• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by birdytg View Post
    Would second this recommendation and would add:
    - Les Nombres d'Or "Cuir" by Mona di Orio:
    Opening with a whiff of Gauloise-like smoke it quickly becomes toasted spices and sweet absinthe before the appearance of the leather. Neatly straddling the line between biker and Birkin bag, the leather is almost carnal in its depth. In these days of anodyne scents and trans-fat free lives this is a welcome walk on the wild side that would be wonderful on a man. On a woman? Only one way to put it: Cuir is ruthlessly chic.

Cuir Notes:
    Cardamom, Absinth, Leather, Cade, Resinoid Opoponax, Castoreum
    Oh yes - forgot this one because I have so many samples at this point that I stepped on it and broke it. It is the smokiest dry leather that you can imagine. Jerky with Laphraoig. (I prefer the lush leathers.)

has anyone smelled the BK Amber Oud? I. must. try.
    MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Karura
      • Feb 2012

I really enjoy Bvlgari Black; however, it has dissapeared off the market, and the most recent one I received from Fragrance.net smells completely different (either reformulated or fake).

Does anyone have any knowledge of Byredo fragrances for men?

I'm thinking of picking up a Creed. I have samples of SMW and Aventus and can't decide between the two.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Karura View Post
        I really enjoy Bvlgari Black; however, it has dissapeared off the market, and the most recent one I received from Fragrance.net smells completely different (either reformulated or fake).

Does anyone have any knowledge of Byredo fragrances for men?

I'm thinking of picking up a Creed. I have samples of SMW and Aventus and can't decide between the two.
        That's strange...you can still buy Black here and it smells pretty much the same as always.

All the Byredo's are unisex imo...none are particularly feminine that I can think of. Having said that, they're all mediocre at best.

Creed is shit. All of it. No exceptions.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• birdytg
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
          Oh yes - forgot this one because I have so many samples at this point that I stepped on it and broke it. It is the smokiest dry leather that you can imagine. Jerky with Laphraoig. (I prefer the lush leathers.)

has anyone smelled the BK Amber Oud? I. must. try.
          MBD
          Yes I did, this is kinda smoked oud and vanilla...all good as many BK!
          By Killian recently became one of my favorite brands. The 4 Oud Arabian Nights are wonderful, my favorite being Rose Oud as I recently said. (such a beautiful rose, not at all as the usual very flower roses by other brands but much more of the turkish rose water in pastries or drinks). My next one will undoubtly be Incense Oud.
          L'Oeuvre Noire by By Killian includes some true beauties for many different feelings: for now I stay on "Love - Don't be shy" and "Back to Black".
          http://www.mypixeldiary.com
          http://www.birdytg.com
          www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
          http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• several_girls
            • Nov 2010

As mentioned earlier, I bought another round of samples. I tried these...

Durbano - Citrine
            Amouage - Jubilation XXV, Lyric for Men
            BLOOD Concept - AB, B
            By Killian - Cruel Intentions, Back to Black
            HEELEY - Cuir Plein Fleur
            Humieki & Graef - Geste, Askew, Multiple Rouge, Bosque
            CdG - 3, 71, 53, Avignon
            Tauer - Lonestar Memories, Vetiver Dance, Orange Star
            Knize - Ten
            Odin - Tanoke

I won't bore you with all my thoughts on them. Highlights:

Askew: Vodka, juniper and leather. A very cold and quiet scent, this is perfect to wear to work (or other less intimate occasions) for spring and summer.
            Jubilation XXV: Rich, vibrant, loud, warm; jubilation indeed! Dense and opulent.
            B: Along with AB, these really do smell like blood on the opening. The iron tang is strong but diminishes over time. The disintegration isn't lamentable, though. From blood it dries down into a mix of dark fruits, berries and pepper.
            Tanoke: Odin seems to have resolved whatever problems they had with longevity in their previous scents. This stuff is loud, clear and lasting. The redwood domineers, flanked by a ginger and orange spiciness.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'd just like to note that I love that synthetic hit CdG seems to have as something of a signature. Whenever I dab on 71 or 53, I take a deep, deep noseful of it and revel in the plastic. I just sigh and think to myself, "That's genius. Brilliant. Perfect." Overheating motherboard, melting ziploc bag, the adhesive diffused into the air when spooling out packing tape or cracking the lid from a can of polyeurathane wood finish. Not sure what it is exactly but it's such a fine counterpoint to all the scents built from or emulating natural ingredients.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dawn
              Stupid question, but I'm just wondering... I left one of my cologne in the car for like a week. I live in Canada and it's winter here and is pretty cold. Will that affect the smell much that I left it in the car for that long?

And my other question is has anyone tried the The Different Company Sublime Balkiss? I've got the De Bachmakov and I really love it, and am curious about this one.
              It should be fine.

Ballkiss smells like berries. Lulz.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Have you seen this, Dane?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

I have not. Looks interesting.

Comment

• lost53
                    • Dec 2010

Dane, tried Anvil#2, far better than#1 but not great especially for the $$.

Just picked up some samples by Francis Kurkdjian, seem quite interesting so far. Especially Apom...

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Well, it was worth a shot!

Kurkdijan has created a slew of great scents...he's one of the best perfumes in the world in my opinion, so I had hoped for something a bit more interesting in his own line, but they're far from bad. APOM is a nice orange blossom. I quite like the women's rose...I forget the name. The only real dud is the Aqua Universale...bad laundry detergent.

Comment

• lost53
                        • Dec 2010

always worth a punt! Thanks for the heads up.

Talking of women's also quite taken by a scent by "julie has a gun" - the oud one, lost the card but the name was something along those lines...

Comment

• Karura
                          • Feb 2012

Dane: I can never find Bvl Black at the airport or department stores anymore. Have you ever tried VC&A's midnight in paris? I'm thinking of picking that up as my signature scent, since I sprayed some Bvl Black on my brother to see if my bottle was bad and still love it!

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
                            always worth a punt! Thanks for the heads up.

Talking of women's also quite taken by a scent by "julie has a gun" - the oud one, lost the card but the name was something along those lines...
                            Juliette has a Gun...ive heard the oud is good.

Originally posted by Karura View Post
                            Dane: I can never find Bvl Black at the airport or department stores anymore. Have you ever tried VC&A's midnight in paris? I'm thinking of picking that up as my signature scent, since I sprayed some Bvl Black on my brother to see if my bottle was bad and still love it!
                            black just doesnt fit the market right now, so they hide it. Stupid, but true.

Midnight in Paris is nice...a bit quiet for me, but well done.

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                              CdG - 3, 71, 53, Avignon

[...]

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'd just like to note that I love that synthetic hit CdG seems to have as something of a signature. Whenever I dab on 71 or 53, I take a deep, deep noseful of it and revel in the plastic. I just sigh and think to myself, "That's genius. Brilliant. Perfect." Overheating motherboard, melting ziploc bag, the adhesive diffused into the air when spooling out packing tape or cracking the lid from a can of polyeurathane wood finish. Not sure what it is exactly but it's such a fine counterpoint to all the scents built from or emulating natural ingredients.
                              I'm sure you're already familiar with 2 and its delicious BIC rollerpen notes. Kyoto is really killer too, made from distilled ninja sweat. I heard Avignon is made from fragrant cysts scraped off the feet of the Pope.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                                I'm sure you're already familiar with 2 and its delicious BIC rollerpen notes. Kyoto is really killer too, made from distilled ninja sweat. I heard Avignon is made from fragrant cysts scraped off the feet of the Pope.
                                I believe the cysts are excised, the drippings are collected, and matured in agarwood barrels before being filtered through unicorn pubes hand-woven by leprechauns.

All-in-all, not bad for $75.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎