X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

^ they're okay...nothing to do with blood, other than a mild metallic note. Too kitschy for me.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
      • Oct 2010

Dear all,

Silence on my part because I've been sampling the ishh of out many, many fragrances. THis one will include export and non-export Serge Lutens (when I'm serious, I'm SEWIOUS.)

Serge Lutens export line (available outside of France): there are a couple that I think are wearable. Like many of you I don't take to all of them very easily: the non-exports are the truly desirable ones because they tend not to be so overwhelming.

That said of the exports:

Two favorites Fille en Aiguilles (faust - you'll like this one.) Translated as Girl in Pine Needles, pine scents are notoriously tough, but this is a deep, rich pine resin. Sap-heavy and swoon inducing.

and Bois et Violette: the pencil shavings note that comes through so strongly in so much of Serge is present, but in balance with the perfect dose of the watery violette, it comes across as a super-intellectual, but beautiful scent.

Misc:
      Serge Noire is decent, but it's got that fresh *and* metallic twang I associate with inexpensive perfumes.

Fumerie Turque seems to be out everywhere but eBay. I tend to like smoked scents, so this was a must-have. but it's not my favorite.

Un Bois Vanille Starts of with what would be an unusual note for most other lines of fragrance: Phillipine dried mangos adding a nice contralpuntal note to what can also be an otherwise powdery scent. Can get a bit over "candied" over its evolution...I prefer L'Artisan's Vanille Absolue.

Vitrol d'oellet "Angry Carnation" I was very pleasantly surprised by this one: an otherwise harmless carnation that is saved by the (soon to be regulated out of perfumery) sharp outbursts of clove. I like this one a lot.

Gris Clair This was not a scent that I "got" upon first smell. It's a lavender unlike any you've ever smelled: a thick, oily and dark lavender like an oil spill over a stack of freshly chopped firewood. Lovely.

Arabie and Five o'Clock au Gigembre. These two are precise examples of the candied fruit notes of the Moroccan bazaar Serge is known for (and which many of you don't like.) Five o'clock is Arabie light without the jammy red berries. I never thought I'd ever want to smell like fruitcake, but it turns out that I do.

Borneo 1834: I find the chocolate note repulsive

Jeux de peau Spicy, buttered popcorn, wtf.

Louve: Maraschino Cherry with almonds. Unsettling.

Bas de soie Iris Silver Mist with some sharp teeth and an incense base. To me this ventures much further in the feminine territory where ISM is the most masculine Iris I've ever smelled.

Since picking up Iris Silver Mist and La Myrrhe from T-Bone (forever thanks!), I've been really entranced by Iris Silver Mist. Their solution for dealing with the powderiness that is characteristic of most iris scents is to replace it with beeswax -- a little strange at first but very quickly addictive. I prefer to dabble this fragrance from the flaçon than spray.

LaMyrrhe A gorgeous scent, but if not sprayed, it can be quite soapy.

I have recently purchased El Attarine, which i think would be a fantastic replacement for Musc Kublai Kahn for those who balk at the idea of paying for to smell of BO. Here, the BO scent is present but toned down and the flowers amped up, Sarrasins - *the most gorgeous jasmine/peony I've smelled fragrance that is not one bit cloying*.

Broadly, I like all the fragrances in the Muscs range - just looking for them to show up in the US.

My recs: Iris Silver Mist, Fille en Aiguilles*, Bois de Violette*, El Attarine, Sarrasins, Vitriol d'oiellet*, Gris Clair*, La Myrrhe, MKK*, Bois et Musc, Bois Oriental.

* available locally

If you go through my Serge rep Bryce, let me know. (PM me) He gives me samples to redistribute, as I've been doing. The more people that tell him I sent you, the more samples you'll get in your parcel from Bryce, and the more samples I'll get (maintain my addiction and) to redistribute. So double freebies: from me and from Bryce.

MBD
      Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 03-09-2012, 02:26 AM. Reason: engrish
      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Well done! You've picked up on most of my fav Lutens'...ISM, La Myrrhe, Sarrasins, El Attarine, etc.

I'm still not thrilled with most of the "export" line...aside from Bois de Violette (which is originally in the paris-only line) and I have a soft spot for Louve...because I think it smells like Dr. Pepper.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by olethomas View Post
          need to know if anyone of you have tried any of these from blood concept yet, i think it's supposed to be out by now.

http://www.bloodconcept.com/EN/fragrances.php
          If you want the killer blood note of all time, try Secretions Magnifiques from E'tat Orange Libre

MBD
          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• olethomas
            • Dec 2010

^ aaaa, yeah. found lots of interesting scents on that site. have you tried anything there on skin?

Comment

• ACM
              • Jan 2011

Recently, I've take to wearing frank olivier fragrances. I've found a few different scents at various fragrance shops around my area, and have really taken a liking to them. Very young and crisp feel to them

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by olethomas View Post
                ^ aaaa, yeah. found lots of interesting scents on that site. have you tried anything there on skin?
                Several of the Etat scents are excellent. The one MBD mentioned is fantastic...but a little off-putting to some (many).

Originally posted by acm100 View Post
                Recently, I've take to wearing frank olivier fragrances. I've found a few different scents at various fragrance shops around my area, and have really taken a liking to them. Very young and crisp feel to them
                I've never heard of Frank Olivier?

Comment

• ACM
                  • Jan 2011

It's a French based brand. Not very high priced at all, but I stumbled across it and it's all really wonderful! The scents last on your skin for such a long time without smelling overpowering from the beginning

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

This is not completely 'Men's Fragrances' but I thought the peeps in here would be able to help.

I'm trying to find an effective way to scent my wardrobe with a fragrance and realized that literally spraying them may not be the only (best) method. I discovered scented volcanic rocks recently and was wondering if anybody has used these before? I forgot the label name, but you essentially buy a top-up fragrance, spray the rocks, and let the rocks disseminate the scent. Does this work well? Is it better than candles, or is it just a 'cooler candle' with the same effect?

Comment

• copacetic
                      • Nov 2010

been working through a ton of samples lately...

one winner that's emerged is iskander edp by parfum d'empire. great initial buzz of citrus and something herbaceous, and underneath it all is the perfect dirty, animal musk base. it's strength is that it doesn't try to pack too many notes in at the same time. when everything blends together, i think that's when fragrances start smelling like stuff old men wear.

highly recommended.
                      And "When the prince has gathered about him
                      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
                        This is not completely 'Men's Fragrances' but I thought the peeps in here would be able to help.

I'm trying to find an effective way to scent my wardrobe with a fragrance and realized that literally spraying them may not be the only (best) method. I discovered scented volcanic rocks recently and was wondering if anybody has used these before? I forgot the label name, but you essentially buy a top-up fragrance, spray the rocks, and let the rocks disseminate the scent. Does this work well? Is it better than candles, or is it just a 'cooler candle' with the same effect?
                        I have some of these...they're glorified potpourri.

Comment

• kuugaia
                          • Feb 2010

Thanks anyway dude. :(

edit:

I found it if anybody was interested in having a look.

Mad et Len
                          Designer Apparel, Shoes & Accessories Store. Home to AOTC. Selling Style over Fashion since 1997. Born in Los Angeles as a Fashion Trendsetter to inspire clients, stylists, artists and celebrities all over the world. We deliver one of the best Personal Styling Experience in the industry.

Last edited by kuugaia; 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Halber Mensch
                            • Oct 2011

Thanks for sharing your thoughts in the Serge scents MBD. I recently found a local shop that carries some SL fragrances and started sampling them. The first one I tried was Muscs Kublai Khan.
                            Well...that was a somewhat harsh start, but Nuits de cellophane intrigued me enough to come back for some more. The only one I tried form your list so far is Serge Noir, but Fille en Aiguilles is pretty much on top of my to try list.
                            Yet I have to admit that while liking most of what I smelled so far, the well-known heaviness is a bit too much for me personally. That's why the only one I would wear regularly is L'eau Serge Lutens.

Comment

• radial
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post

Copy of Heian era incense clothing rack.

+++

The best way I've found for infusing clothing with scent.
                              Last edited by radial; 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• copacetic
                                • Nov 2010

you know, i've given de bachmakov the old college try, but every time, i get super linear freesia/iris that steamrolls the entire venture.

a few other things buzzing up top and beneath that note, but it's a total freesia cockblock.
                                And "When the prince has gathered about him
                                "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎