X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mortalveneer
    • Jan 2008

skilled tailor/alterations in Chicago?

I just moved to Chicago and was wondering if anyone on here knew of a particularly talented tailor. I've got a couple pieces that require more than the basic dry-cleaner hem-and-stitch...

And a good cobbler while we're at it...
    I am not who you think I am

Comment

• mixmaster7_91
      • Oct 2010

Has anyone washed anything with Japanese paper in it? Thinking of washing one of my Devoa knits. Haven't washed it since I got it so probably about time for a clean.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
        • Jan 2011

i have not, i have a pure paper knit from leu so you let me know? i do believe its dry clean only because my knit came slightly damaged in places (paper stuck together) but from my wearing it it eventually unstuck and became good as new.

Comment

• voice_on_tape
          • Jun 2011

In the past, I have used Boguslaw on Oak St Downtown, great results but pretty pricey, do make sure you work only with Boguslaw though and not the polish woman that works for him. Cost me $250 to get 2 suits tailored, but that included lengthening the arms and almost completely re-shaping the pants....

18 reviews and 4 photos of BOGUSLAW "I hesitate to post this review because Boguslaw's got a lot of (surprisingly high-profile) clients in his tiny shop and still manages to turn things around fast ... I'm hoping this isn't one of those situations where too much business becomes a bad thing. The guy's had consistently glowing write-ups in every single Chicago style magazine, so I imagine the damage is done (insert bad joke about tailors and misunderstood Neil Young lyrics here). Summary: Boguslaw does impeccable work, knows his stuff, and is an extremely nice guy. I recently moved to Chicago and realized instead of shipping projects to my (also absolutely amazing) tailor back in DC, I needed to branch out and find somebody here. Three separate long-time residents gave me recommendations to go to Boguslaw on Oak St, and I am totally 100% sold on this man's genius. Tip: Take his advice. Every time I've been in his shop, he's been knee-deep in pinning folks who criticized his ideas and gave him a hard time. As a bystander checking out the work he was doing with his clients, he was absolutely right with every instinct. Looking in the mirror you may not be in love with his suggestions but take them anyway--everyone who sees you in his finished product will be."

For cobler, I've gotten great results from a guy on North Ave and Oakley its simply called "your shoe repair" his name is Elijah. They are reasonable for price and can do quick turn around. Some people use Sam the Shoe doctor, but he takes a long time. Elijah can get things done same day in most cases unless its a process that takes some drying time or something like that. And if you're in the neighborhood stop by Bonnie & Clydes on Division they just got theyre getting their f/w buy in and carry a lot of sz hyped lines....

Top 10 Best Your Shoe Repair in Chicago, IL - May 2024 - Yelp - Your Shoe Repair, Fix Your Kicks, Mariny's Shoe Repair, Imperial Shoe Services, Red Star Cobbler Shoe Repair, Serrano's Shoe Repair, Lou's Leather Care

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
          I just moved to Chicago and was wondering if anyone on here knew of a particularly talented tailor. I've got a couple pieces that require more than the basic dry-cleaner hem-and-stitch...

And a good cobbler while we're at it...
          -v_o_t
          sale items

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

What options do I have for repairing moth damage to my sweaters?

Comment

• Patroklus
              Banned
              • Feb 2011

Shoot. They're something like $200 sweaters, so reweaving might run pretty close to retail.

Do the reweaving services rebuild the knit with new yarn or is it just a darning process?

Comment

• HWith
                • May 2007

I just received my RO spiral zip boots from LvR. There seems to be a problem with the zip on the right boot which makes it almost impossible to zip beyond two points. It looks like the problem are two 'teeth' of the zipper that are slightly dislocated at those points. Now, it is possible to zip past them, but it takes a lot of work. I know sometimes zippers can be difficult, but this does seem to be caused by a faulty zipper.

Now, I was thinking wether I should return the boots and if they'd accept it - does anyone have that kind of experience with LvR?

Also I was thinking about keeping the boots and then claiming a discount - in that case, what would be fair? 15-20%? Also, I'm worried that the problem would get worse with time. In that case I'd rather get rid of the boots. Does anyone have this kind of experience with zippers?

Comment

• sshum88
                  • Dec 2007

I tried on a pair this week at the Palais Royale store and found that the zippers were a pain to zip up. I'm not sure if it is because they are new and will get easier with time, but I had to pull the two sides of the boot together while the SA pulled on the zipper. There were a couple of sticky points as well where the SA and I had to work the zipper up a little at at a time.

I don't have thick calves either so these are definitely not for one with bulging calves.

Originally posted by HWith View Post
                  I just received my RO spiral zip boots from LvR. There seems to be a problem with the zip on the right boot which makes it almost impossible to zip beyond two points. It looks like the problem are two 'teeth' of the zipper that are slightly dislocated at those points. Now, it is possible to zip past them, but it takes a lot of work. I know sometimes zippers can be difficult, but this does seem to be caused by a faulty zipper.

In that case I'd rather get rid of the boots. Does anyone have this kind of experience with zippers?
                  Originally posted by eat me
                  If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• HWith
                    • May 2007

Thanks for the reply!

I know the zippers are annoying, the left pair isn't too easy to zip either. It's just that the right pair is ... well, it's ridiculously hard to zip - even if I'm not wearing the boot. So it's not my leg that's too big. But yeah, I'll try and work a bit with the zipper.

Originally posted by sshum88 View Post
                    I tried on a pair this week at the Palais Royale store and found that the zippers were a pain to zip up. I'm not sure if it is because they are new and will get easier with time, but I had to pull the two sides of the boot together while the SA pulled on the zipper. There were a couple of sticky points as well where the SA and I had to work the zipper up a little at at a time.

I don't have thick calves either so these are definitely not for one with bulging calves.

Comment

• 8bpc
                      • May 2010

Any ideas on how to remove the shine on some leather boots, for example, the Corcoran Jump Boot (12 eye). I was thinking denatured alcohol might work.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by 8bpc View Post
                        Any ideas on how to remove the shine on some leather boots, for example, the Corcoran Jump Boot (12 eye). I was thinking denatured alcohol might work.
                        Please don't buy those. If you want matte army boots, go to a vintage or surplus store.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Phantom
                          • Mar 2011

Julius leathers

A small question about julius sizing. does the arms get long the bigger size you choose? or does all the sizes have the same lenght?

if if does how many cm's are the differences?

Comment

• shah
                            • Jul 2009

did Rei Kawakubo & co even do a boiled wool jacket this season ? didn't see any at atelier last time i checked...

Comment

• 8bpc
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              Please don't buy those. If you want matte army boots, go to a vintage or surplus store.
                              Actually found them in a surplus store. I do appreciate the advice.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by 8bpc View Post
                                a cobbler accidentally polished my boots, I scrubbed them with a wet towel and that got rid of most of the shine. it will ruin the towel though, but the result was pretty matte.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎