• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KAMO
    • Mar 2008

wardrobe silhouette variations

hi guys

i've been lurking around for awhile and i'll like to hear your thoughts regarding variationsin terms of yourwardrobe pieces

i know most of you pledge yourselfs fully to a certain group of designers and hencepiecesin your wardrobe might be restricted to only a few designers and hence the silhouette which results from what you're wearing is arguablythe same

the reason i'm askingis because i think my wardrobe is in a "mess".

i like RAF and Hedi's work alot, and my wardrobe is filled with many oftheir items (mostly jeans and polos) and the silhouette which results from wearing these clothes is mostly narrow/slim.

BUTi've recently been infatuated with a "roomer" silhouette and i've been buying alot of pieces from CDG and YY.

one day i'm wearingnarrow/slim Dior jeans and the next day i'm wearing "baggy" CDG/YY pants.

friends have commented that my style has no direction and i'm starting to think that they might be right.

the only user in the forum whom i can sort of "relate" to is Tiger who rocks a slim RAF suit one day and a "baggy" YY esemble the next

would love to hear your thoughts on this [75]

• lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Re: wardrobe silhouette variations

I think it pretty much depends on what kind of looks you like and what you feel comfortable in, or what you feel is "you".

I personally prefer skinny jeans and trousers and my suits are skinny, but I dont mind switching to a pair of rick owens mc hammer shorts :) shorts are pretty much the exception for me, otherwise I've had some larger trousers but havent felt that good in them, I feel like a skinny silhouette fits me better.

regarding your original concern, I dont think theres anything wrong with switching your silhouette or style, why not? if you want to be known to have a very precise style, or portray a certain look for example dressing fully in CDG and YY, then you'd probably need to keep it more constant. but if you dont care about that then dress whatever you feel like, in which case some people might feel like you dont have a very strict personal style butits up to you if you mind about that.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

yeah i don't think the idea of having a cohesive style "direction," especially in the eyes of others is really that important. at the end of the day wear what's you, if you like expressing that through a variety of silhouettes then by all means go for it. who cares what they think

i dont wear slim clothing that often, i do sometimes but these days i generally favor roomier clothing as i feel it's more suited to my personality that i want to convey through clothing at th moment. im more interested in the idea of movement rather than structure at this point.

Comment

• jsp
        • Jan 2008

For me, I like to mix things up. One day I might wear all slim clothing, then the next could be a fitted shirt and slouchy pants. I guess it depends on what mood I'm in, but playing with proportions is alway interesting. As long you pursue a certain aesthetic, I wouldn't say your style is a mess. It's alright to mix things up a bit.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

What Mike and Matthew said. [Y]
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KAMO
            • Mar 2008

nicely put mike/matt

i notice the girls usually have more variation in terms of style or silhouettes

there are a few here like fumma, tiger and viridi who do mix it up abit every now and then

i never actually thought maintaining a certaindirection or stylewas that important till my friends starting comenting on what i wore; and seeing that most members on this board are very consistent with their style of dressing, i thought they might have a point.

it all started with a pair of CDG homme plus pants really.

a friend persuaded me to try them onat the store even though i swore i would nevertouchthem because i thought they were "too baggy for my liking".

in short, i fell in love with the pants after trying them on and have been embracing the roomier silhouette ever since.

now i'm rockingbaggy pants one dayand skinny jeans the next [86]

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

I think this is an interesting topic, I'd love to hear more thoughts. I started a thread like this a long time ago titled something like "you favorite silhouette" that didn't get any replies. It's interesting how your eye can change to accept new silhouettes.

A few years ago at the height of Dior fanaticism I thought the only acceptable silhouette is basically a stick, if the pants are skinny the top has to be skinny too in proportion. In the last year or I've come to accept the big on top small on bottom look that I originally thought was silly (maybe it's just the bit of winter weight I have yet to shed...).

In high school, I remember thinking tight on top baggy on bottom was cool, because I thought all the skater boys with their tight tees and huge jnco jeans were hot [85].

music

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎