Clear All
    • Jan 2011

Devoa uses YKK on the products I own.

Comment

• LOVE
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
      LUXURY LABELS ARE STILL IN COMPETITION WITH ONE ANOTHER
      The pricing argument doesn't make sense to me. Are the zippers he's using now really that much cheaper? They're still made it IT.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by LOVE View Post
        The pricing argument doesn't make sense to me. Are the zippers he's using now really that much cheaper? They're still made it IT.
        Well, he moved his leather production to Moldova, so saving $$ isn't out of the question.

Someone pointed out that he's still using the old style pull for the drkshdw line, and this season's women's leathers on LVR seem to use the old as well, but then the python bag on Antonioli uses the new(?) So they may be using the rest of the old stock.

Basically, who fucking knows. If it was an aesthetic decision, then I hope he changes his mind. If the new pulls are cheaper, than it doesn't really surprise me.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• LOVE
          • Dec 2007

I can't imagine the change is anything but aesthetic, since he could've had the same style replicated by anyone.

Though honestly I have RO leather jackets from FW12 and FW10, both with the OG zipper pull. The new one is by Raccagni and the old one by whoever. And you know what? They both kind of suck. Both look super heavy-duty, expensive, and awesome, but they constantly get caught, stuck, etc. I have Hanes hoodies with less zip-related complaints, though there's probably less of an expectation of greatness there.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by sixledge View Post
            Not sure about replacing the pull tab.

But you can get some YKK stuff here:

http://www.hardwareelf.com/elf/zippers.jsp

Also I have bought zipper parts from amazon and ebay.

my local sewing supply store (a good one) explained when i showed some ykk and some raccagni (rick) zippers that you could not replace the tab because there is a spring mechanism in the slider that will get ruined then. unless you somehow cut/solder the tab itself, which i think would be a total pain in the ass.

btw i think it might be a quality control / returns-related decision to change rick's zippers, just like with the footwear soles. i've had recurring problems with the raccagni zippers.

Comment

• duveddet
              • Feb 2012

just had the most incredible experience with raccagni. My zipper on my Raf Simons jacket broke (http://www.mrporter.com/product/169987 ).
              I wrote raccagni asking them if it was possible to buy a new zipper just like the old one. They told me that it wouldn't be a problem and they would gladly give me one for free as long as I paid for transportation (with UPS from italy to Denmark).
              Amazing customer service !!

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

oh, that's cool. when i tried to do the same thing, i got no reply at all from them... guess that's italy for you though: completely unpredictable - sometimes annoying, sometimes amazing...

but the ro store in london came through in the end.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

what problems did you guys have exactly? I've not run into any issues with the (many) raccagni zippers i have (knock on wood).
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

i've had the zipper tape almost 'disintegrate' after only very light use of the zipper, on two different pairs of rick shoes. almost as if it was woven out of a different material than the other one's i have... the threads of the material started to come loose (and even broke), so the zipper jammed because the teeth no longer aligned correctly. felt like shit quality - but then i have other raccagni super RY's that have lasted for years... very odd.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Interesting. I've had good luck thus far. They're no riri, but I like them.

Comment

• sixledge
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        oh, that's cool. when i tried to do the same thing, i got no reply at all from them... guess that's italy for you though: completely unpredictable - sometimes annoying, sometimes amazing...

but the ro store in london came through in the end.
                        Had the same experience after receiving no help from RO.

Tried contacting raccagni directly after that and received no response.

Comment

• voice_on_tape
                          • Jun 2011

Agree, the new RO zip pull looks terrible.

On the note of one way vs two way zippers. I do love the function of the two way/double zipper but there such a bitch to start. It takes me like 20 seconds to align the damn things just right so the zipper will start. If I were to design a jacket I'd use use a one way main zip with an upside down 6" one way beside it to give relief...

Now on to buttons, anyone know if BBS makes replacement buttons? I'm looking for replacements for the double leather cuff link style ones. I took a blazer to be dry cleaned and didn't think to remove those and sure enough they removed and managed to lose them. I'm needing 4 :/
                          -v_o_t
                          sale items

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Anyone know what one could apply to their super-blingy rick zip pull that could dull it down a bit? I thought maybe acetone, but testing that theory proved a failure.

Thoughts?

Comment

• endorphinz
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2009

I haven't seen the new zips but what about buffing it with a very fine sandpaper or emery board or fine steel wool?

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

good idea...will try that. I'm testing my methods on one of the inside zippers.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎