Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collection Privee? v. Fiorentini + Baker v. N.D.C. made by hand, and other mid-priced footwear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eugenius
    • Sep 2007

Re: Collection Privee? v. Fiorentini + Baker v. N.D.C. made by hand, and other mid-priced footwear.

I agree w/ the general consensus here on the NDC shoes..I had never heard about them until perusing the pages of tFS, and I thought "Great, yet another brand that's only available in NYC (sigh..)." But lo & behold, Barneys opened here in Beantown, and they had them there..So I picked up the brown brogue and have been wearing them faithfully since. The only thing I dont like about them is the fit..about a half-size too big..but I blame that on the salesman who didnt know how to sell them properly..So now I wear them w/ an extra pair of socks to fill out the size, which thus adds just a little bit more comfort than before..Oh, and they didnt tear up my ankles when I first bought them, as if they were already broken in...Definitely worth the $410 that I paid for...

Now if only I can find the patent leather ones that bakla posted :/

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Collection Privee? v. Fiorentini + Baker v. N.D.C. made by hand, and other mid-priced footwear.

Eugenius, have you tried an extra sole?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bakla
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="eugenius"]

I agree w/ the general consensus here on the NDC shoes..I had never heard about them until perusing the pages of tFS, and I thought "Great, yet another brand that's only available in NYC (sigh..)." But lo & behold, Barneys opened here in Beantown, and they had them there..So I picked up the brown brogue and have been wearing them faithfully since. The only thing I dont like about them is the fit..about a half-size too big..but I blame that on the salesman who didnt know how to sell them properly..So now I wear them w/ an extra pair of socks to fill out the size, which thus adds just a little bit more comfort than before..Oh, and they didnt tear up my ankles when I first bought them, as if they were already broken in...Definitely worth the $410 that I paid for...

Now if only I can find the patent leather ones that bakla posted :/

[/quote]

They don't make those spray-painted oxfords anymore, but depending on your size, you should check out Jake in Chicago - they have the NDC Luxors in a patent, quite possibly on 60% off sale. What size do you have right now? And don't go by the website - they aren't updated with sale prices yet. I would call the first store on their store list.

Comment

• Komakino
          • Sep 2007

Does anyone know if N.D.C. have a web site?

Graham

For purchasing information please email campbell@darklandsberlin.com

Comment

• modern77
            • Oct 2006

n.d.c. made by hand original footwear and accessories provide understated individualism. Hand made with the highest quality materials and exquisite finishing.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Ok, so I am joining the club of those who swore off Officine Creative. I realized in the last rain that mine are not waterproof. You gotta be f-ing kidding that a boot at that price let water in?!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Ok, so I am joining the club of those who swore
                off Officine Creative. I realized in the last rain that mine are not
                waterproof. You gotta be f-ing kidding that a boot at that price let
                water in?!
                [/quote]

(This is something of a crosspost). I own two pairs of OC
                boots, paid 360 total for both pairs. Not worth it at that price. One
                pair has held together after only a half dozen wearings, the other pair
                has needed two repairs after fewer than 10 wearings. The glued sole is
                coming off the shoe. I'm actually wearing the pair that needed two
                repairs already, and I glanced down at my feet, they are coming off the
                sole in a third fucking place. Gonna get me some superglue, these
                things aren't worth bringing to a cobbler a third time.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• generic_guy
                  • Mar 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

faust and others, what are you experiences with the Moma boots? I kinda regret not pulling the trigger on those CDiem lookalikes that show up on yoox every so often.

I figure those would be in this discussion as well since they definitely are an inexpensive alternative to super-high end footwear options.

[/quote]

I was going to mention Moma, think they have a vaguely similar aesthetic to Cdiem etc but are available dirt cheap (comparatively).

I have 2 pairs and I'm really pleased with them, both pairs been worn a fair bit, brown ones were just under $180 from an outlet and blacks were ~ $140 from Yoox.

They look quite shiny in the pics but that's just because I had to use flash. Leather seems quite decent on both.

Comment

• aruva
                    • Dec 2007

[quote user="generic_guy"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

faust and others, what are you experiences with the Moma boots? I kinda regret not pulling the trigger on those CDiem lookalikes that show up on yoox every so often.

I figure those would be in this discussion as well since they definitely are an inexpensive alternative to super-high end footwear options.

[/quote]

I was going to mention Moma, think they have a vaguely similar aesthetic to Cdiem etc but are available dirt cheap (comparatively).

I have 2 pairs and I'm really pleased with them, both pairs been worn a fair bit, brown ones were just under $180 from an outlet and blacks were ~ $140 from Yoox.

They look quite shiny in the pics but that's just because I had to use flash. Leather seems quite decent on both.

[/quote]

I bought a couple of them from Yoox. Most comfortable and very well made.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                      • Jan 2008

i have a pair of officine creative. worn them maybe 10 times. insoles have started pulling up when i pull my foot out. so far not as much of a nuisance as i expect it will become in the future.
                      Originally posted by ddohnggo
                      fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• Pinoy
                        • Dec 2006

I've got a pair of Fiorentini + Baker boots and the inside sole is lined with cloth. Due to the heat and moisture that develops inside a boot, the cloth has started to lift and peel. Had them replaced with leather insoles today. As for my Officine creatives, they have been holding up great. What worries me are my CDiems.. the leather insole is starting to pull up when i pull my foot out as well!! :(

Comment

• m.inya
                          • Feb 2008

I'll comment on Butteros --

I've owned a pair of the black lace-up workboots (whose shape is nearly identical to the classic Cdiem laceups) and am very pleased. The leather is nice, very sturdy and very stiff -- it took a long while for them to break in, and they still haven't developed very nice creases. That's my main problem with them, actually, that they don't crease as nicely as they should. But they maintain their original shape well, and with frequent conditioning and polishing, the leather stays in fantastic condition, and retains its very very deep black color.

The other problem on mine is the heel cup-piece, which on older Butteros was simply glued on. The newer Butteros have this piece stitched to the shaft, which is what I'm going to have to end up doing to mine because they're becoming unglued. Overall, I'm very happy with them and I think they're worth the price ($375)

Comment

• viv1984viv
                            • Feb 2008

I like butteros, so I emailed them asking if there were any stockist's in the UK, if not who would be best to buy from etc, I got an all caps one word answear of "NO". Thought it wasn't very helpful of them and bordering on rude...

I own 2 NDC, I dont find them comfortable, they have given me lots of blisters.

I have some Costume National Homme - great, very very pleased with em.

Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• mamaboy
                              • Mar 2008

[quote user="m.inya"]

I'll comment on Butteros -- I've owned a pair of the black lace-up workboots (whose shape is nearly identical to the classic Cdiem laceups) and am very pleased. The leather is nice, very sturdy and very stiff -- it took a long while for them to break in, and they still haven't developed very nice creases. That's my main problem with them, actually, that they don't crease as nicely as they should. But they maintain their original shape well, and with frequent conditioning and polishing, the leather stays in fantastic condition, and retains its very very deep black color.

The other problem on mine is the heel cup-piece, which on older Butteros was simply glued on. The newer Butteros have this piece stitched to the shaft, which is what I'm going to have to end up doing to mine because they're becoming unglued. Overall, I'm very happy with them and I think they're worth the price ($375)

[/quote]

i have same butteros-just love them

i ve got pair of augusta shoes--i love them,but they look just like pair of old shoes,.....anybody?

but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

Damn,just when I thought I found a reasonably priced boot that perfectly fits the bill, I find this thread with everyone knocking on Officine Creative. These here boots from Barney's look perfect, but is the quality really that bad? I've never owned a pair, but the experiences on this thread have me turned off now. They have a similar pair of lace up boots by buttero, but style wise the OC boots look so much better to me.
                                I've tried to like NDC given the great quality for the price everyone raves about. But I just can't get into buying shoes that look so beat up with the horribly curved and creased toe. Do they make any models that they don't run over with a truck?

music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎