• Mar 2008

Does silk shrink in hot water ?
      Paris Proxy Service

Comment

• kanne
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by BBYY View Post
        Probably, but I would definitely hand-wash the garment since silk is quite delicate and a machine wash could destroy the fabric.
        If you want to shrink it, maybe try leaving it in the sun to dry and putting it in the dryer afterwards?

Comment

• Ivans On High
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

Is there a website with a schedule for major webstore sale times? I'm specifically looking for LVR...

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by kanne View Post
            Probably, but I would definitely hand-wash the garment since silk is quite delicate and a machine wash could destroy the fabric.
            If you want to shrink it, maybe try leaving it in the sun to dry and putting it in the dryer afterwards?
            leaving silk in the sun is pretty terrible advice, depending on the type of silk it may cause discoloration or fading.

as for shrinking, it also depends entirely on the type of silk. some will not shrink at all, others might.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• kanne
              • Jun 2009

Well, I was curious myself so I googled real quick and found this, but I guess that's not the best website to rely on with advertisement for vagina tightening cream on the side... Sorry.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

yea the advice there seems quite random. silk, like any other material, comes in many forms. some type of silk will not shrink at all, and some will probably be damaged by heat.

the advice on that site to throw just any sort of polyester garment into a hot dryer is equally bad
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• bestial
                  • Jun 2008

did we ever come to a conclusion about raw silk? it was discussed in the washing thread. IIRC it was said that raw silk shouldn't be put i water due to the fact that it was raw and hadn't been exposed to water in the process of making the garment?

Comment

• Originally posted by BBYY View Post
                    Most of the times..yes.

You should rather hand wash the silk garment in cold water, use a specific silk detergent (the one that is for wool and silk) and gently move the garment in the water, not to rub it too much. After about 10 minutes, gently squeeze the excess water out and dry it flat on a towel for example.

Or just dry clean it.

If you throw a silk garment in the regular wash (hot water and wrong detergent) it might shrink, the fibers might get rough, and the garment might lose color unevenly. I know because I've accidentally done that once to a black silk garment. Let's just say I've learned my lesson to check the laundry basket more carefully after that little incident...

Comment

• rider
                      eyes of the world
                      • Jun 2009

i'm sure this has been posted before and to most of you its probably second nature but for a newbie, how do i remove the label under construction screw tag? TIA

Comment

• magic
                        • Feb 2009

screwdriver, unloose one of the tiny screw will do^ beware of the silver wire as it might caught onto the fabric.
                        Focusing on object details

Comment

• Pontifex
                          • Jun 2010

not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes:

1) I'm visiting Berlin in two weeks time. Is the Berlin shopping map moderately updated (i know darklands have mooved...)?

2) Does any shop in Berlin stock Guidis?
                          oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Should be accurate apart from Darklands moving. See http://scoute.org/travel/berlin

Aside from Darklands, Andreas Murkudis stocks Guidi

Comment

• BBSCCP
                              • Feb 2010

who in europe stocks chin teo rings?

Comment

• Pontifex
                                • Jun 2010

thanks lowrey!
                                oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

Working...