• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

shoe hounds...

I know this has been discussed at least a few times before but I have a horribly irritating squeak coming out of the sole of one of my boots. Like 'dog toy' squeak. Like I should be running around a circus ring throwing confetti at the audience squeak.

It's a Rick Owens boot...side zips with a crepe sole (a/w09). Everything I've read hints that the squeak is born between the insole and where it meets the outsole. The problem is that the insole is sewn down and there's no way to get to the squeak (solutions range from putting a napkin between the two pieces, putting glue in there, WD40 or other lubricant). It squeaks on every surface from carpet to concrete to tile so it's not an issue of the sole hitting whatever I'm walking on...I've tried everything I can think of so far and it's annoying as fuck...I just quit wearing them about 2 weeks ago and just recently took up the cause to find a solution.

If anyone has had a similar issue and solved it, please let me know. Or if you have any suggestions. I think removing the insole of these things would be next to impossible because there is stitching around it and likely a very strong adhesive keeping it down.

I know that squeaky shoes were once in fashion but it's driving me fucking nuts.
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• jamesd
      • Sep 2008

Does anybody have any pointers on how to navigate the Lift site? I know they have a lot of great stuff on there but I just can't figure out how to see what I want to see. For instance, do they have an online store?

Related is: is there a way to search on Lazzari so that the pieces are displayed in chronological order? It seems to me that when they add a new piece, they simply stick it in the middle of the collection so it's hard to tell when in fact something new has come in.

Comment

• Ivans On High
        Banned
        • Oct 2008

beardown,

I had a similar problem with a pair of shoes where the glue holding the insole in place would warm up after wear and become tacky. Evidently the insole didn't sit flush and with everystep it would pull away from the sole making a 'pop' noise. Like one of those old pop top toys.

Had to have it ripped out and re-glued.

Comment

• Ivans On High
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

My Question:

How do I reduce the 'waxed' effect on Ann D boots? I find that the heavy waxing on the boots limits what I can wear them with, and if they were straight black they would be more versatile.

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
            My Question:

How do I reduce the 'waxed' effect on Ann D boots? I find that the heavy waxing on the boots limits what I can wear them with, and if they were straight black they would be more versatile.
            Put some black polish. But it's a pity : you should have bought them in the plain black version.

Comment

• Ivans On High
              Banned
              • Oct 2008

They dont come in plain black as far as I can tell. Rather than polish over them, I would just like to expediate the natural process of the wear and tear of the wax coating.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

Depends on the material : "Waxed" cordovan ? Waxed horse leather ? Waxed calf ?

If this is leather and not cordovan, try to clean the wax/oil with a good leather cleaning cream. I can only give you advices on the french brands, sorry.
                Same for cordovan - but with a specific cleaner. But I don't think cordovan can be waxed - or has to. It is already saturated with oil.

This is the safest process, if not the most efficient. Of course there are other ways, more agressive, but I would not use them on expensive Ann D boots.

More important : you seem to believe that this wax is a superficial application that with disappear with wear. If this is real wax leather, it wont, since the leather is impregnated with it. That means you'd have to completely dry the boots out of their oil.

Do you have any close-ups from those boots ?
                Last edited by Mail-Moth; 09-12-2009, 11:20 AM.
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• Chant
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2008

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                    • Mar 2009

Christian : they're not somewhat greasy at touch, are they ?
                    This is not waxing in a traditionnal sense for what I see. Rather some kind of patina.

I don't see how those boots could lose this color with wear. A cobbler could color them in black for you, but frankly, Christian is right, it's a pity.

Or try black cream - not polish. Cream will penetrate deeper and nourish the leather rather than drying it.

Comment

• Chant
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                      Christian : they're not somewhat greasy at touch, are they ?
                      Not at all.

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                        • Mar 2009

It's most probably just a "waxy" finish, then - a patina. > Cobbler.

Comment

• beardown
                          rekoner
                          • Feb 2009

Thanks for the input, Ivans. I was afraid that was basically the only solution.
                          Originally posted by mizzar
                          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mail-Moth View Post
                            It's most probably just a "waxy" finish, then - a patina. > Cobbler.
                            Yes, you are correct, it is just a waxy finish. I tried a little spit and polish on a small section with a white cloth and there was a noticeable residue left on the cloth, so I am sure the finish will evolve with wear. Whether or not the 'wax' finish will lessen is another question I guess.

Comment

• sargon97
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                              I know this has been discussed at least a few times before but I have a horribly irritating squeak coming out of the sole of one of my boots. Like 'dog toy' squeak. Like I should be running around a circus ring throwing confetti at the audience squeak.

It's a Rick Owens boot...side zips with a crepe sole (a/w09). Everything I've read hints that the squeak is born between the insole and where it meets the outsole. The problem is that the insole is sewn down and there's no way to get to the squeak (solutions range from putting a napkin between the two pieces, putting glue in there, WD40 or other lubricant). It squeaks on every surface from carpet to concrete to tile so it's not an issue of the sole hitting whatever I'm walking on...I've tried everything I can think of so far and it's annoying as fuck...I just quit wearing them about 2 weeks ago and just recently took up the cause to find a solution.

If anyone has had a similar issue and solved it, please let me know. Or if you have any suggestions. I think removing the insole of these things would be next to impossible because there is stitching around it and likely a very strong adhesive keeping it down.

I know that squeaky shoes were once in fashion but it's driving me fucking nuts.
                              A DECENT cobble should be able to fix this no problem. However, seems like a defect, and if you just got them why don't you send them back?

Comment

• bestial
                                • Jun 2008

to you who own one of the square luc hats, how's the fit? I heard from the boutique I'm planning on buying from that they are pretty small. I guess I have a normal sized head for a european.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎