• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by birdytg View Post
    Yes Dane, thank you, I made the same analysis than you and went for the travel set and travel refills. The travel sprayer is just a very nice small object with magnetized top that I really enjoy getting in hand.
    Did you try the new "Amber Oud", just out last week?
    I have not...tbh, ouds all smell the same to me...even the real stuff.

I agree tho that Love is outstanding...if you're into sweet.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• birdytg
      • Feb 2010

Yes Love is definitively sweet but for a while not too sugary...
      But I don't agree on the fact that Ouds are all the same.
      For instance, Oud from Mona di Orio is not the same at all than an Oud from by Killian and millions miles away of Leather Oud from Dior (I know leather doesn't help to feel the Oud subtility in this last fragrance in which nothing is really subtil!!!). I think there is some subtility into the use of Oud depending on the fragrances and the creators.
      Oud has never been a hit for me into a fragrance but I, for a while, falled in love with the Mona di Orio and the by Killian ouds, even if the by Killians ones are maybe synthetic (are they? not so sure...do you know?)...this is certainly because there is a significant difference between ouds (of course the truth is that there are also many other notes added into the constitution of a told "pure" Oud which contributes to the final difference)
      Meanwhile Mona di Orio never loved Oud before she met with rare Oud from Laos which led her to finally be wanting to create a unique fragrance of high quality with Oud...

Originally posted by Dane View Post
      I have not...tbh, ouds all smell the same to me...even the real stuff.

I agree tho that Love is outstanding...if you're into sweet.
      http://www.mypixeldiary.com
      http://www.birdytg.com
      www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
      http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

^ didn't mean ouds all literally smell the same...they just all smell the same to my nose...to an oud fan, every minute difference is enough to warrant another bottle (apparently). I find the $5 oud I bought at an Afghan market just as good as the fancy stuff frankly.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• casem
          • Sep 2006

Anyone in American order from Esceuntuals before? Did it come relatively quickly/hassle free? They have significantly cheaper prices for some things, I'm wondering if it's worth the savings to order something from the UK that I could go get in a store here.
          music

Comment

• syed
            • Sep 2010

According to the Number 3 Store blog the CdG Synthetics range is back. Never actually smelt any of them before, but hopefully now I can get my hands on a few samples in the near future. Probably the boring options, but I'm quite liking the idea of Soda and Dry Clean.
            "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
              Anyone in American order from Esceuntuals before? Did it come relatively quickly/hassle free? They have significantly cheaper prices for some things, I'm wondering if it's worth the savings to order something from the UK that I could go get in a store here.
              They are reputable afaik...but you may want to check Basenotes reviews.

Originally posted by syed View Post
              According to the Number 3 Store blog the CdG Synthetics range is back. Never actually smelt any of them before, but hopefully now I can get my hands on a few samples in the near future. Probably the boring options, but I'm quite liking the idea of Soda and Dry Clean.
              They are interesting in concept, but difficult to wear. Garage and Tar are similar and smell like you think they would...petrochemical. Soda and Dryclean again are similar and as expected...chemical and citrus/musk.

Skai is the most interesting to me (still unwearable)...synthetic leather with a strange meat/champaca note.

Comment

• syed
                • Sep 2010

Skai is the most interesting to me (still unwearable)...synthetic leather with a strange meat/champaca note.
                That actually sounds rather fun. I have no real experience with the more difficult scents, so I would be interested to see how it works on my skin and just to smell it I guess.

Oh and on another note, the reviews on your blog are awesome, already made me hunt down a number of different samples
                "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

That actually sounds rather fun. I have no real experience with the more difficult scents, so I would be interested to see how it works on my skin and just to smell it I guess.

Oh and on another note, the reviews on your blog are awesome, already made me hunt down a number of different samples
                  It shared a note with one of the Guerilla scents...the one that smelled like pear & meatlocker.

And thanks! What's on your list now?

Comment

• syed
                    • Sep 2010

A few things most people have probably already smelt, but I've never tried them. From Serge Lutens - Musc Koublai Khan and Ambre Sultan, from Guerlain - Spiriteuse Double Vanille and Shalimar, and L'Air de Rien from Miller Harris.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

A few things most people have probably already smelt, but I've never tried them. From Serge Lutens - Musc Koublai Khan and Ambre Sultan, from Guerlain - Spiriteuse Double Vanille and Shalimar, and L'Air de Rien from Miller Harris.
                      L'Air de Rien is incredible. It's pure raunch.

SDV smells like William Sonoma. *gag*

Comment

• syed
                        • Sep 2010

L'Air de Rien is incredible. It's pure raunch.
                        Looking forward to giving that a smell then

Comment

• lost53
                          • Dec 2010

Just finished a bottle of Penhaligons Endymion.
                          Really enjoyed it and am considering another bottle, the only reservation was; it didn't hang around too long. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar scent, that its a EDT rather than a cologne?
                          Thanks

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Intuition by Estee Lauder smells similar and costs a fraction. I think one of the Polo's does as well, but I can't recall which one...black bottle.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ oh, man, if someone told me that about my fave cologne i'd feel like a fool.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                /\ oh, man, if someone told me that about my fave cologne i'd feel like a fool.
                                Lulz. Wasn't my intention, but yes, one can do better. The entire Penhaligons line, save for one or two, is crap.

Anyway, he asked a specific question, not what I thought he should wear. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎