Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dji
    • Feb 2008

thanks for the advice Arto, when I get it pinned by the tailor I can decide whether it's necessary.

Comment

• Speak
      • Nov 2007

leather jacket

What's a good starter leather jacket? Is it worth it to invest in a $1k+ jacket to start with? I've never really been into leather jackets (grew up in hawaii) but I definitely think I need a good daily black leather jacket. I'm just looking for something simple, as my style is very simple and minimalistic. I definitely want something light (live in cali). Any recommendations and/or pics would be great!

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

^ I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a starter leather jacket... I've never seen one under $1k that used good leather and wasn't overstyled, but maybe that's just me.

I think the issue is more whether you're a leather jacket kind of person.

If you're minimalistic then maybe one of those classic Margiela ones would work better for you than those ubiquitous asymmetrical + distressed ones... And now that I mention it, I've seen them for less than a thousand on sale now and then.

(wanted to find a picture but this was all I could come up with: http://www.eluxury.com/estore/browse...sp?id=11714383 I swear they look so much better in black and when not styled... like that.)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

This season's version is pretty good, gerry. It's black with black zippers. Even though I hate the new zippers, I liked this one. Yea, I also don't know what a starter jacket is. I guess he means not a $5k Poell one. For $1k there is no way you'll get something without some serious hunting, but it's doable.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by likkoffi View Post
            Hi guys, looking for a good tailor in paris to get some alterations on a pair of pants. I want them to taper through the leg. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
            Professional work at cheap prices :
            13 rue de Penthièvre
            75 008 Paris

Comment

• Monty76
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speak View Post
              What's a good starter leather jacket? Is it worth it to invest in a $1k+ jacket to start with? I've never really been into leather jackets (grew up in hawaii) but I definitely think I need a good daily black leather jacket. I'm just looking for something simple, as my style is very simple and minimalistic. I definitely want something light (live in cali). Any recommendations and/or pics would be great!
              I would say Helmut Lang would be a good "starter" leather for 1K or less. The leather quality is good and his styles are usually quite minimalistic. Here's one for cheap:

i have seen it in person, and the textured leather is quite heavy and seems high quality. The collar is strange though. For 1K you can probably take your pick of the new SS09 stock.

Comment

• Speak
                • Nov 2007

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, by starter jacket I just meant something that won't necessarily be the last leather jacket I'll ever own, but something that I can get a feel for to start developing a taste for what kind of fit/feel I like. Do you think used might be a good bet? I've seen some RO and Julius now and then for around 1k. Also, do any of you know the quality of Robert Gellers leather jackets? Those seem to pop up for around $700 used. Thanks again!

Comment

• chameleon
                  • Jun 2008

while we're sortof on the subject, margiela riders fit true to size?

Comment

• huskiesonice
                    • Mar 2008

Would appreciate some advice on boots

I have a pair of Neil Barrett burned leather boots that I love. The boots fit perfectly when they are on but getting them on requires half a tin of goose grease, a tug of war team and at least 30 minutes of my time. A scenario I'd like to change.

The boots are slip on, no stretch elastic or zipper and that is the problem. Does anyone know a really good cobbler / shoe maker in London who could insert either a zip or some stretch elastic?

T I A

Comment

• drexl
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Speak View Post
                      Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, by starter jacket I just meant something that won't necessarily be the last leather jacket I'll ever own, but something that I can get a feel for to start developing a taste for what kind of fit/feel I like. Do you think used might be a good bet? I've seen some RO and Julius now and then for around 1k. Also, do any of you know the quality of Robert Gellers leather jackets? Those seem to pop up for around $700 used. Thanks again!
                      Tried on some Geller leathers (one from FW07 and the cadet jacket from this fall), both felt (sorry Robert and Mouko) really cheap for the price they're charging. Also tried on that "Helmut Lang" one from a few posts up, quality of the leather felt a little better than the Geller ones, but still had this stiff/plasticky feel to it. Personally, I'd be on the lookout for a Rick (again, personal, don't know if they fit your aesthetic) on sale or second hand, they can be had for around 1K.

Comment

• Who?
                        • Aug 2007

Julius leather jackets are hard to beat, they can be found in minimalistic or complex designs but the quality of the leather is far superior to anything else in the price range. Used ones can typically be had for around a 1k-1.2k. However if you are larger than a us38/eu48 you are going to have a hard time finding one in your size.
                        WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• huskiesonice
                          • Mar 2008

I don't have enough posts to put in a link (so it seems anyway)

But this is a great, basic leather jacket that is now well under $1k, at current rates it comes to roughly $775, or thereabouts.

The UK's first multi-brand luxury boutique, Browns has an unrivalled edit of established and next-generation brands, online and in stores in London.

Comment

• Johannes Thorsen
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by huskiesonice View Post
                            I don't have enough posts to put in a link (so it seems anyway)

But this is a great, basic leather jacket that is now well under $1k, at current rates it comes to roughly $775, or thereabouts.

http://www.brownsfashion.com/product...kets/95200.htm
                            Think it looks like a marlboro classic jacket.

You could always buy a really cheap second hand leather and get use to the feel/look... And to see if it's even you.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

I'd also look into a used one (rick, julius), you should be able to find one for under $1k
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• ironman
                                • Apr 2008

i'd agree with Who? and mike_lowrey, you should gun for a used RO or Julius leather on yahoo auctions

it should fit the bill :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎