Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • several_girls
    • Nov 2010

After getting your recommendations Dane and browsing the last 10-15 pages of this thread, I ordered a bunch of samples. I'm a 'noob' when it comes to fragrances but here are some reflections anyway. Hopefully someone might find this helpful.

Carnation by CdG - The aldehyde, black pepper, cayanne and floral notes are the most clear. The combination is refreshing, energizing and light. I would wear this in the summer.

L'Air du Desert Morocain by Tauer - cedar, warm, inviting, comforting, sickly sweet, slightly spicy and foody. Compared to the other incense/spice scents I tried, this one has a 'beveled edge'.

L'Homme Sage by Divine - muted, understated, pleasant, masculine. Woods, spice, incense and lurking fruit. The notes mingle together and give a more unified impression as opposed to something like Carnation where the notes are split and clear.

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo - Very spicy, very 'dry', strong and lasting. The scent seems to float above my skin! I have read many reviews that compare this to CdG 2 Man and the similarity is unmistakable. This is distinguished though by a sharpness I don't find in 2 Man.

Wonderwood by CdG - Similar to the woodsy/spicy scents I have tried, but this one is more subdued, smudgy, dark, 'wet' or dank. I'm actually a little disappointed; it doesn't smell quite as intensely of any pine or cedar that I expected. If I wanted woods I would actually go to Sequoia or Fille en Aiguilles before this one.

S-ex by S-perfume - The mystery of this one isn't easily unraveled. I can pick out a strong suede accompanied by a malty sweetness. Both parade into your nose in this synthetic, artificial kind of way. It's not 'sexy' in the sense of being animalistic, I find it far more cold and even robotic. I think a key tension in this fragrance is a sperm-leather scent that pulls you in, but a plastic/factory-fresh rubber pushes you away. My interpretation at this point is 'sex with a condom on, maybe a little lube.' It's a subtle, quiet, 'round' frag and wears away from the skin. At least on me.

Shaal Nur by Etro - The talcum powderiness and clean nature of this scent stand out most strongly to me. I can pick out the citrus and incense walking around amid the sandstorm of powder. Probably my least favorite of the bunch I sampled.

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes - The most wearable and versatile scent of the bunch. Bright orange peel and grapefruit grounded in dark earthiness of soil and cedar. It smells delicious without being foody. Airy and fresh. I can see why this scent is immensely popular.

Black Tourmaline by Oliver Durbano - Ash. A friend coming back into the bar after going outside for a cig. Dark and 'black' with just the right amount of spiciness. A tinge of sweetness behind outlining the oud and woods. Beautiful, complex, addictive. A complete and self-contained universe of a scent if I ever smelled one. This scent just knocks me out even though its more of an alienating scent than inviting or personal.

Pentachord Verdant by Tauer - Wow! This is a stand-out, unique and unusual fragrance even among all the other 'unusual' fragrances I sampled. Loud, vibrant, insistent. It's linear and has the sharp tanginess of moss, fungus or mold. It's grassy, green and minty rounded out by black licorice and tobacco. The most 'unwearable' of the lot, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Incense Oud by By Kilian - This stuff wears so close to the skin, I swear it's oozing out of my sweat glands. Boozy, wet and sticky. The notes are complex and like Homme Sage they meld and blend together into something special. The rose and musk bog down (in a good way) the woods, incense and pepper. Addictive and the most 'sexy' of the lot.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens - A pine, cedar and doug fir campfire, with sap that sizzles and boils from the heat. Fruity sweetness and a little powder come in at the drydown.

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens - If you ever wanted to smell like carrots, tulips, or the center of other root vegetables, this one is for you. And iris, of course. You're preparing a salad with garden vegetables you just picked from the garden and washed, the moment of this scent is cutting into the veggies.

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens - Fresh and light, with myrhh of course. Unisex but erring on the side of feminine, if that matters to you. Gentle and fruity, bright.

Opus V by Amouage - Murky, swampy, mossy and wet. The rum and rose are easy to pick out. The rose gives it a more feminine aura to me. Wears close to the skin but projects quite well.

Rahat Loukhoum by Serge Lutens - Pure sweetness with a bit of cream, like a sugar cookie or shortcake. The almond and cherry stand out.

Maghreb by Tauer - Bought this just because it seemed to be Tauer's latest release. Warm and sunny. Skin musk. A close relative of l'Air Desert Morocain for sure, but less sweet. More citrus, more herbs.

Comment

• anomolies
      • Dec 2011

I wish someone made a fragrance that smelled of oranges, whiskey sour cocktail, and skunk

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

^ I can probably help with the orange & whisky sour...the skunk you'll have to layer on separately.

several_girls - awesome descriptions! I love the way you explained S-ex...very apt. So I'm curious...any on your to-buy list now?
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• several_girls
          • Nov 2010

It's funny, Black Tourmaline is the winner in my book but it doesn't seem to accord with my personality or wardrobe. I'd have to buy more Devoa and spend more time brooding behind hardcover copies of Dostoyevsky.

Incense Oud is the runner up as a sexy and personal scent I could share with a significant other. Terre d'Hermes would be my next choice for its nigh universal adoration and versatility.

I'll be ordering more samples, I'm now in love with the process. Often I'll dab some on before going on the treadmill or lifting weights. The motion, sweat and body heat really animate the fragrances. I'm curious to look more into Tauer, Durbano, Amouage, Kilian and Serge Lutens. Also some earthy/soil scents for spring/summer.

I'll also go back to your original post and include those other things you mentioned in my next round of samples. The reviews of Humiecki & Graef made them sound too novel/gimmicky to waste my time, though.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Is it true that Dior changed the formula for their high end fragrances after discontinuing then rerelaeasing them? I've wanted Bois D'argent since it came out but I went with Eau Noir at the time (which I still love). I'm ready to get a new scent so I'm considering getting it but is it not as good these days? I haven't tried it in a few years.
            music

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I know the Humiecki scents sound gimmicky, but they're authored by the best perfumer in the world, so please do consider one or two.

casem83 - Bois d'Argent is still the same. If you can't find it for whatever reason, Odori's Iris is very similar.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• anomolies
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                ^ I can probably help with the orange & whisky sour...the skunk you'll have to layer on separately.

several_girls - awesome descriptions! I love the way you explained S-ex...very apt. So I'm curious...any on your to-buy list now?

how?

I'm thinkin of buying a distiller and learning how to make my own scents

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by anomolies View Post
                  how?

I'm thinkin of buying a distiller and learning how to make my own scents
                  Fumidus by Profumum has a great whisky note...as does Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie.

You're not going to try to distill a skunk, are you?

Comment

• anomolies
                    • Dec 2011

I was referring to cannabis flowers actually. There are some strains that smell mind-blowing. The orange whisky sour /skunk is actually the smell of a real strain.

Most people think cannabis smells like skunk, but usually it is just the undertone, and you'd be surprised if you ever smelled fresh, non-dried buds.

It has a wide range of smells, more diverse than any other flowering plant and ranges from citrusy, candy, blueberry, spicy, piney, grassy, tropical, rotten fruit, skunky, poopy, diesel fuel, household cleaner products, etc.

Makes me wonder if it's possible to obtain essential oils that are close to the original smell, and if so, why no one has done it.
                    Last edited by anomolies; 01-15-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Patroklus
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2011

It is also used as a flavoring in foods, primarily candy and beverages.
                      lol

Comment

• anomolies
                        • Dec 2011

yea I've read that, but I'm curious as to how the essential oil smells by itself and if it's anything mind-blowing, or just some generic smell.

Also wondering what candy and beverages it's used in =o ?

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

I've seen it for sale at Venice and it smelled generically like pot. Hash usually smells a lot like the buds it was made from, so I don't see why the essential oil wouldn't match the scent of whatever you used, but I do suspect that the process will ruin your expensive weed.

Comment

• anomolies
                            • Dec 2011

I'm wondering if it's just the skunk smell that carries over to the oil.

cus I don't want to smell like a skunk. I want to smell like a blueberry skunk.

it probably would ruin the weed but honestly sometimes I enjoy smelling it more than I like smoking it.
                            Last edited by anomolies; 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• copacetic
                              • Nov 2010

Tried a friend's bottle of henrik vibskov type c today. Ocean, salty air, and seaweed. Period. Some light herbal and citrus notes. Thought it would be fresh and bracing. I ended up feeling oddly claustrophobic... Like it wanted to get rid of the salt but couldnt.
                              And "When the prince has gathered about him
                              "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• birdytg
                                • Feb 2010

For those who can be interested there are some sales on
                                L' ARTISAN PARFUMEUR website:http://www.artisanparfumeur.com/sale
                                http://www.mypixeldiary.com
                                http://www.birdytg.com
                                www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
                                http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
                                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎