X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.inya
    • Feb 2008

Re: good, cheap dress shirts

[quote user="Faust"]/\ I am reading No Logo, and I feel awfully good that the stuff I wear is made in belgium, italy, and france. I know it's increasingly not the case, but the stories in that book are so disturbing that at least I'd like to think that my $ are not going to support union busting sweatshops where children work for 20 cents an hour.
    [/quote][derail]

for an amusing counterpoint to Naomi Klein (I'll admit, she irritates the living hell out of me), check out this book: (its original Canadian title, "The Rebel Sell," is a hell of a lot catchier...)

http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Rebels-Counterculture-Consumer-Culture/dp/006074586X/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205471795&sr=8

by no means a perfect read, but it provides a refreshing alternative viewpoint, that I found myself agreeing with quite a bit. [/derail]

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]

Good point. My boyriend is currently reading her other book "Disaster Capitalism" and getting quite worked up by it. Meanwhile I'm reading James Twitchell's "Branded Nation: The Marketing of Megachurch, College Inc, and Museumeworld" which is making me completely disgusted with the higher ed marketing machine and the art world. We should start a book club!

But anyway, the original post said "cheap dress shirts" and I imagine most other options mentioned (uniqlo, h&m) would have the same problem. It's difficult, because with the deep corruption of mega corporations and the way they reach into our lives, it's nearly impossible to consume everything ethically, so I find it difficult to judge others consumption because we can always be called out on something ourselves if we get preachy (I'm not directing this at you Faust, just in general). But at the same time, I try to avoid products that come from particularly egregious means of production and I respect others who do the same. Now I'm feeling guilty about those J. Crew shirts...

[/quote]

no, i hear you - we all bought something like that, most probably unknowingly - certainly not preaching here.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="m.inya"]

[quote user="Faust"]/\ I am reading No Logo, and I feel awfully good that the stuff I wear is made in belgium, italy, and france. I know it's increasingly not the case, but the stories in that book are so disturbing that at least I'd like to think that my $ are not going to support union busting sweatshops where children work for 20 cents an hour.
        [/quote][derail]

for an amusing counterpoint to Naomi Klein (I'll admit, she irritates the living hell out of me), check out this book: (its original Canadian title, "The Rebel Sell," is a hell of a lot catchier...)

http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Rebels-Counterculture-Consumer-Culture/dp/006074586X/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205471795&sr=8

by no means a perfect read, but it provides a refreshing alternative viewpoint, that I found myself agreeing with quite a bit. [/derail]

[/quote]

yep, i've heard ot it. what's the counterpoint of the rebel sell to no logo? there are two chapters (alt.everything and patriarchy gets funky) in no logo that seems to address the same thing?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
          • Jan 2007

for cheap dress shirts, i had a few made at a local MTM place that looks more like a factory...the guy is an apprentice of my grandfather's friend, who also used to be a shirtmaker. $25 USD a pop, fits well and is surprisingly well made for such a cheap shirt, better than anything out of a high street chain or even some lower high end brands. The only problem is he really cut corners with fabric and some areas need more (like the cuff can barely cover my wrist when buttoned).

dont think that really helps, but i guess my advice would be see if there's any cheap MTM places in your area.

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

[quote user="Servo2000"]

Mytailor doesn't look like a terrible option at all. They don't seem to have as small a collar as I usually like, but I'm tempted to give a "traditional collar #2" a shot. Can't go too wrong at those prices.

[/quote]

You can specify all the dimensions of the collar IIRC. I know I specified point length and collar spread. If BA hadn't lost my luggage I'd show some of the vastly different collars they've done up for me.

The big reason I would say CEGO is better is the stitching. MyTailor makes a brilliant shirt for the money, but the side seams and arm seams (not the yoke, etc), are kind of "chunky" looking

Hmmm, looking again, it looks like you can only specify collar style, point length, and height in back, spread width will have to come from the choice of design :( If you order some, make sure to specify interlining, their fused collars are like armor.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• desultory
              • Aug 2007

Slightly disturbed you came to this forum to ask that question. Why not just surf the net or is that too taxing?

Comment

• denimfan
                • Feb 2008

Robert Graham makes some great stuff. I think he has some $100 and a bit less.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎