X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

God, people are stupid. Way to go to keep alienating store owners that are looking to connect with their audience. First christianef with her paranoid delusions, and now this. Jesus.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deleuze
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      God, people are stupid. Way to go to keep alienating store owners that are looking to connect with their audience. First christianef with her paranoid delusions, and now this. Jesus.
      Faust, I think this is a valid concern as just about every online store operating out of France and Italy deducts the VAT. Considering the VAT can reach as high as 20% plus duties in some countries (e.g. Canada) can reach as high as 30% when importing from Europe, there are a number of factors to consider when purchasing online. I don't think having forum affiliates should prevent comparison shopping and open discussion of store policies as these numbers are in no way trivial.

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

With the VAT thing, my understanding is that its likely to be the case that a business trading from inside the EU doed not need to charge (and therefore doed not need to account for/pay over) VAT on goods or services sold or supplied outside the EU. There are certain conditions that have to be met for this, forms to be filled in etc. If a store decides that it can't be arsed to do that, and charges VAT, then it would certianly have to account for the VAT, so wouldn't be pocketing the difference. If it doesn't charge VAT but hasn't got it right, there is a risk that it would have to account for VAT where it hasn't charged it, and thus be out of pocket.

Comment

• RADO
          • Nov 2007

As far as know, the VAT of 19% applied in Germany could be refunded when applying through some kind of TAX FREE company who deducts its fees from the amount to be refunded itself. They will credit on your credit card in some days depends on each country.
          Some European stores provide that service to their customers when having an agreement with those TAX FREE companies and they fulfil the forms with the customer’s data when paying.
          However I do not know how they do ON-LINE and those who have bought on YOOX, and other on-line shop may have more experience.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

its of course a legitimate question and topic, I think the problem here was the suggestion of Darklands pulling money from in between. maybe it wasn't a serious allegation but I can see how it could be perceived as somewhat offensive.

oh, and its worth noting that even though its the European Union, taxation is still based on the legislation of each country. the EU might make the VAT reduction possible, but I'm not certain if its the same process in every country, so comparing Italian stores with a German one isn't necessarily straight forward.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by deleuze View Post
              Faust, I think this is a valid concern as just about every online store operating out of France and Italy deducts the VAT. Considering the VAT can reach as high as 20% plus duties in some countries (e.g. Canada) can reach as high as 30% when importing from Europe, there are a number of factors to consider when purchasing online. I don't think having forum affiliates should prevent comparison shopping and open discussion of store policies as these numbers are in no way trivial.
              Your only valid concern should be whether you want to buy something or not. This talk has been smacking too strongly of counting other people's money. No store is mandated to refund money as far as I understand. Some stores choose to do it in order to lower prices. Others don't do it and pay taxes on the full price of what they sell.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Wax
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Wax View Post
                quick question, where could someone get thin waxed laces, black or white? Never really found a store that sells them...
                especially laces like this would be intersting: without the leather tab ofc
                any laces that are waxed would do the job, dont have to be shoe laces.

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Your only valid concern should be whether you want to buy something or not. This talk has been smacking too strongly of counting other people's money. No store is mandated to refund money as far as I understand. Some stores choose to do it in order to lower prices. Others don't do it and pay taxes on the full price of what they sell.
                  I strongly disagree. First, of course accusing Darklands of "pocketing the difference" is absurd.

Second, though, European webstores almost all remove VAT, and almost all also have a FAQ explaining VAT policy for international shipping. I can certainly see why people (myself included) would be curious what the policy is with regards to VAT. Purchasing in person at a store in the EU, I would keep my receipt and submit it at the airport to recover my VAT because I, as a non-EU citizen, do not owe their taxes. I have my own taxes to pay. Finding out how to get back taxes I should not pay is something I find quite reasonable.

Now, clearly something went wrong with tone and implication that kind of undermined civil conversation, and that sucks. But, being told that not wanting to pay european taxes smacks of "counting other people's money" is kind of offputting.

EDIT(nth): Also, I don't think it should necessarily be Darklands' responsibility to handle VAT exemption or whatever it is called, but it would be nice if it were clearer how to do this on the customer end. Google has really betrayed me here.
                  Last edited by theetruscan; 10-20-2009, 02:03 PM. Reason: Phrasing sucked.
                  Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

My point is that as far as I understand a store doesn't have to do it. It's not mandatory. Actually, they will probably pay more taxes in the end.

Your last point is kind of moot - Europeans pay sales tax in the US, no matter what.

Anyway, I understand the concern - I just think that this could be voiced more diplomatically.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fenrost
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2009

In regard with Darklands, ..to say they are pocketing the difference, it's quite uncalled for... I have great experience dealing with them, they are passionate reaching out the customers.. always make sure sizing is right and stock availability etc.. and agree with theaddict.. their pricing is already competitive to anywhere else + free shipping.. i would be gladly to pay the inclusive VAT.

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                      I hope the sellers don't mind. I am insecure about the amount of offers for the same Obscur jacket. I was interested in one, then found out that two others are for sale. Instead of saying hooray because I can choose between three different sizes I am confused. I have already had contact with one seller who was so nice that I should not be insecure, but I am am.
                      To the sellers: still interested, still not sure about the size.
                      Hi. To answer your question, I think I should bring this to public as well because you're not alone about the insecurity.. - there are, (not 50 in pm, sorry).. 30 jackets of this were made. It is inevitable some will sell them, and most will keep them. As the matter of fact, I get more interest on this jacket as oppose to my julius rider. Anyway, my obscur jacket is sold to a good home, hopefully he can rock the jacket like others as seen in waywt.. which made them why they are highly sought after.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                        I strongly disagree. First, of course accusing Darklands of "pocketing the difference" is absurd.
                        I did explain that I only used Darklands as an example, as it is the only European store I have dealt with which does not have prices which exclude VAT for orders outside the EU.

I just wanted some clarification, and after initially emailing Darklands on the matter I was met with an extremely rude response, so thought I would ask here instead.

My point is that as far as I understand a store doesn't have to do it. It's not mandatory. Actually, they will probably pay more taxes in the end.
                        And you are right, as far as I see it, that a store doesn't have to offer the item tax free. But if they don't they are acting as a tax agent and the tax is payable to the government obviously. It is, however, not so far out there to assume there may be stores, who after processing the sale, will use the international invoice to recoup the VAT. Of course we could just keep our heads in the sand and pretend like everyone is honest...

edit: It also appears, through this discussion, that this would be a worthwhile topic to add to the Inane Questions thread - once we work out the VAT system that is.

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

please refrain from personal attacks. or i'll issue a few of my own. it's not my fault atelier left, though i think it was wise of them.

does butter do international orders?

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post

I believe they do; if not, i can help you....i need an excuse to go out there.
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• jcotteri
                              • Jun 2008

I have been holding my tounge on this subject but this kind of retort is childish and ill thought out.
                              WTB: This

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                                please refrain from personal attacks. or i'll issue a few of my own. it's not my fault atelier left, though i think it was wise of them.

why don't you leave, before i throw you out?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎