• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Seventh View Post
    Nice post Beardown. It makes me wonder what do you think of Ann D's use of imagery, particularly Julia Margaret Cameron (whose work is iconic and because the work was done in the late 19th century, her estate has probably has no rights on the usage of her work)? The Kara Walker designs might be thought of as a collaboration, but the Dada lifted heavily (and directly) from original prints.

It is a grey area for me. I am sure Ann D did it with the best intentions and obviously it is different then a Colbain t-shirt by Urban Outfitters, but it changes the context of how the art work is seen. And in the case with Cameron and Dada the original artists are not around to approve how their work is being used.
    I can tell you exactly what Ann was thinking, you don't have to guess.

First, like with Jun and Raf, she wants to share with the world the kind of art that inspires her. Let's face it - none of the images she has put on her clothes are even remotely close to the iconic status of that Peter Saville graphic. Outside of a narrow circle (taken in a large context) of people who know art, these are unfamiliar. I did not know who Juliette Margaret Cameron was until I saw it on Ann's clothes. Same goes for Jim Dine. I bet you 80% of the people on this board are the same way.

Second, as you have guessed yourself already, she does want you to see art in a different context. You put the art on your body, instead of hanging it on the wall. Those were her exact words. With Jim Dine, it was a collaboration - she invited him over to Antwerp and they worked together. With Kara Walker, she went beyond the tshirts - which would be commandable by Beardown's criteria.

The DaDa collection was a bit different - that was a story she imagined about what the dadaists would look if they went on vacation. Except the Dada tshirt, the rest of the collection was quite abstract. I am sure you don't think that dadaists have monopoly on colorblocks or that Mondrian has monopoly on prime colors. :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
      Where can I but this?
      dutchbydesign

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• dndy1840
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
        cross posted by request.

homelessnessforthehome

now you too can capture the exhilaration of sleeping under a bridge in the safety and comfort of your own HOME...
        Aha thanks

This really is a WTF. I wonder what the so called "designers" were thinking. Cosy bourgeois love to consider themselves as bums on the inside ? Live like a bum in silk sheets ?

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

this seems to be the concept:

The Home Duvet lets you sleep under a cardboard box so a homeless person doesn't have to!

30% of the gross profits go to Centrepoint, the UK charity for homeless young people aged 16-25 (charity number 292411). Every night Centrepoint provides support and housing for 800 vulnerable homeless young people
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

i haven't checked out the actual link, but based on what I see from Mike's quote that actually sounds like a wonderfully wacky angle.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

no way they could do this without a portion of proceeds going to charity.

otherwise: angry mobs with torches. probably.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

either way it sounds like one of those things that the masterminds KNEW it was gonna be a stroke of genius smash hit when they released it but it'll amount to nothing anyway.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Seventh
                  • Dec 2006

I was confident you would have some thing to say on this matter, Faust.

First of all, I wasn't trying to be critical of Ann (perhaps the WTF thread is the wrong place for this discussion?) But I do think it is an interesting topic for discussion. Just some thoughts...

One of the things that happens when the artwork is used on clothing is that the images become more graphic. The material quality of the original images change (the detail of Cameron's prints, the surface of Dine's drawings/paintings, or the size of Walker is lost). In my mind, the original depth of their work is reduced. They become symbols, references of Ann's interests. The question for me is whether what Ann is adding back to the work in her construction of the clothes adds a new layer of meaning.

Sometimes I think that when designers use the images that inspire them is too easy or direct. That the ideas and reasons that they like an artist, designer, music or time period should be filtered more into their work, rather than just using an iconic image. The images feel like footnotes.

For example Jun's use of the Saville graphic seems slightly out place with the actually cut and aesthetic of the clothes, I don't know why the two were integrated other than he liked the design. It seemed like a cool reference rather than the motivating inspiration for the collection.

Ditto with Ann's use of Kara Walker, although I actually liked how she used Cameron, btw.

However, you could argue that images are just images, and if it looks cool, then use it.

Interested in what others think.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  I can tell you exactly what Ann was thinking, you don't have to guess.

First, like with Jun and Raf, she wants to share with the world the kind of art that inspires her. Let's face it - none of the images she has put on her clothes are even remotely close to the iconic status of that Peter Saville graphic. Outside of a narrow circle (taken in a large context) of people who know art, these are unfamiliar. I did not know who Juliette Margaret Cameron was until I saw it on Ann's clothes. Same goes for Jim Dine. I bet you 80% of the people on this board are the same way.

Second, as you have guessed yourself already, she does want you to see art in a different context. You put the art on your body, instead of hanging it on the wall. Those were her exact words. With Jim Dine, it was a collaboration - she invited him over to Antwerp and they worked together. With Kara Walker, she went beyond the tshirts - which would be commandable by Beardown's criteria.

The DaDa collection was a bit different - that was a story she imagined about what the dadaists would look if they went on vacation. Except the Dada tshirt, the rest of the collection was quite abstract. I am sure you don't think that dadaists have monopoly on colorblocks or that Mondrian has monopoly on prime colors. :-)
                  Last edited by Seventh; 11-01-2009, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I know you weren't trying to be critical :-) It is a very valid question. More on it soon.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• editevening
                      • Nov 2008

i'm not sure if Jeremy Scott needs to be called out on a WTF.
                      #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• ES3K
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by editevening View Post
                        Ok I guess you've made a point there But that he can climb out of his WTF-world with help from Adidas (and LuisaViaRoma buyers) is WTF, imho.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I don't mind. Keeps the fire of my hatred going.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                            The beloved Jeremy Scott pour Adidas... a masterpiece!

http://www.luisaviaroma.com/index.as...seasProdID=50I
                            Originally posted by editevening View Post
                            well the first words out of my mouth upon viewing this inexplicable creation were spontaneously and uncontrollably: "what the fuck?"

so, yeah...its a wtf

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎