X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdytg
    • Feb 2010

Didn't know ! Too bad and sad!!!
    Her perfume OUD is like a jewel made of the rarest oud, hope someone will go on with her perfumes!
    I 've always had a LOT of difficulties with oud fragrances and this is the very first time I fall in love with one!
    Dane, do you know a bit about MDCI (certainly more than a bit!), please, would it disturb you to tell some words about? (I have been impressed by the quality, the complexity of the "multilayering" , the longlasting )...the one I bought seems to be a classic: Ambre Topkapi by Pierre Bourdon...
    Not primary what I thought to buy in entering in SENS UNIQUE but really different from the ambre fragrances I had up to now...A very noble fragrance large and round with multilayers of real nice floral, fruity, woody, leathery and aquamarine layers added to soft round amber...one thing which captured me was the possibility to focus on each of the layers differently (I hope I am not explaining this too bad:-))
    http://www.mypixeldiary.com
    http://www.birdytg.com
    www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
    http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

The Mona oud is ridiculously overpriced...I dont' care how good it smells frankly, the price is crazy.

Anyway, the MDCI's aren't much better in price...although the "refills" are reasonable (in comparison). Having said that, the MDCI line is extremely well done, high quality, and imo, worth the price. Promesse de l'Aube has been on my wish list for some time now. The recent lot, done by Patricia di Nicolai, has been a bit lackluster frankly, but still good.

Pic of MDCI with "bust"...retails for around $610. Without the head, $250. The Mona oud is around $550 USD.

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• jogu
        • Jun 2009

got a fuckload of etat libre samps , was a lil bit curious of them but i avoided them cos of the sex pistols frag they have . idk to me that made me think like nahhhh so i didnt bother with the line but was bored and ordered a ton of stuff to smell for fun . theres one in particular that from the very 1st moment i was like 100% " fuck yesssss " , and surprisingly to me a bunch of others arent too bad .

i also finally got to test the newer dh intense . the difference is so minor , at least in the notes . the longevity is def weaker like other ppl have said and so far the only real difference im gettin between the older and the reform is after a short while the older one loses the opening sharpness almost completely and goes all warm vanillary on me , the newer one keeps that sharpness all throughout

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Etat Libre is a terrific line...well priced too.

I can't be bothered getting caught up in the DH discussion...guys on basenotes are fucking neurotic. The old will be available at discounters for decades, so I wouldn't lose sleep over which is better.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• thehouseofdis
            • Jan 2010

I went to Le Labo today and tried on the Patchouli 24. I will say this about it, it sticks around. I sprayed it around 16:30 then stood in line for a concert, then stood in the crowd for the entire concert and then took the subway home and it's now 01:47 and I can still smell it.

It's got a interesting, complex, scent. It might be too strong for daily use, but I'm used to spraying something on in the morning and forgetting that I have it one by the time I get to work.
            THE HOUSE OF DIS
            embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

I have admitted earlier to knowing absolutely nothing about fragrance so I'm turning to those who do for suggestions.
              In my entire life, I've worn 4 scents: One was a Hugo Boss scent (the one with the nylon web strap holding the cap on the bottle), the other was Happy by Clinique, (both of which were gifts) the other was Egoist by Chanel and the more recent one is simply 'Funeral Home' by the demeter scents company. (which basically smells like dead flowers...I actually rather like it).

I'd say I'm fairly hypersensitive to perfumes and colognes in general but I'd still like to have something that's kind of subtle and not too overwhelming. I realize that scents react differently to different people but I'd still like some advice on a few scents to look into.

I thought about Bulgari Black after reading about it on here but read some reviews that mentioned burnt rubber as an initial smell and that turned me off.

I do like patchouli a little but not the memories I have of suffering through others wearing it during my college years. We used to joke that it smelled like an open grave. But there are parts of the scent that I do like.

I mentioned that I liked the scent of Rick's clothes...because it's nondescript and just smells kind of 'pure' (for lack of a better term).
              Someone suggested that I look into some white musks...I did and didn't particularly care for any of the ones I sampled.

I don't like the woodsy/oaky/moss stuff really or the ones that smell like heavy detergent or flowery and neither do I want something that smells too feminine. So as impossible as it may seem, I'd like to find something that is unique, not too heavy or perfumey...something subtle and maybe 'dark' (in the way that patchouli may be described as 'dark')

I like the idea of what demeter and other companies do with scents like 'library' or 'holy water'...just because they seem less potent. But I don't particularly want to smell like an old library book (although I love the scent).

I think there are places online where you can buy samples, which is probably my best bet since I'm not near any retail spot where many of these might be available an I'd hate to waste a mint trying to find the right one for me. I guess the challenge is in describing a lot of these scents...maybe like describing abstract art or wine. But I'll appreciate any suggestions that I could look into.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

There are lots of different clean musks that don't smell ilke the typical white musk, but also don't smell like detergent. Thierry Mugler's Cologne is a good example. Others - Bvlgari Homme, Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous La Pluis, L'Artisan Parfumeur Mure et Musc, etc.

Others were discussing CB I Hate Perfume...he's the guy that did many of the original Demeter scents. Worth a shot.

Comment

• beardown
                  rekoner
                  • Feb 2009

Thanks, Dane. I believe I'm going to try Black March after reading some of the reviews of CB. Faust...did you have this at one point and sell it on here? I remember seeing the packaging before.

Sounds like a scent I could relate to.

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Faust was somewhat unimpressed with CB, but based on the description of what you like, Beardown, I think it might be perfect for you. It's quite subtle on dry down which is some people's complaint, but I've found a pleasing scent still lasts all day on me even though it quickly loses its initial kick. If you like dead flowers you might also like my personal favorite Wild Hunt, though Black March is also very nice.

On another note, does anyone else choose their scent based on the weather? Not just seasonal but each days weather? For example, I always go for Wild Hunt when it rains as it's mossy wetness goes well with the environment, when it snows I like Eau Noir because the spicy notes give me a warm wintry feeling, on the hottest days I wear Jil Sander because it's so fresh and sharp like the hot sun. I don't put too much thought into it, but I've noticed I go for the same fragrances over and over for certain weather situations.
                    Last edited by casem; 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM.
                    music

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

It's very common for people to choose scents seasonally...you often read "10 fav scents for Spring" etc. on blogs/forums. Just like clothing, I tend to wear almost everything I have year-round though (well, I don't wear winter coats in the summer...but I wear the same pants/shirts/tees, etc.), but I doubt I'm the norm.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                        Thanks, Dane. I believe I'm going to try Black March after reading some of the reviews of CB. Faust...did you have this at one point and sell it on here? I remember seeing the packaging before.

Sounds like a scent I could relate to.
                        I think CB Perfume is total hype, honestly. I went, I saw, I bought, I sold it quickly. Never again.

From what you describe I would recommend L'Artisan Perfumer Mechant Loupe. That in any case will be my next scent - it's cold, unobtrusive, and totally your own.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          From what you describe I would recommend L'Artisan Perfumer Mechant Loupe. That in any case will be my next scent - it's cold, unobtrusive, and totally your own.
                          Lovely scent. I lived in that for a few years, and fully expect to do so again sometime.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• beardown
                            rekoner
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            I think CB Perfume is total hype, honestly. I went, I saw, I bought, I sold it quickly. Never again.

Thanks, Faust. I respect your opinion and appreciate the suggestion. I found where I can get a sample of the fragrance you mentioned so I'll try it out. I know the Demeter stuff doesn't last long and is almost more of a novelty than a true cologne or perfume but I'm going to check out 'dust' as well just because of some of the reviews and it's only like $5 for a 2 ml sample.
                            Last edited by beardown; 01-02-2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

^ L'Artisan is a good option for you overall...most of them are light and unobtrusive. You could also check out the Hermessence line, although it's $$$. Ditto for The Different Company.

Comment

• TheThief
                                • Mar 2011

Dane, just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the direction of bois d'encens. I missed the one on eBay but actually found another (for a reasonable price) and am loving it. It starts off a bit peppery but that burns off to pure inscense

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎