X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Yohji hands down. one of the very few designers that I think works on virtually any shape/size.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Ditto for CDG Homme Plus, especially older seasons.

Lost & Found also comes to mind.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• doldrums
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
        Yohji hands down. one of the very few designers that I think works on virtually any shape/size.
        ]
        Except if you are Richard Lewis. Always cringe to see him on Curb your Enthusiasm.

Comment

• wurm
          • Nov 2010

If by "size" you mean portly (as opposed to muscular/lean) I would strongly agree with the Yohji comment. Damir would also be worth looking into. I don't really think Ann or Rick would work out as well though (with some exceptions).

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by doldrums View Post
            Except if you are Richard Lewis. Always cringe to see him on Curb your Enthusiasm.
            I think that has more to do with his face

oh yea, Lost & Found for sure, most of it fits big though some of the top wear can be slim.

Rick works on big and tall guys, not sure if you are on the stocky side.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MajesticMap View Post
              Hello

I don't post much, so I was reticent about starting a new thread. I'd like to know if anyone has any fashion/style resources for men of size? I'm not interested in "lose weight" type of responses. If you don't want to help that's fine but your opinion about another's body type is not what I'm after here.

Anyway, that said: Any resources for fashion/style for bigger men?
              I don't really have a good direction to point you in terms of resources. Generally being large and enjoying any of the aesthetics covered on SZ leaves you doing your own thing. More fun that way anyway.

I don't know if you mean larger in overall stature, or a larger belly. I'm kind of huge (size 52-54++), but have a reasonably athletic drop, so YMMV. For me, I find Volga Volga, Forme D'Expression, Lost & Found, Shellac all consistently turn out things in my size. Geoffrey B Small often does, and Marvielab comes close. Play around with these maybe?

Lots of brands will occasionally do things in larger sizes, but you need to know the shop for most of them, as they aren't as consistent as above.

If you're broad-shouldered, don't waste your time with Ann.
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• ACM
                • Jan 2011

Thinking about picking this up because I've been looking for a knife shoulder from Rick forever, but this fit seems odd. It almost looks as if it's a women's blazer with darts to shape the breast. Anyone know why the fit is all crinkled in the chest area?

Here's the link:

Comment

• MajesticMap
                  • Nov 2011

Thank you very much much for the recommendations... Its actually for my boyfriend... I suppose I will have to get his measurements.. I have in fact been contemplating putting him on to yohji and now that u mention it, cdgh and LnF make a lot of sense.. Will also check out Volga Volga

For the record he is chubby and wears 3 to 5xl shirts depending on brand in US street wear, size 42 us in pants... Thanks again for the tips
                  is that make sense to ya'll?!

Comment

• morsto
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                    we have quite a few large build men here. [..]
                    No we don't, I can count maybe two now that kunk has shrunk in the washer (not that he nor the others here are actually obese, just not skin and bones like the majority)
                    Also, all these suggestions took a very optimistic take on "men of size".
                    Wearing 5 XL in streetwear means he's health threatingly obese, I can't wrap my head around a mentality where wanting to look good doesn't start at the place that will literally kill you, but also ensure you will not look good, and that is independent on the amount of yyph, cdgh+ and volga volga you throw on yourself. So in spite of the no weight advice disclaimer, I will gladly be that guy, my father is an obesity surgeon and the problems with people of your boyfriends size pile up and it will very quickly outweigh the issue of not being able to fit the latest drkshdw collection
                    Last edited by morsto; 11-01-2012, 10:36 PM.
                    I do not recognise the vessel,
                    but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• messenoire
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by morsto View Post
                      No we don't, I can count maybe two now that kunk has shrunk in the washer (not that he nor the others here are actually obese, just not skin and bones like the majority)
                      yeah i wouldnt say that i was expecting obese at all. i was moreso thinking people that are of a bigger build that would warrant a bigger size that isnt readily available on most retailers short of special ordering an entire wardrobe. everyone that we have here, even if they are a of a bigger build, seems like they take care of themself. i feel like i am going against my own advice after reading the "5xl" tag and i'm going to have to side with rick...
                      "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead."
                      Last edited by messenoire; 11-02-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by MajesticMap View Post
                        For the record he is chubby and wears 3 to 5xl shirts depending on brand in US street wear, size 42 us in pants... Thanks again for the tips
                        I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Yohji is the only reasonable option he may have of any brand described here. L&F might occasionally fit, but won't look right.

For context, I think I'm one of the largest guys on this site. I wear between an L and XL in streetwear, a size 42 american (52-54 european) in mainstream brands for jackets, and wear size 34-36 jeans. I fit the largest size in a small number of brands discussed on this site, and am unable to wear anything from most of them because I'm too large. I am not chubby (~11% BF, 7" drop*), and I'm still pushing it for anything here because of my shoulders and overall bulk.

Your boyfriend will need to either change his physique, wear other clothes, or get stuff made custom.

* mixed up numbers. Whoops.
                        Last edited by theetruscan; 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• wurm
                          • Nov 2010

Yeah, at those sizes I don't think there are really any options. Yohji would be the best bet but I'm pretty sure no designer favored on this site (and others) makes sizes that big, him included. I can't think of any designer that makes an XXXL.
                          Last edited by wurm; 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• MajesticMap
                            • Nov 2011

I'm not here to argue, i get it youre know it alls. im just looking for brands who make decently made clothing for bigger men. And not necessarily of the SZ approved variety, although the yohji reccomendations are spot on. Thanks for the tips regardless of some of the unwanted, way off base opinions.

No further discussion needed (unless you're giving me direct advice about specific clothing brands)
                            is that make sense to ya'll?!

Comment

• arby2001
                              • Jan 2011

many brands make clothing for large-sized men, unfortunately just not very fashion-forward ones.

your best bet, frankly, is to dress him in a neat and tasteful manner, instead of trying to get him into skirts, loose drapes or skin-tight jackets. i find that works best on fat people. what may look good on the runway is usually horrid in real life.
                              too skinny for rick

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

obviously anything "SZ" is out. pretty much any limited production designer clothing is out. most guys that size must suffer the fate of dressing like tony soprano. tommy bahama, nat nast, faconnable, zanella, stuff like that.

it is possible you can find some ralph lauren stuff too. look here ralph lauren big+tall.

oh, here we go...destinationxl.com

thats the truth of it
                                Last edited by cjbreed; 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎