X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoubelleMaBelle
    • Feb 2012

looking for baby's first fragrance

something morbid & animalistic yet not overpowering.

so far there's mbd's good word with opus v but any others would be much appreciated. & if it makes a difference i'm in ny for now and can visit barney's...
    Last edited by PoubelleMaBelle; 07-12-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post
      looking for baby's first fragrance

something morbid & animalistic yet not overpowering.

so far there's mbd's good word with opus v but any others would be much appreciated. & if it makes a difference i'm in ny for now and can visit barney's...
      I have no idea what "baby" refers to...are we speaking literally?

Either way, stuff at barneys to try:
      -Une Fleur de Cassie (Frederic Malle). Relatively subtle (as long as you go easy on it)....dark, dusty, half-wilted flowers with a hint of rotting fruit. Smells like something beautiful in decay.
      -Musc Koublai Khan (Serge Lutens). Self-explanatory.
      -Cuir Plein Fleur (Heeley). Mimosa/leather...dark, but subtle.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

CDG has a new fragrance: Amazing Green. Sounds interesting, though the few reviews I've found aren't so promising. Anyone try it yet?

Here's the description from luckyscent:
        "In an interview to a French magazine, the perfumer Jean-Christophe Hérault admitted to a twin obsession with the sap-filled scent of lentiscus and the smell of freshly renovated old houses. Somehow this blend of green and mineral must have inspired Amazingreen. Or did he take his cue from the flintand smoke facets of vetiver?

This “blast of green energy” from Comme des Garçons starts out cool as a tropical shower from bouncing shiny leaves the size of umbrellas. Moves on to a slightly sulfurous “gunpowder accord” (think of how the air smells after fireworks) as guerillas skulk through the undergrowth. Is that something burning? The ice-cold sear of green pepper on the tongue, the wisps of smoke of a campfire in a secret clearing…

Tough and lush, exuberant but slightly dangerous, the vegetal and mineral elements unfurl their various facets side by side. Trouble’s clearly brewing in the jungle."
        music

Comment

• jogu
          • Jun 2009

ya i hate it . hmm maybe not hate but i dont like it much . it smells pleasant but very very verrrry generic . if someone who wore it walked past u i doubt youd even bother to turn around to look . it smells like some regular dept store perfume , pleasant but theres nothin in it that makes it stand out at all . dont let the gunpowder smell trick u into thinkin its gonna make it somethin crazy and weird and intresting becos in this perfume it doesnt do any of that . ya i smell it mixed w/ the greens but its not that good and i kno the smell of recently discharged firearms well . tbh if i had to describe amazingreen as a color id say its alot more blue than green . its kinda watery in a way and i wouldnt even consider this lush or tough , its light and mild to medium leafy ( but not leafy green like series 1 ) and sweet in a non sugar but lil more floral way , sweet like some generic clinique or estee lauder way

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Aww, that's too bad. Just yesterday I was in a store smelling a candle labeled "flint" and it smelled so good it got me excited for this fragrance. But yea, you're thoughts are in line with other reviews that said it's very mainstream smelling and the flint/smoke is too subtle to add much interest.
            music

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

i been bored of everythin i have lately and have been wantin to get somethin new but i oculdnt think of anythin i wanted . was diggin thru this big box of sample vials and i saw one filled w/ blue liquid so i popped the cap off and instantly recognized it as angel men . ohhhhh god i forgot how much i loved it . that opening tar note thats real harsh w/ sharp jagged teeth like a beartrap snappin shut , on top of the heavy and sweet chocolate and coffee and lavender . i understand how lots of ppl are turned off by that opening but i wish it lasted longer then 15 mins or so . like if i spray it before i get dressed , by the time i put on my shoes and am out the door to catch the bus i alrdy smell that awesome tar like a grenade in the mouth has died down a bit . has anyone tried the newer limited ed angel men w/ the chili pepper paste ? am curious to see what thats like

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                i been bored of everythin i have lately and have been wantin to get somethin new but i oculdnt think of anythin i wanted . was diggin thru this big box of sample vials and i saw one filled w/ blue liquid so i popped the cap off and instantly recognized it as angel men . ohhhhh god i forgot how much i loved it . that opening tar note thats real harsh w/ sharp jagged teeth like a beartrap snappin shut , on top of the heavy and sweet chocolate and coffee and lavender . i understand how lots of ppl are turned off by that opening but i wish it lasted longer then 15 mins or so . like if i spray it before i get dressed , by the time i put on my shoes and am out the door to catch the bus i alrdy smell that awesome tar like a grenade in the mouth has died down a bit . has anyone tried the newer limited ed angel men w/ the chili pepper paste ? am curious to see what thats like
                The chili version is excellent...as was the malt version (and to a slightly lesser extent, the coffee version). I know Mugler's scents won't get much regard on this forum, but frankly, almost all of them are top notch and the inspiration for much of what is held in high regard on sz and elsewhere (Lutens's Borneo, for example, is basically the drydown of Angel, as is its successor, Coromandel by Chanel).

This is a long shot, but Womanity, which is itself interesting, but unwearable, has a flanker in the "Taste Of..." collection that is worth trying (if you can get past the name/bottle). Rather masculine considering the aim they were going for. The concept of this was a strange new molecule replicating caviar, which I find very interesting. Salty, but with caviar's strange buttery facets. The Taste Of... rendition adds some eastern spices and an emphasis on the original's fig note, all while making it less repulsively-beautiful.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• davidafterlife
                  • Dec 2011

my favorites at the moment.

signature scent: Prada Amber Pour Homme complex long-lasting sqeaky clean

other top wears for Spring/Summer:

Prada Amber Pour Homme
                  Marc Jacobs for Men
                  Diptyque Philosykos
                  Bond No. 9 Chinatown
                  Bond No. 9 Highline
                  CK One Scene
                  Hanae Mori Men
                  Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L'Homme La Parfum
                  Prada Infusion d'Homme

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Anyone have an opinion on CDG Sherbet Peppermint?

After smelling the new CDG Play Green, I've been stuck on the idea of having a mint based scent for summer. The $100 price tag though is a bit off putting for something that's not really a stand out among the CDG line that I will probably only use in the summer time. I just discovered there's a spearmint scent released in the much cheaper Sherbet line and it seems to have good reviews. Has anyone compared this with Play Green?
                    Last edited by casem; 08-02-2012, 03:25 AM.
                    music

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                      Anyone have an opinion on CDG Sherbet Peppermint?

After smelling the new CDG Play Green, I've been stuck on the idea of having a mint based scent for summer. The $100 price tag though is a bit off putting for something that's not really a stand out among the CDG line that I will probably only use in the summer time. I just discovered there's a spearmint scent released in the much cheaper Sherbet line and it seems to have good reviews. Has anyone compared this with Play Green?
                      Peppermint is a decent scent...doesn't compare to their original "Mint" that was d/c'd, but it's still good. I like the fact that they packaged/priced this series a bit lower, so that's a plus if you only plan on wearing during the hotter months.

Other decent mints - Herba Fresca from Guerlain (this is quite good and fairly inexpensive); Mint from Heeley (pricey, you'd have to love mint). If you also like patchouli, Mugler's Ice*Men is nice.

Comment

• davidafterlife
                        • Dec 2011

for anyone who is looking to find indie and niche scents this is place is great for try before you buy!

check it out.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by davidafterlife View Post
                          http://theperfumedcourt.com

for anyone who is looking to find indie and niche scents this is place is great for try before you buy!

check it out.
                          The 3 ladies who ran this company together have recently disbanded, so I have a feeling the lady who remains running the site has fewer options than previously...but still worth looking. The other 2 formed another site I believe, but I do not know the name.

Another alternative:

Comment

• davidafterlife
                            • Dec 2011

thanks Dane for updating me on that, didn't know they disbanded. ran across the poshpeasant.com, but haven't checked it out yet.

any SZ members on Fragrantica.com? I think this spot is a bit more informative and useful than Basenotes. (IMO)

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by davidafterlife View Post
                              thanks Dane for updating me on that, didn't know they disbanded. ran across the poshpeasant.com, but haven't checked it out yet.

any SZ members on Fragrantica.com? I think this spot is a bit more informative and useful than Basenotes. (IMO)
                              I prefer Fragrantica's database to BN's...but the conversations are almost unreadable. I try my best not to be a snob (I know...), but the eurotrash bodyspray talk is too much for me....not that the conversation on Basenotes is much better. Frankly, I'm just old and bitter and can't take perfume forums anymore.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by profondo nero
                                Try Burning barbershop by D.S. & Durga, other worth mentioning are Fumidus by Profumum, Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume, Fireside Intense by Sonoma Scent Studio and my personal favourite Tourmaline Noire by Olivier Durbano.
                                You've posted twice and I already dislike you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎