the other hand are nothing short of amazing.

[/quote]

On NN, I just like the toggles :-)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="CHRIS"]

[quote user="Faust"]couldn't be bothered. what should i try on? $650 shorts? $700 leggings? i remotely liked the cardigan, but cardigans are not my thing in general.
            [/quote]

im kinda surprised you dont like him. although i cant really imagine you wearing anything by him, i also cant really imagine you wearing any of the more 'poetic' ann stuff (like your threader jacket)... and personally i like his work (from what i've seen in pictures -- havent handled a single piece in person) because it seems really close to ann's... what with the ties and straps and adjustability everywhere and the looseness and eventhe whole 'gypsy' thingyou mentioned...

[/quote]

I wear Ann's threader jacket all the time. Ann's stuff has always had a certain grandeur, however nonchalant it is - she simply relaxes the structure, instead of dispensing with it altogether. This is just sloppy drapey stuff. See the difference?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="iSuck"]

[quote user="Faust"]couldn't be bothered. what should i try on? $650 shorts? $700 leggings? i remotely liked the cardigan, but cardigans are not my thing in general.
              [/quote]

Sounds like you may dislike the pricing more than the actual clothing?

[/quote]

I don't like the clothing first, and then I feel insulted by the prices on top of it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Jon"]

Honestly, Faust seems to have made up his mind. And I think he has some valid points.

Although I admit I will be wearing head to toe Damir Doma soon. Damir's "tailoring" lacks the structure you'll find in CCP's or Margiela's clothing. Even Damir's "classic" jacket is missing structure. If you have a strong affinity for the tradition of tailoring this could turn you off. However Damir is anything but a traditional designer, and that, to me, is what appeals the most. If he comes up short anytime it's when he's measured by the traditional yardstick of men's tailoring.

I don't find his designs derivitive (of what exactly? besides being "drapey" a la Ann or Rick?). He has a youthful rebelliousness Raf used to have.

I still believe he has got a ways to go but he is 27 now (not 24/25). I like his vision and his approach to mixing textures on his garments. Although the pieces are cut for a slim build all the pieces flow or loosely drape off of the body. The construction, I think, is quitegood and I've yet to find an ill-fitting garment.

That said, I see Faust's complaints in regards to pricing as being very relevant. As much as I love DD's clothes, since when do start-up designers start charging prices comparable to established designers? I think it's more of an effect of the market. I think that it's the interest that he's built up that allows him and his company to charge those prices, and why should we blame him when it's selling all over the world?

Let's revisit this in a few years when Damir Doma has a more complete body of work. If Faust chooses to dislike what he's seen in person fromDamir Doma's first collection so be it. Not that we see eye to eye, but Faust always knows why he dislikes a designer.

[/quote]

I agree. And, thank you. And I love the title of our post [74]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="Faust"]i do the same, i just wasn't interested this time. this season it's all about yohji, one ann piece, and one n(n) piece for me. is it sales time yet?
                  [/quote]

Yohji this season is where it's at for me too....other than the fact I cannot afford any of it until sale time. NN is nice too, but I really disliked the trousers/pants this season; They're too flowy, almost feminine for me. But Yohji's trousers on the other hand are nothing short of amazing.

[/quote]

On NN, I just like the toggles :-)

[/quote]

Yea, me too. You should be checking out the y! auctions Faust, you could score quite a bit of stuff in your size for 50% of the US price. I find it amazing how much cheaper the NN stuff is in Japan compared to here.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Yea, I tried once and gave up after 5 min. I don't like N(N) nearly enough to go through 100 pages of shit! Yea, the jacket that I like is 40% cheaper in Japan at retail. Funk!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Haha, yea, there's a ton of pages! I always filter it by putting '08' at the end of NN and it comes up with only SS08 items. ;)

The boots are super nice this season too and also, a good 300-400 less in Japan.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• viridi
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Jon"]

That said, I see Faust's complaints in regards to pricing as being very relevant. As much as I love DD's clothes, since when do start-up designers start charging prices comparable to established designers? I think it's more of an effect of the market. I think that it's the interest that he's built up that allows him and his company to charge those prices, and why should we blame him when it's selling all over the world?

[/quote]many new-generation designers in Japan charge as much as Jun Takahashi does. its not becoz of the company issues neither is the market strategy.asfar as i know,those "genius"JUSTbelieve their collections(or more specificly,their handmade work andunique ideas)worth that price. so.. what comes after is "many gone and many born". i am not sure if this appearsthe same in Belgium or Sweden tho. .

Comment

• deuxmille
                          • Nov 2006

It's just as expensive for young companies to make their stuff if not more. It'll be made in smaller quantities and they don't usually outsource production as much yet, fabric orders are trickier, etc. They still have to make a profit too.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎