Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuugaia
    • Feb 2010

I never really thought about that but I guess it's true. It would be strange to have a clothing scent, a moisturizer scent, and a perfume all mixed up. In a weird way though, I don't mind my clothing picking up some scents of 'life' so to speak. One of my leather shirts still has the hint of Korean barbecued meat and smoke from a night out two weeks ago - and it's nice to remember moments in that way.

MBD: Word. Your story reminds me of a similar situation I have, except with a face moisturizer. Something I'd like to add is that initially the scent reminds you of something in the past, or triggers a certain moment/memory. But I find the more you use/smell that scent while being away from that moment/memory, the more detached that scent becomes from that original moment/memory. It then starts to become augmented with the new moments/memories that you are experiencing - and that sucks. Because you think you have a 'bottled memory'...

Comment

• Ivans On High
      Banned
      • Oct 2008

Went to the Serge Lutens store today. What a delight. The young SA was such a big help and so pleasant. It was a nice change to some of the SAs in other fragrance stores.

I left with a few samples and a few days left in my trip to decide on something. I am quite taken by the Vetiver Oriental, though.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
        Went to the Serge Lutens store today. What a delight. The young SA was such a big help and so pleasant. It was a nice change to some of the SAs in other fragrance stores.

I left with a few samples and a few days left in my trip to decide on something. I am quite taken by the Vetiver Oriental, though.
        Vetiver Oriental is quite beautiful...very subtle and discreet, but beautiful.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Ivans On High
          Banned
          • Oct 2008

I enjoyed all of his more masculin fragrances but unfortunately time is the biggest issue as I like to wear each fragrance for a while before I decide - and I'm running out of skin.

Un Bois Sepia is also a favourite but it smells quite similar to some other fragrance, I just can't think of what that is.

Chene is another fragrance from SL which I am enjoying. Though it is completely different to anything else I own I would like to try it out. It's not the sort of fragrance I would wear to work, or in situations like that, though. I can also see it going very well with Rick Owens for some reason.

Comment

• beardown
            rekoner
            • Feb 2009

Thanks for the input about rogue scents from other hygiene sources. I was on a Malin + Goetz kick for a while...I really like the peppermint shampoo and the rum body wash. Other than detergent, that's about the only manufactured scent associated with myself, I suppose.

But they are rather strong and I couldn't specifically smell it but I'm certain they are colliding with the samples I was trying out. Kuuagia brings up a good point...I guess all of these things could create a really personal scent. I'm sure the subtle smell of leather is lingering around me when I'm out in public from one jacket or other.
            I will probably shift back into unscented territory with my cleansing arsenal. Was also using a eucalyptus scented deodorant from M+G, which is really good but a bit overpowering from my perspective.

Interesting bit about memory and scent, MDB. I have also been stopped dead in my tracks from a passing smell that's powerfully reminded me of certain times from youth. Certain foods, for sure. One of the most powerful (and odd) is the smell of electronics from the late 80s: gaming systems, hand held games, etc. When you opened them up, there was a freshness to all of that circuitry and when it was powered up, it emitted a very specific scent. It's not the same but when I do smell it, it immediately reminds me of Christmas morning, which is when I was introduced to that smell.

Also, along the same lines...plastic from Star Wars figures and packaging from that same era. I guess my brain wants to somehow create an association with Christmas subconsciously. Childhood cereals do the same thing on me...a lot of them no longer available I can very vividly remember the scents of certain ones I ate on a regular basis. I wouldn't necessarily want to smell like Fruit Brute (google it) but it would certainly brighten up my day to smell it once in a while if I had that option.

I also remember research that suggested that a kind of scent therapy could help alleviate some forms of depression. Of course, we've seen this from so-called aromatherapy. But I think it goes even deeper than most researchers have directly connected. Here are a few stories about scent and mental health/depression:

Sense of Smell linked to Depression

Using Scents to Enhance Life

To me, whatever scent I wear has to spark something personal and warm, even if it's construed by others are cold or dark. In art, I've always heard that the goal is either to seduce or repulse. I have a feeling that on some levels, that's a subconscious desire when people choose their clothing and I think it also applies to fragrances we wear.
            Originally posted by mizzar
            Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
              [
              I also thought of yet another fragrance that may interest you: Bois Farine from L'Artisan

ohh ya i love this one , smells kinda like flour , lil bit spicy but not spicy as in hot . i carry a small atomizer with me everywhere filled with bois farine . its also kinda fresh but not in a typical aquatic sporty way ( i hate stuff like that ) . get a sample 1st tho cos its def not for everyone , i read ppl describing it as peanut butter which i can kiiiinda see but i dont think peanuts at all , it really does smell like flour

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

Still waiting to go here. Was at Rick twice already but did not have the time I would want to stop in. Hoping to find something for myself and for the lady, even though the second is a challenge. Was wondering if anyone has ever found a scent they loved that may not have worked so well with their body chemistry, but then just wore it on clothes/scarves/etc? Or does that de-personalize it too much, hmmmm....

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
                I enjoyed all of his more masculin fragrances but unfortunately time is the biggest issue as I like to wear each fragrance for a while before I decide - and I'm running out of skin.

Un Bois Sepia is also a favourite but it smells quite similar to some other fragrance, I just can't think of what that is.

Chene is another fragrance from SL which I am enjoying. Though it is completely different to anything else I own I would like to try it out. It's not the sort of fragrance I would wear to work, or in situations like that, though. I can also see it going very well with Rick Owens for some reason.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I am not a fan of Surge Lutens, from the admittedly limited experience. T-bone I suspect you will have better luck at L'Artisan Perfumeur or Annick Goutal.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ivans On High
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2008

Just got back from L'Artisan Perfumeur. What a great place, and again exemplary customer customer service. I found these fragrances a little more unique than the SL scents I tried, though I did stick to a very specific range at Lutens.

Being able to by those travel atomizers with a free fill is also a great way to try a couple of fragrances, as are the gift packs.

My favorites are Dzing - which I found to be similar to Chene by SL, but a little more approachable, and also Fou d'Absinthe.

Comment

• aussy
                      • Jul 2011

Based on last night's experience, I recommend layering any incense fragrance with the stagnant scent of smoke filled basement shows, adds that extra dimension

edit
                      another lesson learned today: cedary fragrances such as Jaisalmer in combination with rice wine vinegar from pickled radishes smells like urine
                      Last edited by aussy; 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                        Still waiting to go here. Was at Rick twice already but did not have the time I would want to stop in. Hoping to find something for myself and for the lady, even though the second is a challenge. Was wondering if anyone has ever found a scent they loved that may not have worked so well with their body chemistry, but then just wore it on clothes/scarves/etc? Or does that de-personalize it too much, hmmmm....
                        T-bone,

I would consider going with, ahem, the Iris Silver Mist.

A suggestion for the Missus? Serge has one of the, if not *the*, best makeup lines, period. I don't even wear much makeup, but the fact that it is *so well edited,* the incredibly minimalist design...it's marvelous. (You'll also pay for it!)

MBD
                        "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                        It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                        My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Apparently Goti has some fragrances made by Santa Maria Novella. Has anyone tried them? They're called Black, White, and Earth.
                          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yes, they do, no I haven't.

Killing time at the airport - MBD, do you still need Serge Lutens?
                            Looks like I am finally going to walk away with a bottle of Mechant Loup from here - duty free + 30% off, pretty much 50% off US prices...
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Yes, they do, no I haven't.

Killing time at the airport - MBD, do you still need Serge Lutens?
                              Looks like I am finally going to walk away with a bottle of Mechant Loup from here - duty free + 30% off, pretty much 50% off US prices...
                              E- several gracious souls responded to my major Serge-related SOS, and I've got some Iris Silver Mist and LaMyhrre on the way, but thank you kindly! That said, but FU on getting a bottle of Mechant Loup for -%50. I need a little of that in my life...

If, however, someone would like to gift me some Serge Lutens makeup or engraved bell jars, however, um, feel free to PM me.

xo MBD
                              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
                                E- several gracious souls responded to my major Serge-related SOS, and I've got some Iris Silver Mist and LaMyhrre on the way, but thank you kindly! That said, but FU on getting a bottle of Mechant Loup for -%50. I need a little of that in my life...

If, however, someone would like to gift me some Serge Lutens makeup or engraved bell jars, however, um, feel free to PM me.

xo MBD
                                You're on your way to matching my SL collection! Now just nab some Sarrasins, Muscs Koublai Khan, El Attarine, Bois de Violette, and Tubereuse Criminelle!

Funny how I don't really consider myself a huge SL fan...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎