X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • resolution653
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
    Anyone had any experience with the Andrea Maack fragrances?
    Just Coven, I posted my thoughts on a couple pages back...

"One thing I know for sure about Coven is if a dank, earthy, soil scent sounds appealing to you, look no further. On my skin first couple hours it is a deep, dark, alluring scent with the earthy soil note steadily becoming more pronounced, once the soil comes out then spices and I'm assuming the listed "whiskey" comes together to create this incredibly warm earth, soil accord."

Comment

• Dorje
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by resolution653 View Post
      Thanks for the info, Dorje. Yea, I'd never blind-buy any fragrance. For ones like us with a passion for scents it only makes sense to while not necessarily move on to strictly natural oil attars but to at least explore them.

When it comes to the use of synthetics, I have no quibble about them to be honest, brings to mind reading Luca Turin, can't find exact quote but this blog post also covers it ( http://lucyrowettfragrance.wordpress...on-luca-turin/ )

Some scents just appeal to me more than others regardless if natural or synthetic. I've never smelled organic natural oud on its own, however I do love Le Labo Oud 27 that uses Oud Synthetic 10760 E. from the Swiss company, Firmenich. Perhaps its my inexperienced nose to natural perfumery and I may change my mind down the road. I actually like the science aspect of creating and using different aromatic molecules in fragrance.
      I agree, and I use a few frags that are not all natural, but I have found most perfumers use synthetics with heavy hand and create frags that irritate me, either immediately or over time.

Comment

• Scander
        • Jul 2013

At the moment CdG Black.

Comment

• Ivans On High
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

Thanks for this. I popped into Assin in Sydney and tried the range. Was particularly taken by Coven and Coal. Your description of Coven sits very well with me.

Originally posted by resolution653 View Post
          Just Coven, I posted my thoughts on a couple pages back...

"One thing I know for sure about Coven is if a dank, earthy, soil scent sounds appealing to you, look no further. On my skin first couple hours it is a deep, dark, alluring scent with the earthy soil note steadily becoming more pronounced, once the soil comes out then spices and I'm assuming the listed "whiskey" comes together to create this incredibly warm earth, soil accord."

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

Have found some great frags lately!

1. Heeley - Vetiver Veritas: Wow is this potent. Probably the most potent fragrance I've owned alongside Carnal Flower. So, this is raw Haitian Vetiver with some serious smokey greens and a dash of mint. It says there is some grapefruit in there, but I don't get that at all. I'd highly recommend this and I find it to be quite unique and goes quite nicely with a spray of Menthe. I think this is supposedly 100% natural with 92% organic ingredients so interesting to be soooooo potent. Amazing longevity.

2. Le Labo - Limette 37 - Ignoring the fact that this is out of control expensive, I liked this scent. Lime, Bergamont, maybe cedar and a few other notes make this a really great summer smell. For me, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't last super long. It's on me for about 3 hours and that's about it.

3. Eau de Magnolia - Frederic Malle EdP - I was pleasantly surprised by this. It's a citrus/floral blend, but for me, more citrus than floral, which isn't too surprising since Magnolia kinda smells citrus-like when you crush it up. Also a dose of Bergamont, green (I guess that's the moss in there) and the touch of vetiver. I'd compare this to Limette a little (as a category) and prefer this over the Limette. A lot of people were comparing this to Jurassic Flower (the candle based on Magnolia for EdP) but I don't find them to be that similar, though I like both very much. Definitely highly recommended if you like light floral, effervescent type scents.

4. Got a new bottle of Noir Epices - Frederic Malle - EdP - The best spice bomb on the planet IMO. Clove, cinnamon, Pepper and I'm relatively obsessed with Geranium scents so that's a bonus too. Lasts for days on me and is on my all time Hall of Fame.

5. Aedes des Venustas - Oeillet Bengale - The third installment from this house. I was obviously looking for a spicy alternative to #4 and found this. I have to say that I am relatively obsessed with this brand ever since the Rhubarb scent came out (purple bottle). Anyway, I liked this scent and I like the spices used with the addition of the labdanum, saffron and tumeric notes which give it a unique vibe. I wasn't a fan of the touch of rose and vanilla in there. I don't like vanilla, though I will say it's only a dash. Great scent with longevity, but very clovey so similar to other scents.

6. Surge Lutens - Vitriol D-oeillet - Really nice frag in the same category as #4 and #5 above. Yet, this one is unique on it's own because of the carnation aspect. It's like a slightly more fruity/floral version of CdG Red Series Carnation with a lower dose of clove than that one, which is essentially all clove. I liked this, but just took a sample since it's a little more feminine on me and I liked #4 and #5 more for the spicier fragrance category. Nonetheless, a very nice scent with longevity that wears close to the skin for surprises with body temperature and placement.

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

I've just ordered a bottle of House of Matriarch Blackbird. Really looking forward to this one, pricey at $300 USD for 60ml, but it's a ridiculously high concentration of perfume oil at 33%, along with what is allegedly 93% natural ingredients and 7% aroma chemicals.

Some of the notes include (300 of them apparently):

Conifer, Seaweed, Leather, Oud, Cannabis

Comment

• neongud
                • Mar 2013

So I bought into the hype with CDG Wonderwood, and I must say: damn, this smells so good. Never really cared that much about fragrance before, but my experience with that one made me order samples of other well known and high rated fragrances.

The ones I got were these:
                Lalique Encre Noir
                Bvlgari BLV
                Bleu de Chanel
                Terre D'Hermes

Really can't wait, this is kind of a new world for me to explore.

Comment

• Shifts
                  • Jul 2013

Nice write up darkbydesign, much appreciated. For another potent vetiver fragrance, go to Santa Maria Novella. I used to call theirs a horse kick vetiver. Haven't tried Heeley's yet, will keep my eyes peeled.

Malle's Eau de Magnolia I've so far only tested on paper. Can't say much about it yet, besides that on paper it lasts and lasts. Quite surprised by this. Tested it on Saturday and today on Wednesday I can still feel a clear character coming from the paper strip.

Comment

• ryanhast
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Law View Post
                    I've just ordered a bottle of House of Matriarch Blackbird. Really looking forward to this one, pricey at $300 USD for 60ml, but it's a ridiculously high concentration of perfume oil at 33%, along with what is allegedly 93% natural ingredients and 7% aroma chemicals.

Some of the notes include (300 of them apparently):

Conifer, Seaweed, Leather, Oud, Cannabis
                    This is my favorite. I love trying new stuff, but I always come back to this one.

Comment

• resolution653
                      • Nov 2013

Looked into House of Matriarch awhile back. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Blackbird. I Love the bottle designs for their Achtung line.

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                      2. Le Labo - Limette 37 - Ignoring the fact that this is out of control expensive, I liked this scent. Lime, Bergamont, maybe cedar and a few other notes make this a really great summer smell. For me, I'm happy with it, but it doesn't last super long. It's on me for about 3 hours and that's about it.
                      I see Le Labo are offering their city exclusives worldwide for a limited time, as they do once every two years. Limette is probably the one I'd go for too, bummer to hear about the longevity, especially at that price.

Speaking of lime, I'm a big fan of Fils De Dieu by Etat Libre d’Orange. Great for hot summers. Mouthwatering steamed rice, lime, coconut. Spotty longevity, doesn't bother me too much considering its very affordable compared to Limette 37.

Samples coming in this week.
                      Amouage - Opus VIII, Journey Man
                      CDG - Wonderoud
                      Etat Libre d’Orange - Cologne
                      Regime des Fleurs - Water/Wood

http://regimedesfleurs.com/ anyone have any experience with their offerings ?

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

^yea I was excited to see the city exclusives coming back, I missed it last time around. But after reading several reviews that none of them are especially amazing and the prices are crazy I'm much less excited.

Tried out Wonderoud over the weekend, it seems to me more like a Wonderwood flanker than a completely new fragrance. VERY similar to Wonderwood but a little more mellow/smooth. It's nice, but redundant if you already own Wonderwood. That said, when I run out of Wonderwood I may consider buying it just for variety.
                        music

Comment

• resolution653
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                          ^yea I was excited to see the city exclusives coming back, I missed it last time around. But after reading several reviews that none of them are especially amazing and the prices are crazy I'm much less excited.
                          I feel exactly the same. They had Aldehyde 44 which was a Dallas city exclusive but now discontinued after the Barney's store in Dallas closed. I understand the thought behind it, but don't agree with it.

Comment

• resolution653
                            • Nov 2013

What have ya guys been wearing lately ?

I have Anubis by Papillon Perfumery on atm. It's a beautifully blended, smokey, tobacco, incense scent with a rich suede note. I think a lot will enjoy this, especially when the cooler weather arrives.

Also got samples from www.phoeniciaperfumes.com of Skin Graft, and Gone But Not. Skin Graft, has the band-aid/medicinal scent I've been searching for. Oud27 has a band-aid scent as well but without the medicinal qualities I love in Skin Graft.

Gone But Not, "industrial hairspray" blended with fruit, cognac, musk, jasmine, and elemi ? never knowingly tried elemi in fragrance before. This is how I want to smell in hot weather.

He is waiting for a certain honey before reproducing Skin Graft, will be ordering 15ml bottles of both when he restocks it.
                            Last edited by resolution653; 08-18-2014, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• Shifts
                              • Jul 2013

Comme des Garçons - 3 has received a lot of wear this summer. Love it in the heat, even though it is not exceptionally exciting.

Ormonde Jayne - Ormonde Man. Also lovely in the heat. I'm soon finishing my bottle and I might get a second one. Surprised I never see this one mentioned much. Sandalwood is the main theme here.

Les Liquides Imaginaires - Bloody Wood. Absolutely amazing – apart from the fact that it tones down way way too fast. Soft soft woods. Lovely packaging too.
                              Last edited by Shifts; 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• resolution653
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                                Les Liquides Imaginaires - Bloody Wood. Absolutely amazing – apart from the fact that it tones down way way too fast. Soft soft woods. Lovely packaging too.
                                I recall that brand from this video I watched awhile back about their offerings.

Love their bottle design. Checking out their fragrantica, see they released 3 new ones. Would definitely try them if they come available at a state side shop that offers samples. I see Barney's carries a few but not the entire collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎