• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivans On High
    Banned
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
    Bingo. You'd be surprised how many items are arbitraged, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You should take advantage of your situation (the city you're in). A popular Australian brand was having a massive clearance where cocktail dresses were going for $20, down from $200+. My girlfriend bought 8 of them and sold them online.

Store cleared stock. She earned money. Overseas buyers got dresses cheap. Everybody's happy. Let's move on from this intense discussion
    And 8 girls at the sale missed out on dresses at $20... can't say I agree with this practice.

Not disclosing the purchase price of one of your items in a sale thread is, however, different and by no means required. OK, sorry to digress.

Comment

• snake
      • Nov 2009

dolochov - reliable seller, very responsive.

Comment

• DRRRK
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Ivans On High View Post
        And 8 girls at the sale missed out on dresses at $20... can't say I agree with this practice.

Not disclosing the purchase price of one of your items in a sale thread is, however, different and by no means required. OK, sorry to digress.
        Ivans, I agree with you, but the fact that the shop allowed one person to buy 8 dresses is strange already because it is pretty obvious that the buyer will sell them again. Maybe they wanted to get rid of the dresses no matter how. That would jusitify making a profit on the back of others. I'd never do it though.

My conscience will prevent me from selling items for more than I bought them for. Call me stupid, I just can't see why something can be worth more just because I have owned or worn it.

Comment

• Chant
          Banned
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Christian View Post
          Saw the delivery guy smoking in the van.
          Since this remark has been misunderstood, I'd like to explain the joke.
          My intention was NOT to undermine Maldoror's reputation, but to say that if the jacket was smelly, then it could only have been the fault of the delivery guy from UPS, DHL, FedEx or whatever company, who had most probably been smoking in the van during the route.

Let's say that I shouldn't make any joke in this so touchy thread.

EDIT : just received a PM from the delivery guy's chief, saying that their company DO NOT allow the drivers to smoke during the route.
          Ok : My intention was NOT to undermine the delivery guy's reputation, etc.
          Last edited by Chant; 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• klue
            • Apr 2009

Arthur (awlouie) - one of the easiest transactions I've had yet. Thanks again man!

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Got my delivery from Canaduh0415 today (first few bits of Yohji for me), as always in good condition and as described, etc etc. It did take 5+ weeks, but then again it went to Ukraine and back to LA and then here, so all in all, speedy.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by DRRRK View Post
                Ivans, I agree with you, but the fact that the shop allowed one person to buy 8 dresses is strange already because it is pretty obvious that the buyer will sell them again. Maybe they wanted to get rid of the dresses no matter how. That would jusitify making a profit on the back of others. I'd never do it though.

My conscience will prevent me from selling items for more than I bought them for. Call me stupid, I just can't see why something can be worth more just because I have owned or worn it.
                8 people missed out on dresses at $20 true. But 8 people around the world missed out on a dress full stop. At the very least, those 8 dresses could have been bought by the people in this city before the sale, as it is an Australian designer. They just chose not to.

DRRRK are you saying that if you owned an article of clothing that people highly sought after that you wanted to sell, you would not sell it at a higher price than what you bought it for? Even if they are willing to pay the higher price? Somebody gifting you a shirt means you didn't pay anything, does that mean you cannot sell it at all (last example is a bit extreme :P, but how much would you price it if you were to sell)?

added: What I'm trying to say is, I think its a matter of getting items to people who have no other means of getting it at a certain price. Though it looks bad because it's benefiting on the back of others like you said. But it's just a different perspective on proxys who benefit on being at the right location with the right means of getting items that other people around the world want. All they did was buy the item and sell it to you at a higher price. Isn't that the 'same' as arbitrage?
                Last edited by kuugaia; 02-15-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• DRRRK
                  • Aug 2009

And the people in the city couldn't buy them for 20 dollars because they were bought by one person to make profit.

And yes, I am saying that. I regard buyers here more as like-minded friends than as business partners and want to be treated like that when I buy something.

It does not only look bad. My moral standards would not allow this behaviour. A proxy service is not the same. Proxies get paid for their service alone, they don't raise the price of an item. I doubt that your girlfriend sold the dresses for 20 dollars + 7% proxy service.
                  Last edited by DRRRK; 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: edited post above

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

I'm getting this impression you believe making profit is a bad thing or something?

I wasn't particularly referring to this forum's community, was more talking in general. I'm sure I've purchased an item online before due to 'one person trying to make profit' by purchasing stuff in their city to sell online. It's just the way the economy works. Let's just end this discussion here since it's not really the right place.

edited: Nope your right, she didn't raise the price to a %. She let the buyer decide how much they wanted to pay for it, and they bought it at the price they were comfortable with? Is that wrong? Auction? Keeping in mind the prices that they sold for were still 50% off RRP, not that it's relevant.

Comment

• DRRRK
                      • Aug 2009

Your impression is wrong. It depends on the situation. Profit is always related to another person's loss. Win/win situations are great but rare.

Comment

• kuugaia
                        • Feb 2010

...You can't be serious here? Wow.

It's obvious fashion designers earn PROFIT from the money we spend on their clothes. Are we getting a loss? No. We're gaining in a completely different aspect which is what I'm trying to explain to you. It's not about the amount of money earned, but about what each party BENEFITS from the transaction. Let's just stop this, it really is going nowhere when you simply say 'your impression is wrong'.

Comment

• DRRRK
                          • Aug 2009

Just TRY to understand what I've already written. I was talking about private sales, where an item is sold for a higher price than it was purchased for. That's the topic, isn't it?

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

There's a problem with selling an item for a higher price than what it was paid for? :\

I must be all messed up. I thought that's what everybody does

Comment

• DRRRK
                              • Aug 2009

If you manage to avoid reading "private sales" contrary to shop sales you've got a serious problem.
                              So you are saying, when you've reached 100 posts, that everything you want to sell here will be offered for more than you paid for? Good to know.

Comment

• kuugaia
                                • Feb 2010

I hope you realize we're talking about goods that are brand new.

Would you prefer me to buy brand new goods and sell it to you lower than what I paid? I really don't get how this works. Is that what people with lots of morals do?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎