• dji
    • Feb 2008

Re: reverse leather

^ yeah its just a fancy term for suede

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

[quote user="ironman"]i hope this hasn't been asked already, but i've see the term "reverse leather" thrown around a lot. is it just suede or something? if not, can someone explain what this is? thanksinadvance![/quote]

To the best of my understanding, suede originally was reverse leather, cut to an even height and brushed. Suede, now, can be either reverse leather (reverse calf being the only one I know), or normal leather with the top cut off, and the piece underneath brushed.

From The Encyclopedia of Men's Shoes:

Suede ?
      (also called Reverse Calf) split leather, usually of lambskin, doeskin
      or cowhide that has been buffed on the flesh side to raise a slight
      nap. The word comes from part of the French phrase, ?gants de Suède?,
      meaning ?gloves of Sweden?.

Usually a
      fall season material, suede was once considered only for country shoes.
      The Duke of Windsor made them popular for more sophisticated city wear
      when he wore brown suede shoes with his flannel suit to the Long Island
      Meadowbrook Country Club in 1924. By the 1930's suede was popular with
      everyone.

That would be a CD Rom from Andy of Ask Andy about Clothes fame. His stuff can be a bit fancy/dated/traditional, there is definitely suede made by napping the top of non-reversed leather, but from what I can tell, it's of lower quality, though I don't know why.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• ironman
        • Apr 2008

i see; thanks theetruscan! so basically reverse leather would be the traditional/better suede?..that would sorta explain why it would be a big deal when items like reverse ram leather shirts and junk show up

Comment

• James Vincent
          • Dec 2007

There isn't dramatic classes of suede like there is top grain leathers. The price of suede is more to do with the properties / scarcity of the animal it was sourced from and less to do with any processing shortcuts or simulation. Suede is, for the most part, already less expensive than top grain leather.

You can imagine that there is going to be less damage / flaws on the underside of skin as opposed to the top side; which spends its life being scratched up in a yard. Leather that is too poor a quality for high end purposes (fashion goods, for instance), will often be utilised in suede production.

Comment

• Huxley
            • Dec 2007

Drkshdw berlin jeans

How do Drkshdw berlin jeans fit? Does anyone have any fit pictures? Thanks.

Comment

• MCHL
              • Jun 2008

Re: Drkshdw berlin jeans

[quote user="Huxley"]How do Drkshdw berlin jeans fit? Does anyone have any fit pictures? Thanks.
              [/quote]

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

I need feckin shorts

Any ideas on some nice shorts (no DD or any of your ninja shit) - something more "tailored"?

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

Re: I need feckin shorts

I liked a pair of Veronique Branquinho shorts I saw earlier this year. Fabric had just a slight sheen, pleated in an interesting way and folded cuff. Don't have a picture of it though...

edit:

I think they were these, looked much better in person!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Any ideas on some nice shorts (no DD or any of your ninja shit) - something more "tailored"?[/quote]

jil sander

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

actualy I quite like those VBs, but they are a little too short. I was thinking about the Tim Hamilton ones on BRowns that are a similar lenght, but I think i need to go to the knee. Mid thigh is, I don't know what exactly, but just a bit strange....on me anyway.

jil is a good shout too. any online resources for these things?

Comment

• mesh
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Johnny"]Any ideas on some nice shorts (no DD or any of your ninja shit) - something more "tailored"?[/quote]

jil sander

[/quote]

Faust is right, best shorts in the business. They hit slightly below the knee, slim,a beautiful silver grey linen blend with straps at either side of the waist. I think I read pnod has them also. LVR had them in a cheaper fabric on their site though nto sure if they're still up.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

What courier does Barneys use? Ordered something that ideally should've been here already from the SF store (could be delay because of the holidays, I guess). EDIT: Never mind, it's on their web page, duh. FEDEX, if anyone is interested.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                            • Nov 2006

Yeah they ship Fedex Ground which is a bit annoying as it usually takes a full week to get cross country.

Btw I got my stuff and I was extremely pleased, especially with the N(N) jacket - it's tailored to drape perfectly even down to the heavy zippers which weigh down the lightweight cash/cotton material. I'll get some pictures up soon of all my recent SS08 sale purchases.

Comment

• sharkweek
                              • Apr 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

jil sander

[/quote]

Marni always has some nice ones too

Comment

• landwolf
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2008

why-lip

Anybody with experience purchasing from why-lip willing to help me?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎