• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by morsto View Post
    Even though one of the mantras of the forum is to disconnect fashion from celebrity culture, some people seem to drag their celebrity fascination in here anyway.. did you really take a fucking picture of someone at an ATM? tabloid status.
    I agree. The recent post-celebrity-for-the-laughs trend is getting tiresome. (Not aimed at interest1, since this is not a celeb shot)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Anyone who had to wait for a celebrity name to be announced before laughing at a picture of some schmuck wearing a hooded fleece sweatshirt tailcoat is more alarming to me than some schmuck wearing a hooded fleece sweatshirt tailcoat.

chicken– Actually, I'm an equal-opportunity shooter. just ask lowrey
      sain't

Comment

• alice anise
        • Nov 2009

I don't know but taking photos of random people to laugh at them on the internetz is more juvenile than tween celebrity gawking. The dude wasn't even in Wal-Mart . . .

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

well if you can't laugh at random strangers, who can you laugh at?
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Sombre
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
            Anyone who had to wait for a celebrity name to be announced before laughing at a picture of some schmuck wearing a hooded fleece sweatshirt tailcoat is more alarming to me than some schmuck wearing a hooded fleece sweatshirt tailcoat.
            You're the one who implied twice that the man was a celebrity - first, with the admittedly possibly innocuous use of "he". Of course in one meaning it refers to the person in the photo. But the pronoun "he" replaces a man's name. As you did not provide the man's name, it is reasonable to assume that you considered it old, given information, and therefore expected others to know it. Like I said, both are reasonable conclusions.

Your reply to Fry Chicken only further fueled the assumption that the man was a celebrity. Most people who read "Are you asleep at the wheel?" in reply to "Who's that man?" will assume that your response is relevant to the question. "Are you asleep at the wheel?" = "Are you not paying attention?" When combined with Fry Chicken's question the sarcasm reasonably implies "How could you not know?" Of course your response was not at all relevant to the question, but you didn't indicate that.

This rather verbose post was probably unnecessary, but I object to your snide remark "logistically impossible to shake sense into people" because you logically implied the conclusion you are accusing people of illogically reaching.

That aside, I agree with alice anise. It's a violation of privacy to post someone's photo on a public medium without that person's consent.
            Last edited by Sombre; 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM.
            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• diamonds
              • Dec 2006

in 'her' defense, i completely understood her posts.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                • Jan 2008

If the sheer grotesquerie of that unholy hoody/jacket hybrid didn't raise a huge "whatthefuck" blip on your aesthetic radar, didn't her accompanying text point you in the right quadrant?

I saw nothing celebrity about that dude. Pure, unfiltered, unadulterated jackass was all I got.
                I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Catfood
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                  Pure, unfiltered, unadulterated jackass was all I got.
                  Calling someone a jackass just because of what they are wearing is taking it a bit far in my opinion. It's just clothing after all..

Comment

• Sombre
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by diamonds View Post
                    in 'her' defense, i completely understood her posts.
                    More than one conclusion could have been logically reached. The one you drew was the intended one (obviously).

Originally posted by mortalveneer View Post
                    If the sheer grotesquerie of that unholy hoody/jacket hybrid didn't raise a huge "whatthefuck" blip on your aesthetic radar, didn't her accompanying text point you in the right quadrant?

I saw nothing celebrity about that dude. Pure, unfiltered, unadulterated jackass was all I got.
                    Like I said, I see similar ugly things in real life. I actually missed the "hoodie/tailcoat/sweatshirt" part of the post, and thought the fabric was wool/cashmere. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen formal combined with casual. Dolce and Gabbana's tuxedo striped sweatpants come to mind.

I think we can consider this dead horse comprehensively flogged.
                    An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                    I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
                      Calling someone a jackass just because of what they are wearing is taking it a bit far in my opinion. It's just clothing after all..
                      Since it apparently wasn't as apparent as I thought, I was employing hyperbole. I have never met the man, and likely never will, so my judgment of him must necessarily extend only as far as this single rear image (however dubiously obtained......) will allow.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

not sure if this makes the discussion more or less confusing, but I too got the impression that the person in the photo is someone possibly recognizable based on the "falling asleep at the wheel" reply. obviously just a misunderstanding and not a big deal. these things happen when you're staring at letters instead of listening to words.

that is all.

back to chillin.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

^ LOL

straight chillin'

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

this thread has gone down the proverbial lolwut hole.

it was just something funny to look at for chrissakes. not another word about it please!
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

But cjbreed, I was busy washing away all the blame and haven't had a stab at the last word. Give me a moment and I'll be back in a jiffy. I promise I'm not reloading..

sain't

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

this thread is dangerously close to creating an infinite whatthefuck loop that could imperil the very fabric of reality...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎