• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Oh weh mir View Post
    I think it's a little different, seeing as it's number (n)ine's swan song. Although miyashita's done similar graphic tees numerous times in the past, it feels fitting here. With jun, who's entire collection revolves around a the unknown pleasures graphic, it feels needless and repetitive. However, with n(n)'s final collection the theme is very different, and the unifying concept for his work has always been rock music. Given the circumstances I think that the image of one his fallen idols has more meaning behind it than undercover or raf using 'joy division' as theme of some sort. I also see a closed feeling as being more of a fan service, culling all sorts of imagery from previous collections and is more self aware than this fall's undercover stuff.

I'd also like to say that I don't see the undercover pieces as having anything to do with joy division in terms of mood or atmosphere, and seems more to do with the graphic itself. The only real homage I see is the a reference to 'transmission' with the static knits, but I could be wrong.

I feel like maybe this post would have been more fitting for the undercover or n(n) thread... This is far too heavy of shit to be discussed here.
    Why is Cobain a fallen idol for NN and Joy Division is just a theme for Raf and Jun?
    Last edited by Faust; 10-29-2009, 06:25 PM.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• genevieveryoko
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by beardown View Post
      Peter Saville harnessed the image (and very well) to convey a particular mood set by an album. THIRTY years ago.
      There.
      It's done. It's 'designed,' so to speak. Finished....

...I don't care how acceptable pop culture or consumerism makes it, taking an image that's already called and adding some text to it isn't 'designing.' I expect Urban Outfitters to do shit like this.
      They have a proven track record of stealing images from smaller agencies and clothing companies and literally stealing money out of these designer's pockets. They're in business to make money and to lead hipsters by the bit selling mass produced t-shirts by the shit ton.
      Exactly - it seems much more respectable to print the original image onto a patch and sew it onto whatever garment you wish - acknowledging that the image is what it is independent of the garment and the designer of the garment. That's honest in my opinion, and DIY - easy and fun - no need to go to UO or Barneys for that matter and empty your wallet just cause you like Joy Division.
      http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• vois
        • Nov 2007

maybe they made a bet to compete who creates the best work out of already fallen iconic design.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Why is Cobain a fallen idol for NN and Joy Division is just a theme for Raf and Jun?
          I don't think I said that exactly.

If undercover's collection was not joy division related, and they had a single t-shirt with a picture of ian curtis, wouldn't you view it differently than if number nine did a nirvana theme collection where nearly every garment somehow managed to incorporated the cover of a nirvana album?

I don't know, I can't pretend to understand what the hell I was trying to say yesterday, but I stand by it and encourage everyone else to do the same. Going to get coffee, I will be back when this post is forgotten and I can pride myself on my ability to reason again.
          Originally posted by AVALANCHE
          is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Oh weh mir
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by vois View Post
            maybe they made a bet to compete who creates the best work out of already fallen iconic design.
            raf by raf simons.
            Originally posted by AVALANCHE
            is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nikov View Post
              Reminds me of that silly nom de guerre hoodie a few years back that people went crazy for simply because it said nom de guerre in arabic script.
              so that's what the arabic text was saying. i always did wonder about this one.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I don't think I said that exactly.

If undercover's collection was not joy division related, and they had a single t-shirt with a picture of ian curtis, wouldn't you view it differently than if number nine did a nirvana theme collection where nearly every garment somehow managed to incorporated the cover of a nirvana album?

I don't know, I can't pretend to understand what the hell I was trying to say yesterday, but I stand by it and encourage everyone else to do the same. Going to get coffee, I will be back when this post is forgotten and I can pride myself on my ability to reason again.
                I suppose. I'm not sure. Technically, neither the Raf Simons nor the Undercover collections are "Joy Division" collections. Raf Simons tried to capture a period of time in music - there was Bauhaus logo there too, for example and one from Still (the Joy Division album after Curtis died, as Pnuts informed me). With Jun - he is a fan of Joy Division, but I think he's just enamored with the graphic itself. The collection is mostly about tech fabrics working together with traditional fabrics - he just decided that he wanted to reinterpret that particular graphic.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

passed by Dior Homme on Canton Road today...whereas the grand, spacious window display once featured that season's iconic one or two-off sequined showpiece dinner jacket, now the highlight of the day seems to be a black puffer jacket.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• DRRRK
                    • Aug 2009

raf by raf simons.
                    The perfect end for this interesting discussion which I missed unfortunately. Beardown has already said it all anyway.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

cross posted by request.

homelessnessforthehome

now you too can capture the exhilaration of sleeping under a bridge in the safety and comfort of your own HOME...
                      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

haha, awesome.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Seventh
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post

Sorry, guys. That's not 'designing.' At best, it's sampling and desktop publishing. At worst, it's straight up thievery and ego masturbation to include your name on an iconic image that actually stood for something of excellence at one point.
                          Nice post Beardown. It makes me wonder what do you think of Ann D's use of imagery, particularly Julia Margaret Cameron (whose work is iconic and because the work was done in the late 19th century, her estate has probably has no rights on the usage of her work)? The Kara Walker designs might be thought of as a collaboration, but the Dada lifted heavily (and directly) from original prints.

It is a grey area for me. I am sure Ann D did it with the best intentions and obviously it is different then a Colbain t-shirt by Urban Outfitters, but it changes the context of how the art work is seen. And in the case with Cameron and Dada the original artists are not around to approve how their work is being used.

Comment

• ES3K
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                            cross posted by request.

homelessnessforthehome

now you too can capture the exhilaration of sleeping under a bridge in the safety and comfort of your own HOME...
                            Where can I but this?

Comment

• lotek01
                              • Aug 2009

man, wait till they discover bling povera.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎