Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lost53
    • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Dane;358114]Juliette has a Gun...ive heard the oud is good.

Thats the one

It's lovely... really one of the nicest scents I have come across lately, to bad my GF didn't agree.

Comment

• aussy
      • Jul 2011

Sampled a bunch:

L'Artisan Dzongkha - started off a bit vegetal, like cut grass, but then shifted into an Asian tea scent, some faint notes of smoke, I liked it! pretty dry smelling to me without any apparent sweetness

L'Artisan Timbuktu - Vetiver + incense + a dash of Duchafour's spiced dark fruityness, really picked up on the vetiver but the other notes balanced it out, kept it from becoming heavy and cloying as I found encre noire

L'Artisan Dzing! - Faintest whiff of musk at first then shifted to hay and candy

Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles - lush and dark sweetness, hint of pine, reminded me of kyoto a bit but less ethereal, plan on revisiting this next

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan - straight animal musk without the powder, warms up a bit on the dry down but wish it stayed as raunchy as its opening

Serge Lutens Serge Noir - I got amber some tobacco? and typical wood fair, a nice balanced scent but a bit too generic for my tastes

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by aussy View Post
        Serge Lutens Serge Noir - I got amber some tobacco? and typical wood fair, a nice balanced scent but a bit too generic for my tastes
        Clove clove clove. *gag*

Very apt reviews...Dzonkha has actually changed a bit recently, adding more iris to the topnote, which is probably the vegetal note you were smelling (think turnips, etc.) I actually prefer the current formulation. Great stuff.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• nahneun
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
          Juliette has a Gun...ive heard the oud is good.

black just doesnt fit the market right now, so they hide it. Stupid, but true.

Midnight in Paris is nice...a bit quiet for me, but well done.
          Hey Dane,

Why do you say black doesn't fit the market right now? I'm not that well versed in fragrances

Comment

• Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by nahneun View Post
            Hey Dane,

Why do you say black doesn't fit the market right now? I'm not that well versed in fragrances
            It's actually good...it's interesting, has depth, structure, diffusion. Everything popular and selling well right now is shit (generalizing of course).
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• aussy
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
              Clove clove clove. *gag*

Very apt reviews...Dzonkha has actually changed a bit recently, adding more iris to the topnote, which is probably the vegetal note you were smelling (think turnips, etc.) I actually prefer the current formulation. Great stuff.
              Thanks! Pretty new to fragrances, just discovering how similar many of them are (always wondered why reviews would draw comparisons almost incessantly)

HM, maybe that was the warmth I picked up on. I'll sniff it out next time. Clove, especially in cooking, can be a bit grating, so I understand your reaction.

Mmm, iris turnip. Who knew I'd be into floral notes? I thought I'd be drawn to dark, vetiver heavy scents, but every one I've tried has felt unnatural on me. Now I just need to find a smokey iris.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Thanks! Pretty new to fragrances, just discovering how similar many of them are (always wondered why reviews would draw comparisons almost incessantly)

HM, maybe that was the warmth I picked up on. I'll sniff it out next time. Clove, especially in cooking, can be a bit grating, so I understand your reaction.

Mmm, iris turnip. Who knew I'd be into floral notes? I thought I'd be drawn to dark, vetiver heavy scents, but every one I've tried has felt unnatural on me. Now I just need to find a smokey iris.
                The iris used in perfume is actually the root of the plant, so it's often confused as a floral, when really it's not miles off from vetiver and the like. Occasionally you'll see scents that are labeled as iris but smell mostly floral, and those are only interpretations rather than actually containing any actual iris (Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile, Hermes Iris Yukiyoe, etc.)

Iris was traditionally very expensive and rare in fragrance because the maturation process took years to complete, making the extract (or butter) cost tens of thousands per kilo. A brilliant company recently figured out how to speed this process up, so you smell it a lot more now (Dior Homme, Prada, etc.) but it's usually only a topnote now. The real stuff is only used by the likes of Guerlain and Chanel.

Anyway, other great irises if you're interested - Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist (only available in Paris) is cold and rooty and beautiful. Chanel's 28 La Pausa is a more powdery, feminine take (yet still perfectly fine on a guy). Pretty much everything else just contains an iris note...like Divine's L'Homme de Coeur and Dzonkha.

Chanel's "Exclusive" line is a great intro to iris, because they use it often - No. 18 is a rose-iris-ambrette (vegetal musk); 28 mentioned above; and Cuir de Russie has a ton of it.

Comment

• several_girls
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                  I'm sure you're already familiar with 2 and its delicious BIC rollerpen notes. Kyoto is really killer too, made from distilled ninja sweat. I heard Avignon is made from fragrant cysts scraped off the feet of the Pope.
                  My thoughts on Avignon is that whatever it is trying to do, Black Tourmaline does better.

Comment

• aussy
                    • Jul 2011

Thanks for the info and recommendations, Dane! Saved me from going down a potentially dangerous path. Would the similarities between Fille en Aiguilles and Cruel Intentions be 'balsam' and vetiver? I enjoyed them both and found them to be near the same in their dark, sweet base. Trying to hone in on my preferences.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Thanks for the info and recommendations, Dane! Saved me from going down a potentially dangerous path. Would the similarities between Fille en Aiguilles and Cruel Intentions be 'balsam' and vetiver? I enjoyed them both and found them to be near the same in their dark, sweet base. Trying to hone in on my preferences.
                      balsam would be a good guess...CI smelled more generically woody to me, while FeA focused more on the pine.

Comment

• aussy
                        • Jul 2011

Wish I got more pine. Those notes lasted less than a minute on my skin

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Wish I got more pine. Those notes lasted less than a minute on my skin
                          I've read that the latest Lutens, Eau Froide is mega-pine-city. There are a lot of incense scents that have that coniferous aspect. L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer comes to mind.

Comment

• Patroklus
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                            My thoughts on Avignon is that whatever it is trying to do, Black Tourmaline does better.
                            haven't smelled that one yet, but i know a lot of fragrances that share almost every note with this or that CdG fragrance but they're still completely different in terms of direction and execution.

lol
                            Last edited by Patroklus; 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• pretenditsokay
                              • Dec 2009

Azzaro Chrome !

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by pretenditsokay View Post
                                Azzaro Chrome !
                                I will tell you this publicly, since you haven't even learned how the PM system works. I, and others, do not appreciate banal one-liners here. Fair warning. If you have nothing to say, don't say anything.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎