X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Hudson St in NYC will be hot.

They are generally carrying the same lines, except for the NY store they chose to not stock the likes of Ann, Margiela, and Lanvin probably for fear that there are already too many stockists for those brands.

But to be honest, whether the store down the street carries the same brand, it can look completely different with a good buy. Just like Atelier's buys are very much their own, I think Aloharag could do the same but for other brands.

Being in Tribeca they now have to bring the clientele to them as It's not like Soho, where you can throw a rock and hit a designer boutique in any direction. Atelier and Rick Owens will do well in Tribeca as they give their clients a reason to travel down there. But Aloharag, carrying lines you can find at Barneys Co Op or Scoop or Opening Ceremony and then pairing it with the likes Lucien Pellat-Finet and Galliano....It just doesn't compute.

I just think, in NY, where competition is hard, you have to set yourself apart from the rest.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• deleuze
      • Jul 2007

Yeah except there's no Galliano or Pellat-Finet. Maybe they're just waiting for the are to explode like Soho then they might be ideally positioned.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Aloharag could really fill a niche if they brought in Ann and did a
        more interesting buy. It seems everyone who carries Ann in NYC
        (except Atelier's tiny but good buy) buys the same boring crap and
        almost no one carries XS or XXS which is necessary for her
        clothes. Even when the collection is good, there is nary a good
        piece to be found in NYC stores, there's always better stuff on the
        internet. How many $200+ tanks and tees does one need to chose
        from at a store like Barney's or Jeffery!!!
        music

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="deleuze"]Yeah except there's no Galliano or Pellat-Finet. Maybe they're just waiting for the are to explode like Soho then they might be ideally positioned.[/quote]

So basically, they carry Philip Lim for men? lulz

Comment

• CHRIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="casem83"]Aloharag could really fill a niche if they brought in Ann and did a more interesting buy. It seems everyone who carries Ann in NYC (except Atelier's tiny but good buy) buys the same boring crap and almost no one carries XS or XXS which is necessary for her clothes. Even when the collection is good, there is nary a good piece to be found in NYC stores, there's always better stuff on the internet. How many $200+ tanks and tees does one need to chose from at a store like Barney's or Jeffery!!![/quote]

kind of an aside, but i've given up [almost] entirely on her menswear since her cutting is getting larger and larger. the women's line is not only much more interesting, but perfectly suitable for smaller guys...

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"][quote user="ddohnggo"]

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]thome browne jordan used to a while ago...so i dont know. i got the impression it was karlo but then i dont get how jordan squeezed in.
              [/quote]

that's just my impression. i could definitely be wrong and you should try if you want a job there. you have the look and i'm sure you're knowledgeable of the lines that they carry so that's a plus.

[/quote]

naw i mean from as far as i understand jordan used to do the buying for A which wouldnt really make sense if karlo was the only one who always did the buying. i was just joking about applying to be a SA ;)

[/quote]

lol, did Jordan tell you that?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

They are generally carrying the same lines, except for the NY store they chose to not stock the likes of Ann, Margiela, and Lanvin probably for fear that there are already too many stockists for those brands.

But to be honest, whether the store down the street carries the same brand, it can look completely different with a good buy. Just like Atelier's buys are very much their own, I think Aloharag could do the same but for other brands.

Being in Tribeca they now have to bring the clientele to them as It's not like Soho, where you can throw a rock and hit a designer boutique in any direction. Atelier and Rick Owens will do well in Tribeca as they give their clients a reason to travel down there. But Aloharag, carrying lines you can find at Barneys Co Op or Scoop or Opening Ceremony and then pairing it with the likes Lucien Pellat-Finet and Galliano....It just doesn't compute.

I just think, in NY, where competition is hard, you have to set yourself apart from the rest.

[/quote]

They are still technically in SoHo. It's called West SoHo, or whatever... I wouldn't be surprised if Ann pulled a plug on them because of Atelier and IF. Same with Margiela - no one can mess with IF in that department in the same neighborhood.

Xadam is right though - if they are smart about it, they could've pulled it off maybe. I don't think a cookie cutter store will do well in that area - there is virtually no foot traffic there.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Yea, they're not too far from the Margiela boutique as well so I could definitely see those brands not wanting to be sold in their new store.

I just think they need a draw to get people out there and with the brands they carry now, it's definitely not going to making people go the extra distance.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                    • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"][quote user="ddohnggo"]

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]thome browne jordan used to a while ago...so i dont know. i got the impression it was karlo but then i dont get how jordan squeezed in.
                    [/quote]

that's just my impression. i could definitely be wrong and you should try if you want a job there. you have the look and i'm sure you're knowledgeable of the lines that they carry so that's a plus.

[/quote]

naw i mean from as far as i understand jordan used to do the buying for A which wouldnt really make sense if karlo was the only one who always did the buying. i was just joking about applying to be a SA ;)

[/quote]

lol, did Jordan tell you that?

[/quote]

more or less. though i was pretty drunk when we had the conversation and he's a pal so if he never was i guess i just understood incorrectly and should squash it at that.

Comment

• firstlove
                      • Apr 2008

i stopped by aloharag in NYC, and i was dissappointed. :( they certainlyshould replace their current stocks...

Comment

• jak1
                        • Dec 2007

Aloha Rag death watch clock starting at 90 days.. that is even less time then I give Britney Spears.

Comment

• stickliy
                          • Jan 2008

Stupid question but when A moves to their new location will they been bringing in Fall/Winter collections right away

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I'd say their move will not affect the delivery schedule.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

I have this genius idea for a store; it would be at the CdG store location, carry CdG and other brands under their umbrella and be, in all aspects, exactly like the CdG store. Now this is where my wonderful idea comes in; the smallest size carried wouldn't be medium but an x-small. Wow, someone give me a prize!!!
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Fuuma, you are full of good ideas.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎