Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuriz
    • Nov 2010

^ I really like the color, but I find the look just a bit dull. Thanks for the link though!

Comment

• comedyzen
      • May 2009

Guidi Fragrance

Just picked up an Incarnation leather made from Guidi leather. I was hoping it would have that Guidi scent like my boots but it doesnt even have a hint of it. I thought that scent was part of Guidi leathers but now wondering if it is proprietary to Guidi. Is that smell in the dyes they use or is it an oil they apply? Whatever it is, I WANT IT. I want make a leather evergreen, douse it with whatever gives Guidi that scent, and hang it in my car.

But seriously, is that smell derivative of the tanning process, their dyes, or an oil application and is it something I can get my paws on?

Comment

• curiouscharles
        • Jan 2008

i believe the scent associated with fresh leathers has a lot to do with the type of hide used, the method of tanning, and (especially in guidi's case) the washing process.

it's essentially a large swathe of rotting animal-skin; all the chemicals / oils / treatments used to stop the hide from rotting, and then to break-down the fibers so that they're at a more favorable level of pliability - will all have their own smells, which will intermingle with the hide's own... musk.

i've read that a sharp/acrid/oily smell is indicative of a rushed tanning process, meaning the hide is actually still rotting... actively. though the pleasurable aroma you're referring to definitely wouldn't fall into that category.

the smelliest guidi leather i've ever come across was in a leather jacket from alessandra marchi - it was made from a guidi-sourced deerskin, and was so ripe that it was un-wearable.

i, personally, would love some more insight into this however, as the smell of a fresh leather garment accounts for more than a few of my favorite things...

-

Comment

• comedyzen
          • May 2009

I am thinking the odeur de guidi derives from the dyes they use (this was very recently reinforced by a reliable source). because if the musk was created during the tanning, then my Incarnation would have that, but it has a completely different smell : (

As for the rotting smell, I think you just pinpointed the source of a stank I tried to get out in a WASHING LEATHER thread I created. Your description of acrid oily is accurate. Perhaps that is why the cleaners were not completely able to get the smell out. Eck.

But I'm with you, the scent of non rotting leather is one of the proverbial roses I like to stop and smell.

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

I can help you find a perfume that smells of leather...

...or you could ride a donkey for a few hours everyday.

Whatever floats your boat.
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• comedyzen
              • May 2009

Well, since I have a bottle of Stetson already, that only leaves the donk option.

But in all seriousness, if there is a scent that smells like Guidi leather, then I would be down. Not just leather in general.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                I can help you find a perfume that smells of leather...

...or you could ride a donkey for a few hours everyday.

Whatever floats your boat.
                I know I should probably ask this in the perfume thread but I thought I might continue it here since we're already on the subject.

I've tried a few leather-based scents such as Parfum D'Empire Cuir Ottoman, Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Cuir and Perfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris, but none of them has the primal leather scent I'm looking for. Would you be able to recommend something less flowery and a little more, for lack of better words, leather-y? It'd be nice to smell almost like Rick's leather jackets without wearing them.
                Originally posted by Patroklus
                Better too adventurous than not enough
                everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• my friend goo
                  • Oct 2007

Augusta Boots

Does anyone own and use these Augusta wraparounds from a few years back? They are the ones with the plasticy lining on the inside.

I bought these new and loved them, but when i wore them they would make a pretty loud scrunching/creaking sound when i walked around and this bugged me enough to relegate these to the back of the closet for years.

Dug them out recently and I still really love how they look, just wish I could get them to make less noise when walking around... so I was wondering if anyone has experience breaking these in, do they eventually stop making the annoying sound? Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                    I know I should probably ask this in the perfume thread but I thought I might continue it here since we're already on the subject.

I've tried a few leather-based scents such as Parfum D'Empire Cuir Ottoman, Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Cuir and Perfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris, but none of them has the primal leather scent I'm looking for. Would you be able to recommend something less flowery and a little more, for lack of better words, leather-y? It'd be nice to smell almost like Rick's leather jackets without wearing them.
                    Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange is one of the few straight-up leathers around. Has a bit of funk in the opening...good stuffs.

Although technically very floral, Chanel's Cuir de Russie is the closest to what I find Guidi smells like. It has a raw animal skank that is hard to find these days.
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• savant
                      • Jul 2011

hi guys this might be a retarded question but im tossing up between a attachment melton wool coat versus a thick ass leather jacket something like AW09 crust RO stooges

would they both be equally as warm ?

Comment

• wurm
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by my friend goo View Post
                        Does anyone own and use these Augusta wraparounds from a few years back? They are the ones with the plasticy lining on the inside.

I bought these new and loved them, but when i wore them they would make a pretty loud scrunching/creaking sound when i walked around and this bugged me enough to relegate these to the back of the closet for years.

Dug them out recently and I still really love how they look, just wish I could get them to make less noise when walking around... so I was wondering if anyone has experience breaking these in, do they eventually stop making the annoying sound? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
                        I don't have personal experience with them but it might be a good idea to take them to a cobbler and see what he thinks. Couldn't hurt.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

its usually leather rubbing against leather that causes creaks. do you have leather insoles? or maybe its the folded part of the leather that moves and causes friction?
                          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• blackfedora
                            • Jan 2012

I was wondering if anyone could verify if Layer-0 boots run true to size over the course during the last couple of seasons? I wear Augusta in a 44 as a point of reference.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                              • Jan 2008

blackfedora - you'll likely hear differing opinions on this, but Layer-0 fits tts-to-small. I, as a 42, have always taken a 42 in Layer-0, but people with wide feet, or those bordering on the next size up, will often find they have to size up (mind you, this is also depending on the model).

I, personally, would vouchsafe that true to size is the way to go (more often than not).

-

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

I'm somewhere between 42 and 43 (with a wide foot), and take 43 in L-0, so agreed with cc above.
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎