Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdytg
    • Feb 2010

On last Saturday , I went to Palais Royal to buy a new Serge Lutens fragrance to add to my "collection": Vetiver Oriental
    On the SL windows was a very nice and elegant display for "L'Eau Froide" by SL.
    Even if I published this picture into the SZ bulletin Board, I thought this picture has also its natural place into this thread...
    Display and light blue light resumes the idea of the fragrance: light, acquatic & cold

http://www.mypixeldiary.com
    http://www.birdytg.com
    www.birdytg.blogspot.fr
    http://www.facebook.com/birdy.tg
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mypixeldiary

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by morsto View Post
      I think generally the diptyque scents are very nice, although I find most of them to be quite feminine. What do you think of them, Dane? (excuse me if you've answered this before)
      I find the opposite...that most of them lean more toward the masculine. Either way, they're all very nice, if not a tad linear for my taste. Good smells don't necessarily make good perfumes.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Can I just say that scented candles are the biggest fraud perpetrated on consumer culture? Thank you for listening.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

I've still been looking for good ways to fragrant my living space. For now I buy affordable incense from a local Chinese market, but with the exception of SANDALWOOD there is just nothing appealing. I'm tempted to buy into a CdG candle.

Comment

• several_girls
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
            I've still been looking for good ways to fragrant my living space. For now I buy affordable incense from a local Chinese market, but with the exception of SANDALWOOD there is just nothing appealing. I'm tempted to buy into a CdG candle.
            I've been burning a CdG 2 candle, it actually smells pretty nice while it's lit, granted my bedroom is small. There's also a spiritus sancti room spray. Haven't tried it, but I intend to soon.

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
              There are a lot of room sprays that are pretty potent and not very expensive. Just seem to be watered down scents. I know there weren't very many fans of I hate Perfume in terms of a body scent but the room sprays are actually very potent and last a long time.

I picked one up on ebay, paid next to nothing for it and it's lasted for months and months. Subtle enough to refer to as a room spray but potent enough to linger around for a while. Also, if you want something more of a novelty, the Demeter line has a room spray too that you can find inexpensively online. I happen to like a few of their scents that probably work better as a room spray than a cologne anyway.

Again, cheap but still pretty potent and lots of varieties.

I'm not super picky about what I spray on my body and clothes but I'm even less picky about room spray and home scents. I can't imagine spending upwards of $50 on a candle.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• t-bone
                • Dec 2009

I bought a box of the CdG Avignon incense sticks in HK that I'm into, but my standby is the Jinkoh incense from Muji. Not that we don't also have a bunch of candles in my house too... most recently burning the Diptyque Patchouli and Rose at the same time. Love their Feu de Bois too.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

I'm also a fan of Diptyque's Rose candle. The Baies candle is also very nice, reminiscent of their L'Ombre dans l'Eau fragrance. I haven't sampled a whole lot of home fragrances, but I like the Diptyque candles very much.

Comment

• Halber Mensch
                    • Oct 2011

I use natural essential oils and put some drops on a desert rose. They are very efficient and available in a huge variety.You also have the possibility to play around with your own combinations, which is a lot of fun.
                    It is important though to get some quality products, which are really 100% natural, not some synthetic stuff.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

I'm not a big candle person, but I do have a few that were significantly marked down. I doubt I'll ever buy a $70 candle, but I can live with $25.

A decent candle shouldn't even have to be burned to scent the room (albeit lightly). L'Artisan Parfumeur make nice candles...as do Mizensir, which are all created by Alberto Morillas (he of CKOne, Mugler Cologne, Acqua di Gio, Pi, Kenzo Flower, Tommy, M7, etc. fame). They're pricey, but the most creative and best quality I've smelled.

Getting back to Diptyque...most of their scents were either candles first, or thereafter, and rightly so - they make terrific, technical room scents, meaning, they smell the same when you first spray them on as they do several hours later. My issue with this is that you're stuck with the same scent all day long, as opposed to the scent evolving. And frankly, sometimes I like the smell of a room-fragrance (hay is a favourite), but it's not something I personally want to smell of.
                      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

What do you think of Mad et Len, Dane? I feel like we've had this conversation before...
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Supel
                          • Apr 2011

It may already be in here but there is a store called "I Hate Perfume" located in Williamsburg off a street near Kent Ave (May also have other stores). They can usually find a specific scent you are after just by describing it to them, i.e. Alter boy or blossom in Japan. Highly recommended place

Comment

• Supel
                            • Apr 2011

^ Another worth mentioning is 'Kilian'. A small range of unisex fragrances (oil based). A little on the pricey side but well worth the $$$ for the distinct scent they have to offer. Apologise for the re-post.

Comment

• syed
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Halber Mensch View Post
                              I've just discovered that CdG is launching three new fragrances under their Play Label.

Well, the black and the green one sound interesting to me.
                              They all smell nice enough, but they felt a bit...safe. I'm so used to CdG scents taking me somewhere I never expected at first smell. I thought these were cleverly combined, but still not that interesting. I suppose that is part of the Play package though - quirky, but not too out there.

Don't remember if I reported back on L'Air de Rien, but it smelt really nice on my skin. I was expecting in your face skank, but it was actually quite warm and sweet. Rather comforting actually.

And I'm still not sure about Molecule 01, although I think I may just get a homebrew version for playing around with. I sprayed it on my arm and immediately got a slightly peppery wood that warmed up after a few minutes and remained the same thereafter. I could smell it throughout the day. In comparison, my brother could barely smell it when I first sprayed it, and he couldn't smell it at all after a few hours. I stuck my arm in my sister's face in the evening and she said it was like a nicer version of my "natural smell".

On the incense/candle front, I'm definitely an incense man. I really like the multi-pack Muji incense for general use. That being said, I'm still trying to find my perfect amber candle. Either I find a really soapy amber, or something far too sharp
                              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• theetruscan
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Supel View Post
                                ^ Another worth mentioning is 'Kilian'. A small range of unisex fragrances (oil based). A little on the pricey side but well worth the $$$ for the distinct scent they have to offer. Apologise for the re-post.
                                I've been very underwhelmed by "By Kilian." I thought they were overly precious, rather pedestrian scents sold for a king's ransom in fancy packaging. Which of their scents do you find interesting/different than much else out there?
                                Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎