Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yay
    • Sep 2014

it's definitely iffy that ACNE produces in china, it's very hard to actually know what the workers conditions are. but i assume china is still worlds apart from a bangladesh sweat shop.
    still, i only own one sweatshirt from ACNE which i bought without realizing it was made in china. it's a fine sweat, simple stuff. i use it to lounge or go shopping. comparing the quality to h&m is definitely not fair, atleast for this item. never handled the denim. it's closer to something like RL or so (for better or worse )

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Anyone own a pair of Rick Owens Astaires? How's it worn low on the waist (drop crotch effect, instead of high rise)? Diaper butt + pocket ears or does it look fine (snap a quick photo?)? Thanks!

Comment

• k3mist
        • Apr 2013

i wonder how many of you are sending messages here on a made in china macbook. anyway, not all garments from acne are made in china..just to clear that up. denim jeans are all MIC though

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

I own a pair of jeans, a cardigan and a sweatshirt from Acne and thy´re made in Turkey (cardigan), Romania (sweatshirt) and Albania (jeans).
          I know someone who was an intern at Acne and she said working conditions in the Chinese factories they use are OK. Dunno what to make of this info though.
          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by yay View Post
            it's definitely iffy that ACNE produces in china, it's very hard to actually know what the workers conditions are. but i assume china is still worlds apart from a bangladesh sweat shop.
            they are not.

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
            I own a pair of jeans, a cardigan and a sweatshirt from Acne and thy´re made in Turkey (cardigan), Romania (sweatshirt) and Albania (jeans).
            I know someone who was an intern at Acne and she said working conditions in the Chinese factories they use are OK. Dunno what to make of this info though.
            turkey, romania, albania and china are all saturated with factories with horrid working conditions, union busting practices and slave wages that the workers cannot live on without working insane amounts of overtime to the detriment of both their health and their families.

there is only one real reason why brands place their production in these areas, and that is cost reduction. it is always the workers who pay the real price. you cannot buy this shit with a clean conscience - i'm sorry.

www.cleanclothes.org/

Comment

• dji
              • Feb 2008

Rick Owens, not guilt free since '12.

Comment

• ian+
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by imblurredout View Post
                I'm guessing I'll get criticism for this, but I think Acne Studios make the best jeans out there.
                no they do not

Originally posted by dji View Post
                Rick Owens, not guilt free since '12.
                true, some pieces were made in Moldova

-

Apart from what Shucks posted which is 100% correct, I hate how pretentious brands like Acne are. Their whole image, from the campaigns and the lookbooks to the end product is utter shit. At the same time you pay sky high prices for h&m quality products.
                ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• yay
                  • Sep 2014

especially since alot of the ethically acceptable brands are even cheaper than ACNE jeans. naked&famous for example, and they offer a wide variety of fits. also you can always just have them tailered to your legs and have the perfect fit for likely a good price.
                  i'm not gonna buy anything made under terrible working conditions (anymore), but i'm also not gonna get rid of the stuff i still have from years ago like workout stuff that's still fine to use

and to the iphone/book comment: we're still on a forum about fashion, it's not reasonable to expect the same dedication in every aspect of ones life, but expecting it from the members of a forum like this is very much reasonable.

Comment

• k3mist
                    • Apr 2013

acne no longer makes garments in Albania etc etc.
                    its all in Italy, China, Portugal and Turkey only when Portuguese factories are unavailable. the company has made efforts in having fair trade, there is still room to improve but Acne will never have full production in Italy/France.

also you are fooling yourself if you think the Chinese workers in Italian factories are paid a fair sum with good working conditions.

despite being on a fashion forum, the subject of fair trade is a ethical issue no different from vegan-ism. vegans are vegans in food and in clothing and even in tattoo ink.

what I'm trying to say is this is an idealist view that we will all buy clothes only if produced ethically. I'm sure everyone or most in this forum, me included, would rather not buy made in china goods if theres an alternative.

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
                      acne no longer makes garments in Albania etc etc.
                      its all in Italy, China, Portugal and Turkey only when Portuguese factories are unavailable. the company has made efforts in having fair trade, there is still room to improve but Acne will never have full production in Italy/France.

also you are fooling yourself if you think the Chinese workers in Italian factories are paid a fair sum with good working conditions.

despite being on a fashion forum, the subject of fair trade is a ethical issue no different from vegan-ism. vegans are vegans in food and in clothing and even in tattoo ink.

what I'm trying to say is this is an idealist view that we will all buy clothes only if produced ethically. I'm sure everyone or most in this forum, me included, would rather not buy made in china goods if theres an alternative.

garment factories in turkey and china can be just as terrible as any you will find in albania, romania and yes, in moldova (i am aware of this dji - i think i was actually the first person to call rick out on this on sz. i do try to avoid buying those garments. we should all do our best, depending on what options we each have as individuals...)

here are some FACTS about turkey's garment industry for those of you thinking it isn't so bad:

http://www.cleanclothes.org/livingwa...factsheet/view

"The average salary including overtime (!) of [...] garment workers in Istanbul €326 does not cover the family expenses and is even below the hunger level for one person as defined by the Confederation of Turkish Trade Unions. The legal minimum wage covers 28% of a minimum living wage."

Last edited by Shucks; 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• dji
                        • Feb 2008

anyone ever been asked to fill out a footwear customs invoice by DHL?

Comment

• redbible
                          • Mar 2015

What if the people that work in the good factories all wear clothes made by people in the bad factories?

Comment

• gregor
                            • Oct 2014

well, that is what happens and it perpetuates the evil cycle of production. chances are it won't go away, in fact, i'm doubtful it will even have major changes made to it, but the little bits do count.

on another, smaller topic, i just kind of impulse-bought a iolom ring, as i'm in need of new jewelry. how do iolom rings stack up against werkstatt, ch, and the like?

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                              • Apr 2014

Q for people who own either/both:

I've pretty much decided on buying myself a new Rick leather as a moving present.

Which model do I go with, the scuba or the Stooges?

I know I'm going with the blistered leather either way :)

It's the arms that are making or breaking it for me. One has the ribbed cuffs, the other is long...I'm not sure which I like more.

Comment

• dji
                                • Feb 2008

I have the bullet in blistered leather and the stooges in heavy calf and enjoy them both. arguably the stooges works better in a heavier leather but it's a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎