• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I do, bestial :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

My M65 from the Junya Watanabe biker collection is water resistant. I love that jacket. When you walk around in it in a rain, big water drops actually form on top of it, because the jacket is completely water proof. It's very beautiful actually. Next season Undercover will most probably have water resistant garments.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cabl3
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        not really. if anything, it's dysfunctional, because it prevents the garment from breathing.
        This is true, I polyurethane coated some trousers of mine and they weren't really that great to wear in the summer. I find that light wax coatings work better for pants/trousers while PU is more adequate for outerwear.
        "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
        - Wilde

Comment

• bestial
          • Jun 2008

I do, bestial :-)
          well, actually.. some of my latest purchases is too, hah, in some way.

have a order coming in soon, I hope, that maybe should go in to this category.

Comment

• DRRRK
            • Aug 2009

Does anybody know when sale starts in Japan? Especially in online-stores as V-Rooms? And what reductions can be expected?

Comment

• jgan85
              • Apr 2008

hemming twisted seam pants

I have a pair of rag&bone twisted seam chinos which are too long for me (I estimate by about 3"-4") - based on your experiences with J-jeans, twisted seam pants, etc. etc., would hemming it defeat the purpose of buying twisted seam pants (stacking)? Or does it not stack well because of the material (not denim, just cotton)? If that's the case I might as well sell it and use the cash to buy something else.

Thanks for your help!

J
              ________
              Zx14 vs hayabusa
              Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• beardown
                rekoner
                • Feb 2009

J,
                The J-jeans and twisted seams are a little bit different.
                A 'j-jean' needs the gathering effect to make the shape work and you can likely stack 3-4" on a j-jean pretty easily...they are naturally longer. I think if you measure around the curve, most of the inseams on those are like 38" or longer.
                A twisted seam on the other hand, needs length to bunch up on the bottom leg. Usually, twisted seam pants have a little flair at the bottom to accommodate that dramatic look you get from a subtle twist.
                I haven't seen the Rag & Bone versions but I have a pair of Julius that are about 3" too long for me but I wear them tucked into boots or gathered up on boots.
                I'd say if they're too long to sell and finance another pair that fit more to your liking.
                You might take a photo and post a WAWYT to get some other opinions but if the flair and length are too much, cutting those last 3" off would really change the effect of how twisted pants are supposed to fit.

Originally posted by jgan85 View Post
                I have a pair of rag&bone twisted seam chinos which are too long for me (I estimate by about 3"-4") - based on your experiences with J-jeans, twisted seam pants, etc. etc., would hemming it defeat the purpose of buying twisted seam pants (stacking)? Or does it not stack well because of the material (not denim, just cotton)? If that's the case I might as well sell it and use the cash to buy something else.

Thanks for your help!

J
                Originally posted by mizzar
                Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• jgan85
                  • Apr 2008

thanks beardown! never knew they were different just figured J-shapes were more curved than the twisted seam type..

J

EDIT - thanks Mona, yup looks like I'll have to look for a similar pair.
                  ________
                  ANAL CHINESE
                  Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• fadetogrey
                    • Apr 2009

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a question for the men here (which I guess would be most of the board) about how they shop and decide to spend their money.

I am female.
                    I have a "master list" of things that I want in my wardrobe. The problem is, that I find that myself inclined to shop on impulse and stray away from these "perfect items" for whatever reason. I also have no willpower, and will buy something even if I can't afford it (ie. put it on my credit card) and somehow justify it to myself. I know these things might be more personal and not related to being male or female, but I want to get a handle on these things and stay focused. I find that all of my male friends, even if they are into fashion (and spend more money on it than the average man), seem to have these things under control.

How do you guys shop? What are your personal shopping rules?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

That's definitely a big question. It seems like we've had this discussion before.

Don't buy anything you can't afford is definitely not one of the rules. Obviously I would not go crazy (my credit card balance is $0 as of today), but I have bought things I could not afford. I rarely make impulse purchases unless they are very cheap (under $100). Some rules:

1. Attractiveness of an item varies directly with its price.
                      2. Holy grails are holy for a reason.
                      3. Don't buy stuff just because it's cheap (conflicts with #1, but I've been working on #3 quite successfully over this year - I know I am not going to buy another pair of black pants even if God or Poell made them.)

I can't think of anything else. Look, shopping is impulsive, because it entails acquiring beautiful objects, and beauty is impulsive. It just comes out of nowhere. You think, "Ok, I have everything I want," and the Ann Demeulemeester show is the next day. Ooops... And in a way it's great - it enriches the world.

I've also been slowly selling off the old stuff that I no longer wear. It feels really good to see an edited-down closet.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jamesd
                        • Sep 2008

I try really hard not to buy anything the first time I see it (I will go home to think about it and then go back to the store) unless I have the ability to return it.

Comment

• cabl3
                          • Dec 2008

I agree, if we didnt buy things we couldnt afford, then it'd be pretty hard to get most of the items we like. (of course that depends on how much you make and, how you define "afford")

ftg and jamesd, I find that in the past I would fall victim to the impulse buy as well. Yet in the past two months or so, Ive saved myself so much money and regret on items that after a few days I thought "I'm glad I didnt get it". All it takes is wondering "can I live without it?" and if the answer is no that means I dont really want it. Keeping a strong focus on the things you REALLY want is important and in the end will build you a much more functional wardrobe.
                          "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
                          - Wilde

Comment

• Who?
                            • Aug 2007

Are the LUC school boy pants available in a heavy wool version? If not, can someone suggest a similarly cut pant in heavy wool?
                            WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• fadetogrey
                              • Apr 2009

shopping is impulsive, because it entails acquiring beautiful objects, and beauty is impulsive. It just comes out of nowhere. You think, "Ok, I have everything I want," and the Ann Demeulemeester show is the next day.
                              Haha, that makes sense to me- I guess a lot of my impulse shopping involves the acquiring of beautiful objects. I feel like my shoes are now saying "don't hate us because we're beautiful!" I think part of my motivation for buying things on impulse are that they will sell out and I will never find them again! Which I find is often the case with women's clothing/shoes.

I've also been slowly selling off the old stuff that I no longer wear. It feels really good to see an edited-down closet.
                              I constantly do this too, and I agree it feels really good to see an edited collection of clothes that all work together. I tend to hang onto some things for sentimental reasons even though I never wear them.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fadetogrey View Post
                                Haha, that makes sense to me- I guess a lot of my impulse shopping involves the acquiring of beautiful objects. I feel like my shoes are now saying "don't hate us because we're beautiful!" I think part of my motivation for buying things on impulse are that they will sell out and I will never find them again! Which I find is often the case with women's clothing/shoes.
                                Yes, I think with the women's it's more difficult. There is much more hype surrounding womenswear.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎