Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

my only experience with this (maybe that's what bukka is referring to, but i don't remember mentioning it on sz?) is that i've been asked by some online retailer to provide a copy/photo of my passport and credit card to them (i blanked out the most sensitive info before i sent it to them). they explained it was because they used another company to provide them with payment services, fraud checks and insurance against fraud. that service company apparently used some sort of algorithms to calculate when there was a risk of fraudulent orders from certain locations and in those cases they would ask for verifications such as copies of passports etc.

maybe that is what's going on here? i've only had a few transactions with blast, but in my experience they are really nice and helpful.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Copy of your id makes much more sense than just a passport number.. Did they really ask for that BrianK?
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Vinyl Only
        • Jun 2012

guidi rejuvenation

I used some turpentine to get oil paint off some Guidi leather derbies. Paint was removed but the surface of the leather seems a bit dry now. How do I get that subtle, rich guidi lustre back? I'm prepared to use mink oil and buff it---or should I just take em to Firm? Anyone else ever deal with this?

Comment

• Lucky Strike
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Vinyl Only View Post
          I used some turpentine to get oil paint off some Guidi leather derbies. Paint was removed but the surface of the leather seems a bit dry now. How do I get that subtle, rich guidi lustre back? I'm prepared to use mink oil and buff it---or should I just take em to Firm? Anyone else ever deal with this?
          Use some leather balm/conditioner to soften them. Might have to reapply a few times.

Comment

• BrianK
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            Copy of your id makes much more sense than just a passport number.. Did they really ask for that BrianK?
            Yeah no joke.. i thought it might've been a customer service employee going rogue heres the direct email

HI THE DELIVERY COST IS €40 IF YOU SEND ME YOUR PASSPORT NUMBER WE CAN
            ALSO DO THE PRICE WITH NO VAT SO THE PRICE WILL BE €291,80 ISTEAD OF E356
            LET ME KNOW IF YOU PREFERE TO PAY WITH PAYPAL OR BANK TRANSFERT
            THANKS

(Yes she really sent me that in all caps lock as well.)

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

but then it's pretty obvious?!? it's because they are offering to do a "tax free" sale to you the way they might do if u were a non-eu tourist visiting the shop, no? (in which case they would need the number for the related form they fill out, i think or possibly for their own tax records) it seems to me they're just trying to be nice.

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Ah, yea, that would make sense. I thought it was requested specifically for some sort of fraud prevention purposes which sounded weird, but if its regarding VAT thats probably it.

But don't some stores take VAT off simply based on the shipping destination being overseas? Maybe it varies by country..
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• nictan
                  • Jul 2009

i think that way, they wouldn't be able to help the customer mark down the value of the parcel, since the value marked on the parcel should correspond with the amount of VAT knocked off.

with the passport number, and if done the way Shucks mentioned, selling it as if it were a non-eu tourist doing a physical purchase, then they can both knock off VAT and mark down the value, no need to record that its a shipped purchase.

Comment

• BrianK
                    • Jan 2013

^Ah alright thanks guys never knew that!

Comment

• bukka
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                      my only experience with this (maybe that's what bukka is referring to, but i don't remember mentioning it on sz?) is that i've been asked by some online retailer to provide a copy/photo of my passport and credit card to them (i blanked out the most sensitive info before i sent it to them). they explained it was because they used another company to provide them with payment services, fraud checks and insurance against fraud. that service company apparently used some sort of algorithms to calculate when there was a risk of fraudulent orders from certain locations and in those cases they would ask for verifications such as copies of passports etc.

maybe that is what's going on here? i've only had a few transactions with blast, but in my experience they are really nice and helpful.
                      Mmmh, yes I kinda remember this, I'll check tmr if I find the source but I'm pretty sure I read smth abt this here from you :)
                      Anyway, case resolved. Cheers
                      Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• sshum88
                        • Dec 2007

For those of you who have seen this in person, can you comment on the grey shade? In the pic, it looks like it has nude/tan tones than grey.

Last edited by sshum88; 12-15-2014, 08:08 AM.
                        Originally posted by eat me
                        If you can't see the work past the fucking taped seams , cold dye wash or raw hems - perhaps you shouldn't really be looking at all.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by sshum88
                          This has happened with me a few years back when I made a purchase with RO NYC. I had to scan a copy of my passport for them. I believe it is for security reasons related to credit card purchases but not sure.
                          check the earlier replies...

Comment

• Vinyl Only
                            • Jun 2012

Reposting here. Can anyone help?
                            Originally posted by Vinyl Only View Post

Comment

• FiggRow
                              • Feb 2014

Any recommendations on carpe or guidi models that can accommodate wider/flat feet?

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by sshum88 View Post
                                For those of you who have seen this in person, can you comment on the grey shade? In the pic, it looks like it has nude/tan tones than grey.
                                i haven't seen that exact piece in that color, but i believe that is the color 'pearl' which is a very light warm grey tone - so yes, it could be described as between light tan and light grey. maybe something close to the pantone color pms 5315..?
                                Last edited by Shucks; 12-14-2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎