Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • syed
    • Sep 2010

Turin's book The Secret of Scent is a fun read, he explains his vibrational theory (vs. shape theory) and breaks down different scent types and histories. Also Chandler Burr's book on Turin, The Emperor Of Scent, is a good read on how Turin formulated the theory and tried to get it recognised.
    "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• trentk
      • Oct 2010

Those are both on my list. Can anyone recommend shops that sell men's perfume in dc? Will be there briefly this week. (Sf too, but that's less urgent as I can go there whenever).
      "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• graydot
        • Aug 2009

Crosspost from the women's fragrance thread...

Looking for recommendations. Trying to find a fragrance for my wife. She currently wears Safran Troublant and CdG Holygrace. Hoping to find something that has some of the same notes, but not necessarily similar. Unrelated scents that others enjoy are helpful as well.

Comment

• zen dog
          • Jan 2014

I like http://www.luckyscent.com. If they carry something your wife likes/has worn you can type it in and get recommendations for similar scents. Since some of this isn't cheap I say buy sample vials. Also they have free sample collections for both men and women with purchase. The problem is the descriptions are so poetic you want so many yet know so few will truly intrigue you (hence samples).

I was at an opening at their Los Angeles store this Saturday- an animated, passionate crowd. Highly recommended if you are in town.

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by graydot View Post
            Crosspost from the women's fragrance thread...

Looking for recommendations. Trying to find a fragrance for my wife. She currently wears Safran Troublant and CdG Holygrace. Hoping to find something that has some of the same notes, but not necessarily similar. Unrelated scents that others enjoy are helpful as well.
            Based on my experience on those two fragrances and the note breakdowns, I would recommend Maison Francis Kurkdjian- Ciel de Gum.

Comment

• graydot
              • Aug 2009

Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations zen dog and Law

Comment

• zen dog
                • Jan 2014

Sure, let me know if you have as much fun with the site as I do.

Comment

• beyondthemeans
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by syed View Post
                  Turin's book The Secret of Scent is a fun read, he explains his vibrational theory (vs. shape theory) and breaks down different scent types and histories. Also Chandler Burr's book on Turin, The Emperor Of Scent, is a good read on how Turin formulated the theory and tried to get it recognised.
                  There's a TED talk from Turin where he briefly explains his theory, recommended!

Comment

• savant
                    • Jul 2011

Would candles be included here ? Was looking for a gift and got Mad et Len in Figue Noire. I liked the scent/notes and purchased it on the spot. Seemed like a unisex one

Comment

• gregor
                      • Oct 2014

i could never convince myself to buy mad et len candles simply because they're absolutely extraneous for candles, but a friend of mine purchased one, and it did smell quite nice. cdg makes nice candles as well, a bit more affordable if still a bit much.

Comment

• shawn
                        • Apr 2007

Mad et Len is quite trendy on the market right now. Is it really good i am wondering..well, visually it looks unique that black brushed bottle. :) as one of the main reasons I guess.

Thinking about to try their home diffusion as I think it's more easier than candles in the modern days.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by savant View Post
                          Would candles be included here ? Was looking for a gift and got Mad et Len in Figue Noire. I liked the scent/notes and purchased it on the spot. Seemed like a unisex one
                          This is my favorite, closely followed by Terre Noire. Mad et Len products are expensive for a reason - they don't merely spray their candles with perfume like most fragrance companies do - they use essential oils in them. Plus the packaging cannot be beat.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              This is my favorite, closely followed by Terre Noire. Mad et Len products are expensive for a reason - they don't merely spray their candles with perfume like most fragrance companies do - they use essential oils in them. Plus the packaging cannot be beat.

http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2012/09/m...of-lost-scent/
                              I have the terre noire which smells fantastic, I admit it. But it really lacks power to perfume the room when you light it. Byredo does the job better imho, perfume is less attractive though. And I completely agree about the packaging, can't be beat.
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• unwashed
                                • Dec 2008

I have the same with my mad et len, scent isn't really present and my candle cannot fill a small living area unfortunately. You really have to be close to notice the scent. Unlike dyptique. I just bought the Feu de Bois and this is so damn good... I combine it with mousses.

I also just discovered CdG Black, this is also soo good! Why haven't I found this before!
                                Grailed link

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎