Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

i know, but when i actually tried molecule 01 at the counter, i could not smell it. it was like nothing to me.

isn't escentric 01 a variation of molecule 01, but i don't know how to mix it..

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
      i know, but when i actually tried molecule 01 at the counter, i could not smell it. it was like nothing to me.

isn't escentric 01 a variation of molecule 01, but i don't know how to mix it..
      Right...getting my names mixed up again. I was talking about Molecule 01.

Either way, Iso E Super is one of those tricky materials that is unsmellable at points, and super strong at others.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• comedyzen
        • May 2009

Yes, champaca. I did some more searching and learned that CDG makes one. Ordered a sample from:

Also ordered samples of Ormonde Jayne and Tom Ford.

Comment

• beardown
          rekoner
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by copacetic View Post

does anyone here think there is some dissonance if someone decked out in rick owens would want to smell like a mossy, humid forest? i don't really think there is, but i can imagine what the objections would sound like. SZ, as a taste-maker, seems to be sending the message that the vision of a designer can be divorced from the tone a fragrance sets.
          As someone who hasn't focused much in the past on fragrance or scents, I'd say it feels as personal as picking out a jacket or shoes in a much more personal, more ambiguous way.

I certainly want there to be a consistency between who I am personally, my tastes in general, my clothing, etc but I think there is a lot of room for interpretation with fragrance. They react differently to different people, others seem to be affected in different ways by the same scent...it ultimately just becomes another personal choice that we feel represents our personality or character in some way.

I don't dress 'up' vey often so I wouldn't want a very clean, formal scent attached to myself. I'd want something that is unique, fairly subtle, mysterious...a little tough to define...I've found that's what makes it an interesting thing to delve into.

I love the idea of olfactory memory and how smell is so directly tied to certain times and events in life. And certainly that will help define why I prefer one scent over another and why others may not care for one that I love...it's intangible and as long as it creates a fond feeling for me, I guess (probably inaccurately) that it might affect others in the same, obscue way. But in my opinion, it's better to be inaccurate than too literal. Like popular fashion, popular scents are something I don't think I could identify with. Another reason I never wore any kind of cologne...I honestly never found one that didn't overwhelm me or just smack of all the wrong things....most came across as soapy, detergent, noxious gasses rather than something you'd want to expose yourself to.

I find it interesting when reviews lament a fragrance that doesn't stay around long because that's one thing I tend to like. I don't necessarily want a scent that will follow me around all day into night, especially if much of that time is spent at home. I can apply it, reapply if I have something going on but it won't overload me or follow me to bed.

MDB, I appreciate your suggestions and offer for a sample. I did indeed order samples of the scent Faust mentioned and the 2 the you mentioned. They are on their way so I'll feel comfortable making a larger investment once I see how I react to them and how they react to me.

Glad to spend $40 getting samples if it means saving a few hundred on buying something I won't wear.

But it's been nice to have somewhere to turn for advice and find so many knowledgeable members to help. As personal as I know scents are, it's cool to describe what you think you'd like and have those who chime in with potential options. So thanks again to Dane, Faust, MDB, et al for the suggestions.

I know as much about all this as I know about wine...which boils down to 'I know if I like it' and so I look forward to reporting back with my experience from the samples.
          Originally posted by mizzar
          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
            Wow, if Dzing! is Rococo, then the amber fragrances I'd recommend, like Profumum's "Amber Aurea", Parfum d'Empire's "Ambre Russe" or Serge Lutens' "Amber Sultan" would be some Louis XVIth shit.MBD

i really like pro fvmvum - last year i stumbled across one of their little shops in rome and picked up arso, cause it smelled like cedars and fire to me. it's perfect for winter. also i met one of the brothers and he was super nice, so i just really took to the whole brand. i will be buying more from them for sure.

Comment

• endorphinz
              Banned
              • Jun 2009

has anybody used this?

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

^ I find I have a lot of bottles that you can't just simply pop off the atomizer...really, the only time I want something like this is when the bottle is a splash, which doesn't work with this type of refillable canister.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

I can pop the top off most of the few bottles I have so I think I'll buy 1 & try it

tbh,I'm not sure if I prefer spray or non spray bottles but the travel atomizer is good to throw in a bag...guess I could just buy a cheap one without the valve system

cheap bvlgari black

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

I hate splash bottles...for every one I have, there sits a small atomizer behind it to spray & refill. They always look nicer (Lutens, for example), but aren't practical.

The worst, though, are the bulb atomizers that companies like Guerlain use on their higher end scents...they literally evaporate in a few weeks if you don't remove the atomizer and cork the bottle.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Random Suggestions

I'm bored @ work...so I thought I'd write a quick list of me-approved scents for anyone looking to try something new. Also hoping that some of the boys here will leave their comfort zone and try some women's scents...

$

1. CK One Shock for Men - cheap, brilliant composition, a little trashy, but all the better for it. Worth trying, even if you'll be embarrassed to tell people what you're wearing.

2. Bvlgari Black - much discussed in the past few pages, but again, this is a top-notch scent that smells great for any occasion and can be had cheaply from discounters.

3. Bvlgari Pour Homme - terrific, "grey" smelling musk/woods combo. Again, can be found cheaply...don't pay retail. There are a few flankers (Soir, Extreme, etc.) but the original is best.

$$

4. CDG Carnation - spicy, poisonous smelling floral...very unisex, not too expensive, and unique.

5. Guerlain Vol de Nuit - a classic from the 30's that again, is very unisex, green-herbal oriental. I go through this stuff like water and never tire of it.

6. Hermes Caleche Eau Delicate - if you can ignore the name/associations, this is a brilliant composition of cedar and ambergris (whale puke) that smells monotone and expensive.

$$$

7. Amouage Dia Man - not cheap, but excellent quality ingredients...cardamom, a few florals, woods. Easy to love. Ordering from store in England can save you a few bucks.

8. Chanel Sycomore - the best vetiver money can buy. Was once only sold in 200ml jugs, but has since been released in more affordable 75ml bottles.

9. Serge Lutens La Myrrhe - can only be purchased from the one shop in Paris (who only ship within Europe), but if you can get your hands on a bottle, you'll be impressed. Sticky resins, fluorescent citrus/aldehydes. The best from the giant Lutens collection.

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

I'm trying to find something that smells like a deciduous forest, as opposed to tropical wood or antique furniture fragrances I'm finding in spades. I sampled Dsquared's He Wood (oh jesus, don't hurt me) and it was actually pretty close, until thirty minutes in when the wood notes disappeared and it turned into some soapy bullshit.

I tried covering myself in dirt and leaves but only got arrested. Please help.

look, okay, the lady behind the counter suggested the dsquared thing and i just didn't want to be rude

i swear to god, it's the truth

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Wonderwood by CDG.

Honestly though, I'm not really into smelling like a place...so someone may have a better suggestion.

Comment

• Patroklus
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2011

i just wanted something grassier and dirtier and less varnishy.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Chene by Serge Lutens; Epic Man by Amouage; Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne...

Frankly, I'd go for something heavy on the vetiver...Sycomore by Chanel, Encre Noire by Lalique, etc. Green and earthy without being literal.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

Patroklus.

You want some "green" scents.

My favs are:

Heeley-Menthe Fresche
                                Frederic Malle - Geranium Pour Monsuir
                                Le Labo - Santal 33
                                Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinar
                                CdG Green series - Tea
                                CdG Green series - Mint