Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anomolies
    • Dec 2011

How would one go about proposing a group purchase to a fashion label manager? Do you have to be somebody or own a retail store? How would the bargaining process go?

I have no idea but I'm curious.

Comment

• Urthwhyte
      • Oct 2011

Talk to 3am on Superfuture

Comment

• anomolies
        • Dec 2011

honestly, I don't like the way he conducts business. I signed up for a group buy, made a $10 deposit, was told that we would be provided pricing and pictures. Instead, I get no update from him on how to order until the 23rd (told us deadline to order was 25th). Finally I get a reply and he says that I'm supposed to make an order based on the runway pictures, and that prices would be provided after placing an order.

..wtf? So now I'm wondering if that's really how a groupbuy is accomplished cus i'd rather someone do it better

Comment

• Urthwhyte
          • Oct 2011

I've a friend in the same position as you who's rather miffed; my reply was intended to be taken as facetious. He went from great service with the Silent group buys and sales to this mess

Comment

• Lane
            • Aug 2010

Sounds like he is in over his head. I like the ambition but I never got straight forward answers to my inquiries as did a friend of mine. I didn't participate in his silent group buys so I was quite skeptical. Who knows though I opted out of depositing after being quite disappointed with some designers offerings

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I find the whole situation a bit shifty...even him selling past season items at ridiculous discounts seems off to me. He's always been very courteous with me, but I can't help feeling somethin in the milk aint clean.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                • Oct 2011

That he managed to secure a buy at all gives me some confidence. While I'm the first to admit I know next to nothing about retailing, it takes some form of reputation or at least proof of funding to secure an arrangement, right?

I'm also wary of calling someone out before any proof of wrongdoing is found. Never attribute to malice what may be explained by incompetence and all that. As Lane said, it's likely he's just overwhelmed by his own success at the moment. How he handles that will determine whether he has any more of it in the future.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

the guy is also constantly and knowingly violating forum policy, and has been banned several times. the fact that he is arrogant enough to re-register to sell his shit tells a lot, I think.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theconsumer
                    • Feb 2009

Haven't handled the new leathers but look and names suggest that very thin skins are used. Velo might be fancy name for vellum. Quality skin, very expensive, but not what I would want for a piece of clothing.

Ricks tendency of using very thin leathers for SS is well known, but so far most of them were substantial enough (kangaroo, blistered lamb) or even quite substantial (oiled calf). But all the new ones seem to be made of this velo parchment stuff

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    Kinda looks similar to the footwear. The word "parchment" scares me though...exactly how thin is it?? I'm hoping that just a term for the dry feel of it.

Comment

• anomolies
                      • Dec 2011

no one has any idea on how to negotiate a group purchase then? Do you have to be "someone" like a purchasing manager for a business? Do you go to them with a proposal of a certain # of buyers and simply ask what kind of discount you can get?

Comment

• beardown
                        rekoner
                        • Feb 2009

It's just a sketchy concept in general. If you're a business and you have a business license, then you can apply to open an account with vendors, distributors and designers where you buy at wholesale.

Some of these places have a pretty rigorous set of standards to opening up new accounts and there are likely fairly large minimum orders.

But what you're basically trying to do is bypass the retailer and at least 2 people will have an issue with this: retailers and designers. Think about it: If you're a retailer trying to sell high priced designer clothing and some guy is selling direct at wholesale, then retailers aren't going to like that. And designers depend on retailers to help sell their goods.

That's probably not the final word on it all but there's a reason that situations like this seem sketchy: they generally are. And I imagine that if designers found out that someone had opened an account to resale their products at cost to a bunch of people on a forum where the service associated is sketchy, unreliable and questionable...then I think they'd have an issue with it too.

Maybe Zam could chime in with his views as someone who has a line.

I imagine that nobody likes to pay retail. But they do. When you set up a scheme to go around retailers on goods where it's necessary to maintain some level of cost or some consistency in price, you're setting yourself up in my eyes. It smacks of, 'I want this expensive item but I don't want to pay what it retails for so I'm going to concoct some scheme to bypass the established system and get it for cheap."

And again, I just imagine that kind of thing would piss the wrong people off and rightly so.

Do yourself a favor: If you want expensive things that you cannot afford, don't fight the system. Sell drugs like everyone else so you can afford whatever it is you want.
                        Originally posted by mizzar
                        Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• anomolies
                          • Dec 2011

I'm pretty new to the world of fashion, actually took a 2 year break from buying clothes and recently started getting into higher end clothing.

The thing is, I've just discovered that japanese brand current season items retail for much less in Japan than in the US or anywhere else. Like 50%-100% cheaper. So why is there any reason to go to my local shop? I've met respectable shop owners but I find most of the employees are snobby as hell. I just find the overall experience unpleasant.

I understand what you're saying, and I've thought about that. But the fact that 3am is able to pull it off makes me wonder if designers are looking for other outlets to sell. Especially up-and-coming designers, or designers that are seeing a decrease in sales I don't think he's selling at wholesale, otherwise there's nothing in it for him.
                          With the recent emergence of businesses like groupon, I think the idea of group buying is becoming less sketchy. The supplier gets more customers and you aren't undercutting the competition by much. I'm mainly interested in it as a business model that doesn't have the overhead of a brick and mortar, but also to acquire pieces for myself without the ridiculous 3x markup (or how much is usual markup?)

It's not simply about being able to afford something. I like purchasing things knowing that I've saved money and that it will hold its value. If I ever win the lottery I'd still be a thrifty person.
                          Also, in the drug world if you piss off the wrong people you're a goner, but maybe not so much in retail
                          Last edited by anomolies; 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Teazer
                            • Dec 2010

Hey guys, I have the feeling that my Ann Combats from FW11 are slimmer and more pointy than the FW10 boot models from ann.
                            It's just a feeling or a fact?

Comment

• upsilonkng
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              I find the whole situation a bit shifty...even him selling past season items at ridiculous discounts seems off to me. He's always been very courteous with me, but I can't help feeling somethin in the milk aint clean.
                              I know he had the new halo jeans sz2 for like $225 or something, but he didn't... I pm'd quickly and he was like all gone except for sz 3 and then he wouldn't send me a list of what was available, then he bumped the post 5 hours later then again in the morning w/ the same items? it was Definitely to drum up interest for his group buy. which..
                              originally was suppose to have a buyer in the showroom w/ exclusive pics and material content etc.. nothing like that happened, he wouldn't send me the prices retail or otherwise of the items and just based on runway pictures I'm suppose to send him 50% of the cost of which I have no idea what the retail is or what the cost is, just a number that he decides??

Comment

• anomolies
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                                I know he had the new halo jeans sz2 for like $225 or something, but he didn't... I pm'd quickly and he was like all gone except for sz 3 and then he wouldn't send me a list of what was available, then he bumped the post 5 hours later then again in the morning w/ the same items? it was Definitely to drum up interest for his group buy. which..
                                originally was suppose to have a buyer in the showroom w/ exclusive pics and material content etc.. nothing like that happened, he wouldn't send me the prices retail or otherwise of the items and just based on runway pictures I'm suppose to send him 50% of the cost of which I have no idea what the retail is or what the cost is, just a number that he decides??
                                yea I experienced the same and have the same suspicions as well. But I think his silent damir doma buy was legit... somehow. His webstore is legit.
                                I'm starting to think he just scammed us all for the $10 deposit lol.

Seriously how does he expect someone to make a decision based on runway pics

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎