X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

P,

I more than many, know you are not someone who scrimps on your purchases nor looking for a shorthanded way of owning items with the aesthetic requirements you desire
    nor do you need to apologize for your interest in them.

My point is, we have too many companies, both large and small, sitting around waiting for someone to create something successful, only to cash in on its success................its a form of predatory tactic, one that i personally detest.

Again i have no problem with borrowing ideas, drawing inspiration etc, but do it in a way that makes the idea your own unique expression of it rather than an uninspired copy.

Now, on to the subject of hiring designers............large and small companies have designers, but to me, most of these companies have a bunch of people call designers who is certainly doing something other than design

Take for example, Puma..........they have Hussein Chalayan as their creative director, and there is a line of clothhing called Puma/ Hussein Chalayan. I have been buying the tees as my basic tees as they are well made. but often I look oat the other items and wonder, could they not create something better than these to honor Chalayans name and the enless production possibilities that a large corporation like puma has at their disposal?
    Could not a designer be hired to distill Chalayans creative essence into something cool and creative that people will want to buy?..........

Originally posted by Faye View Post
    @drrrk Thx for the info! That’s very helpful. At that price I’ll make sure to give it a second thought then. :)

Also, I don’t mind them being derivative. Everything’s derivative. Always the same discussion. I was just being sarcastic by calling them „rip-offs“.

@zam
    Although in this case the similarity is very obvious, I’m just not willing to spend 1200$+ on sneakers, and rather like to buy something beautiful from you instead. ;) No offense to the CCP fraction, just personal preference here.
    I understand your point about big companies, and after giving it some thought, I agree with you to a certain degree.
    However, what’s the definition of a big company? Judging from your comment above it’s a company that hires designer, right? To be honest, I didn’t do any research on the brand, just the fact that PNP stocks it, was enough reason for me to believe, that it’s a small business. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I doubt that the founders/owners of O.X.S. are not the designers themselves. So it doesn’t classify for me as a big company, such as the kind you’re talking about.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Magic1
      • Jan 2011

Eye,

I tried on those ccp seamless and the toe is great, but the instep is a mess. it doesn't fit snugly or securely against your instep like it should. I don't think this is a matter of ccp changing the way footwear fits, I think it is a flawed design. but if you are only concerned with the toe, then don't be, it's great. The instep issue doesn't make them unwearable, but for the price, I'd rather get one of the other models, even if if had previous wear.

Anyone know the quality of tops by Y-3 (100% cotton) or silent by dd (pure wool)? and info on sizing: I'm typically a 48: on the shorter end with broad shoulders. btw, I'm looking at a couple items labeled xs/s/m/l/xl, any advice?
      thanks

Comment

• Eye
        • Jan 2010

Thanks magic. I was more concerned by the instep and you confirmed my doubts about these boots.
        I own 2 tops from silent, one size M (large collar coton tee) and a XL (short sleeve szXL) both fit the same on the shoulders but xl is very long.
        However i'm afraid you'll have to go with szM since their S certainly won't fit at the shoulders. Not a big deal though cause you can easily get them shortened
        WTB : Incarnation leather jkt szXL / Augusta green ankle boots sz42

Comment

• zxc4030
          • Aug 2009

what type of bag do you prefer between tote and messenger? I personally prefer messenger bag and the reason I prefer messenger bag over tote is because it has a shoulder strap which makes much easier to carry bag than tote. There are lots of good tote bags that I want to purchase from Guidi, M.A+, Ann D's but I'm afraid that I'm not going to use it often after spending over 1K on a bag. which one do you prefer? and reason why you prefer one over the other?

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by zxc4030 View Post
            what type of bag do you prefer between tote and messenger? I personally prefer messenger bag and the reason I prefer messenger bag over tote is because it has a shoulder strap which makes much easier to carry bag than tote. There are lots of good tote bags that I want to purchase from Guidi, M.A+, Ann D's but I'm afraid that I'm not going to use it often after spending over 1K on a bag. which one do you prefer? and reason why you prefer one over the other?
            Tote for me...although I don't actually own one. If you find one with long enough straps, you can carry it over your shoulder too. Many totes come with a long strap too if you want to carry it cross-body.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faye
              • Apr 2009

@magic1 about silent wool quality: not bad, but i've seen better. If yo can get it at a good price, go for it.
              Silent sizing: i'm same as you and go for M in everything. Only concern is the length of items sometimes (a.e. This seasons julai jacket or sonora) cuz i'm 5'8" only.

Comment

• chomeo
                • Mar 2010

I've been looking at the Rick Owens wool/silk blend scarf and notice some similarity between RO's and Faliero Sarti. Could RO be sourcing from Sarti? Does anyone know?

Comment

• lostndfound
                  • Nov 2011

New Rick Owens safari biker from yoox in size medium is a little big/long in arms, but the size small I can't even zip up. Is it possible to take it to a tailor or too risky? What should I do?

Comment

• elephantstone
                    • Jan 2011

I'm not sure about slim down th e sleeves, but have them shortened shouldn't be that hard for experienced tailors...Or, you can try to wash them and see if they shrink enough like ppl from the DIY section did....

Personally, I can deal with long sleeves, but if the are too big on your arms....I'd say just return it

Comment

• lostndfound
                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by elephantstone View Post
                      I'm not sure about slim down th e sleeves, but have them shortened shouldn't be that hard for experienced tailors...Or, you can try to wash them and see if they shrink enough like ppl from the DIY section did....

Personally, I can deal with long sleeves, but if the are too big on your arms....I'd say just return it
                      Too late for that lol,,,, Yeah I saw those washing stories and am tempted, but I was thinking the blistered lamb might be too delicate it might mess up the effect, which is mt favorite part about the jacket

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by lostndfound View Post
                        Too late for that lol,,,, Yeah I saw those washing stories and am tempted, but I was thinking the blistered lamb might be too delicate it might mess up the effect, which is mt favorite part about the jacket
                        mbd just washed her blistered check diy section. nothing changed

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                          • Oct 2011

Any one have experience buying from Galassia Roma? Searched SZ with both Google and the forum search and didn't turn up anything.

Comment

• blacktulip
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Urthwhyte View Post
                            Any one have experience buying from Galassia Roma? Searched SZ with both Google and the forum search and didn't turn up anything.
                            Visited their shop mainly to see the bargain basement. They had a nice women's Rick buy upstairs and downstairs turned out to be worth bothering the staff to see (old Yohji, Ann, Rick... some nice things).

The discounted wares on their site were nowhere to be seen, suggesting to me that its stock levels are updated infrequently if at all.
                            "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• Czx
                              • Feb 2011

Has anyone handled that coat? How is the material used? What about the warmth, enough to keep me warm in earlier stage of winter (talking about say -10 celcius max, with layering)?
                              Also - yes/no?

(No chance for me to see it in person)

Oh yeah - same question about this RO one
                              Last edited by Czx; 12-13-2011, 06:32 AM.
                              néant
                              Last.FM paranoia
                              Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                              0 > ∞

Comment

• HWith
                                • May 2007

I have the short samurai/kimono-version of the Damir Doma coat in the same material. It's smooth and beautiful, but not very thick and there's no padding what so ever. Personally I wont have any problems wearing it in -10C weather with just a thin sweater or whatever underneath, but I'm comfortable in t-shirt and regular leather jacket in 2C weather, and I'm still wearing cropped pants... so I might not be the best to judge.

EDIT: Rick's double tokyo cashmere is very heavy and warm, so if you don't wanna feel cold grab this: http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=54I

Originally posted by Czx View Post
                                http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=54I

Has anyone handled that coat? How is the material used? What about the warmth, enough to keep me warm in earlier stage of winter (talking about say -10 celcius max, with layering)?
                                Also - yes/no?

(No chance for me to see it in person)

Oh yeah - same question about this RO one
                                http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=54I

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎