X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Can anyone tell me about "L.G.B."? Decent? Shitty? Yes? No?
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• cmitso412
      • Feb 2010

Does anyone know if Alan Bilzerian still stocks CCP? I don't see it on their website but I believe they had it in the past.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        What do you want to know exactly? It's considered very posh (urgh) in Japan, but occasionally I've encountered nice semi-casual pieces, especially from the women's collections.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Has anyone ever soaked a pair of Guidi boots in an effort to get the shaft to shrink down? The ones in question are used and I'm assuming the guy had bigger ankles than I have.

Or maybe the side zips have a less narrow ankle than the back zips that I've been used to?

Either way, I know that cold water can shrink leather...and I know that Guidi puts their boots through a rigorous beating/soaking/dyeing/washing so I'm wondering if soaking them would damage any part of them.

Was thinking more of just putting them upside down in a bucket of water where the soles aren't submerged but I have some hesitation about the whole process. I have done it with Rick combat boots once with good results but this is donkey leather (if that makes any difference) and I'd rather have the shafts large than to compromise the material or the construction.

Anyone ever attempt to shrink a leather shaft?
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• voice_on_tape
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by beardown View Post
            Has anyone ever soaked a pair of Guidi boots in an effort to get the shaft to shrink down? The ones in question are used and I'm assuming the guy had bigger ankles than I have.

Or maybe the side zips have a less narrow ankle than the back zips that I've been used to?

Either way, I know that cold water can shrink leather...and I know that Guidi puts their boots through a rigorous beating/soaking/dyeing/washing so I'm wondering if soaking them would damage any part of them.

Was thinking more of just putting them upside down in a bucket of water where the soles aren't submerged but I have some hesitation about the whole process. I have done it with Rick combat boots once with good results but this is donkey leather (if that makes any difference) and I'd rather have the shafts large than to compromise the material or the construction.

Anyone ever attempt to shrink a leather shaft?
            This question totally caused my shaft to shrink... Totally kidding lol. I would say with leather as material water should not damage its quality or inegrity. I would be more worried about finishing treatments as water can effect the tone of the leather and could strip some of the dyes used on the finish. but if that doesnt concern you you should have no real problems. I have washed and even put in the dryer a few of my leather jackets in the past. It will effect size, color and shape, but as for actual integrity of the leather I have never had a negative result.

Wasnt there some super expensive Russian hides found in a 200 year old sunken ship or something?
            -v_o_t
            sale items

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

/\

ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• voice_on_tape
                • Jun 2011

Yes thats it, i saw someone selling wallets made from this for like 3-400, which honestly seems like a steal considering how much an RO or Margiela wallet costs.... I kind of wish i would have bought one considering the historical value and what not of it...

edit...

here it is it was card cases for 185. shoulda grabbed one.

I have a couple of Russian Reindeer Leather Credit Card Wallets price for these are US $185 - one left!! for those that are not up to speed on this leather please follow the link http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/28/nyregion/a-200-year-old-gift-from-under-the-sea.html All prices are including...

2nd edit... perhaps this one is even better.

-v_o_t
                sale items

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

The answer to the Guidi soaking situation was that it worked like a charm. Shrank the shaft back to its original shape/size after drying and even brought the width in some. Literally brought the whole circumference in about an inch and a half.

Dried them with indirect heat so I put a little conditioner on there for the sake of the leather but the finish actually looks better and darker than before. I lost some purple dye during the soaking process ...something I was completely fine with. They were already kind of matte (donkey, after all) so the luster didn't really change much.

So if I was the guinea pig and you end up with a pair of stretched out guidi boots, go for it. I didn't submerge the sole in the water...just the uppers and dried them in the dryer (no tumble, using the shelf).

Voila. Couldn't be happier.
                  Originally posted by mizzar
                  Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• SeptSeptSept
                    • Aug 2010

i'm sur question has been answered before but, may i waterproof my guidi reversed leather boots with stuff like that ?

thanks a lot.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

does anyone know when Harnden switched tag types to the gauzy materials tag that he uses now from the heavier twill tape tags? Do the heavier material tags predate the updated cut of the jackets or does he still intersperse the heavier materials tags even now?

I can't remember what I've seen at IF exactly... All of my current PH jackets have the gauze tags but they are from the last two seasons.
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                        does anyone know when Harnden switched tag types to the gauzy materials tag that he uses now from the heavier twill tape tags?
                        i have owned two mac coats. one from several seasons ago and one recent and they both had twill tags. so perhaps the tag is reserved for the type of garment?

jackets i have only seen in gauze..

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                          I just moved to Chicago and was wondering if anyone on here knew of a particularly talented tailor. I've got a couple pieces that require more than the basic dry-cleaner hem-and-stitch...

And a good cobbler while we're at it...
                          Barneys allows me to have my clothing -- even clothing that was not purchased there -- altered by their exceptionally skilled tailors. Even more, the prices seem to be subsidized: I paid $70 to have a coat taken down 2 sizes and they always do a super job.

I've got a bunch of things I need to take in. If you'd like to go with, I'd be pleased to add your stuff to my pile of alterations.

Just PM me.

MBD
                          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            I don't know much about L.G.B. I only know that pants that cost nearly $1000 in their store can be found on yoox for $100.

The yoox selection is insanely cheap. They had leather jackets for $275 recently. Pains me to think what Downtown would have charged for the same jacket.

MBD
                            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• franz
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by SeptSeptSept View Post
                              i'm sur question has been answered before but, may i waterproof my guidi reversed leather boots with stuff like that ?

thanks a lot.
                              In theory yes, but I'd go with higher-end products (http://www.avel.com/product-details-super-invulner,55)

Some chemicals (e.g. silicon) found in many common products tend to clog the pores if the leather that will then risk to age, dry and crack faster (and however "distressed" you want your leather boots to be, ruining 1K$ leather is never good policy IMO)
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                                i have owned two mac coats. one from several seasons ago and one recent and they both had twill tags. so perhaps the tag is reserved for the type of garment?

jackets i have only seen in gauze..
                                Thanks!
                                So the irregularity of PH continues... hahaha

I think someone here even has a jacket where the materials details is just stamped onto the jacket lining.
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎