X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joker
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
    I think he is talking about the leather/distressing/scarring that seem to be different on each individual pair
    Yea, this is exactly what i mean !! I want to get more comment from SZ member who met the similar status.

Thanks so much.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
      • Jan 2011

my "difficult customer alarm" went off from former retail experience...

dude if you don't like distressing and inconsistency then dont get object tanned scarred stuff

they're new, and they're put together with care. Whether that translates to shitkicking boots for a few years or a lifetime is unpredictable and thats the nature of handmade artisanal work

unless something is POORLY put together, its neither the intention of the designer, retailer or factory for it to be shoddy just the inconsistencies of the process.

The only way to get the pair you want is to go in store and pick them out.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Ok this was obviously lost in translation.. when you talk about "condition", it usually refers to whether an item is new or used, and if its pre-owned, what the condition is. And "construction" usually refers to the quality of the build, whether its well made etc. The items you mentioned should obviously be of good construction.

So if we are talking about the quality of the leather, it can indeed vary by each pair, in some shoes more than in others. Models with an even or "clean" leather and less distressing are bound to have little or no differences between each shoe, compared to models in which the leather has more individual characteristics such as scarring, or they are more heavily treated.

So to answer your question, its very difficult to say as it depends on the shoe model and depends on each pair. The only way to get exactly what you see is buying it in person. Most stores will accept returns though, so if you find them to bee notably different you can just return them.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
          Banned
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
          my "difficult customer alarm" went off from former retail experience...

dude if you don't like distressing and inconsistency then dont get object tanned scarred stuff

they're new, and they're put together with care. Whether that translates to shitkicking boots for a few years or a lifetime is unpredictable and thats the nature of handmade artisanal work

unless something is POORLY put together, its neither the intention of the designer, retailer or factory for it to be shoddy just the inconsistencies of the process.

The only way to get the pair you want is to go in store and pick them out.
          my "asshat sales associate" alarm went off from former retail experience...

english is obviously not his first language but you clearly failed at comprehending what he was trying to say

Comment

• cowsareforeating
            • Jan 2011

no i wouldnt treat him like shit in the store but he is fretting about the smallest of details don't you think?

it is of course up to him if he would like one scarred pair over another but that to me is splitting hairs -- it is the retailers responsibility to be as accommodating as possible and they often have pretty generous return policies as such

maybe it is just how i think people should act, but treat retailers with some decency. while they are in the industry to please, there is a degree to which you can be difficult without simply being a dick.

now joker has not gone out and done anything wrong at all, just saying that if you are purchasing something "artisanal" I think he is worrying a little too much and missing the big picture

but then again that is just my "asshat" opinion.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
              Banned
              • Jun 2011

just saying this is the SMALL QUESTIONS thread

theres no need for comments like this:

"dude if you don't like distressing and inconsistency then dont get object tanned scarred stuff"

nor is there any need for any "difficult customer alarms" to go off, just makes you sound like a douche

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

I completely agree with OJ's points, plus I think it's fair to assume the main reason most people buy Augusta boots or any other type of fashion garment is its looks. When you face the risk of getting something that will look different from expected that's definitely a significant problem that most people including myself would rather not experience when paying hundreds..
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

I agree, its a valid question, even though there isn't a correct answer.

I remember buying a pair of CCP derbies a few years ago, the store's photos showed them to be fairly regular with some scarring on the toebox. The pair I got had almost the entire back half of both shoes heavily distressed and the toebox was fairly clean. Personally I very much liked the way they looked, but I can easily imagine someone thinking the opposite as they were very different than the pair photographed by the store.

One thing you can of course try is ask the store for pictures of the pair in your size, explaining that you'd like to see how the distressing looks on that particular pair.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• beardown
                    rekoner
                    • Feb 2009

Agreed..it's a fair question and everyone starts off somewhere. When I first started looking at Rick combat boots (2007), I didn't know if there were specific models with reversed leather, smooth grain vs. pebbled grain or if it was just the luck of the draw on what I would get because I'd seen so many versions.

It's fair enough to mention that handmade items have unique differences that are part of the natural effects of working with material like leather but when purchasing, it's not irrational to want an idea of exactly what you're getting. Same with Guidi...some of the blacks are very deep, object dyed black...some of them are more brown than black, some of them have that gold undertone to them....if I'm buying retail online, I want a true black and I know I could end up with the gold or the brown/black because they're all boxed and labeled as 'black.'

Would that make me a difficult customer to want some specifics about what I'm going to get vs. what I can see in a photo?

That is the job of the SA. It's not like someone is requesting you to jump through a hoop of fire. I'd say explaining basic differences between similar styles/treatments would fall under, 'OMG. I totally actually have to do my job today.'
                    Originally posted by mizzar
                    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Ivans On High
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                      That is the job of the SA. It's not like someone is requesting you to jump through a hoop of fire. I'd say explaining basic differences between similar styles/treatments would fall under, 'OMG. I totally actually have to do my job today.'
                      But he's not talking differences between similar styles/treatments. He is talking about differences between same styles/treatments but different pieces.

A is right, you are perfectly within your rights to ask for a photo of the pair in your size you are considering buying, but for you to capture the difference in leather grain, scarring etc you would require 4-5 photos. And even then, if the customer is that concerned as to ask in the first place, he might want twice as many. And if the store has 5 pairs in the same size?

I guess I'm saying it's one of those internet shopping drawbacks.

Comment

• zxc4030
                        • Aug 2009

A guy came up to me, looked at me and start laughing intentionally while I was walking down the street with my girlfriend.
                        I was very upset because I've never got reactions like that before..

I was wearing rick short sleeves, Julius black coated destroyed cropped jeans and combat boots..

Is it weird for a guy to wear cropped pants?

Comment

• curiouscharles
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zxc4030 View Post
                          A guy came up to me, looked at me and start laughing intentionally while I was walking down the street with my girlfriend.
                          I was very upset because I've never got reactions like that before..

I was wearing rick short sleeves, Julius black coated destroyed cropped jeans and combat boots..

Is it weird for a guy to wear cropped pants?
                          kind of strange, whereabouts were you? i got this kind of reaction quite a bit when i used to live in kitsilano...

-

Comment

• zxc4030
                            • Aug 2009

^ I was on the West 4th..right after I had a dinner at Romer's Burger Bar.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                              • Jan 2008

haha, makes perfect sense. kitsilano area is prone to pregnancy, medical school, dog ownership, and beach wear - if you decide to brave its borders, be warned.

-

Comment

• Joker
                                • Oct 2011

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for the professional opinion.
                                Based I got a couple pair of CCP and Guidi also. So i knew all of them and specially on the hand crafted process.

There i can found out the different case of my confuse. And that's why I properly place a question on Augusta !! I think someone should understood my question.

Finally I appreciate someone remind to me such like :"Most stores will accept returns though, so if you find them to bee notably different you can just return them." & "The only way to get the pair you want is to go in store and pick them out." this is exactly my younger brother told me before.......

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎