Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • messenoire
    • Nov 2009

i wasn't sure where else to post this but kobe bryant in damir doma?
    http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/05/...t-photo-shoot/
    this, to me, is a gigantic WTF

Comment

• DRRRK
      • Aug 2009

^ Right thread, but too late.

And this:
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ead.php?t=9316

Comment

• messenoire
        • Nov 2009

no apologies necessary. i enjoyed reading your perspective. cheers.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

i'm a fan of the first oki-ni shot, why blast them they look like they having a good time and making some money in the process
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• merkuri
            • Sep 2009

RO globa bomber much?

Comment

• underdog
              • Aug 2009

Nothing sadder in my mind than the "Maison" bandwagoning like that.

Comment

• Sombre
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Eternal
                when pairing things with gothic or darker influences with some white box-fresh nikes and some pre-distressed jeans from hell you lack sincerity.
                Good post. This discussion has literally littered the forum over the years (not in a bad way), and I think it's worth discussing every time.

I agree with most of what you say, but I want to approach the quote above from a different angle. I agree that a person may seem to lack sincerity if he/she pairs apparently disjointed or conceptually contradictory items, but there may be more to it than the respective designers' visions. Gothic and other subversive influences define one set of designers, while wealthy insinuations (idk wtf to call the influences of Cavalli, Tom Ford, D&G, etc) may define another. For designers these are more often than not mutually exclusive, ie. one hardly ever sees these two sets of influences mixed in the work of a single designer.

However, that isn't to say that an individual consumer can't be influenced by both of them. People's life experiences often combine in ways only they can understand, and for one person that may be the reconciliation of two outlooks that are perfectly contradictory to most people. If the influences have combined in such a way, it becomes more comprehensible (or at least less detestable) to envision Julius paired with Roberto Cavalli, and in this hypothetical case the pairing would not represent any insincerity on the wearer's part, just an idiosyncratic outlook on his experiences.

Hopefully I've made some kind of sense. I wanted to bring it up because in the many permutations of the discussion I've read here, people hardly ever consider a bridge between these two areas of fashion and what they represent.
                An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• kuugaia
                  • Feb 2010

^ I do remember brushing over this discussion before...but forgot which thread it was in. Anyway J, I completely agree with what you are saying about combining different aspects of your life into your clothing. After all, that's what makes everybody's style somewhat unique. This is particularly apparent when you under-go a style change that could be because of age and/or lifestyle. Though your wardrobe might change, small parts of your 'previous style' may come out in your current one. Take Oki-Ni number 3 for example...maybe he was a previous geek.

It's funny what you say P about the artisan approach to clothing, where there is no runway to give you pre-disposed perspective on how to wear clothes. 'Pick what you want, wear what you want'. Wouldn't you think this point of view also applies to somebody who cops gothic wear paired with fresh nikes? They are not buying into the designer's world and are just wearing what they want WITH what they want.

Not great at articulating myself...but yeah. My 2 cents. I too like Oki-Ni number one FtB, if his vans were black it'd be a sick outfit.
                  Last edited by kuugaia; 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

yes, please.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                        (idk wtf to call the influences of Cavalli, Tom Ford, D&G, etc)
                        shit?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• comex9
                          • Jan 2009

Do you mean Lionel trains? l love those and what Neil Young did to continue the trade.... :)

sorry, making a stupid joke....

Comment

• DamageX
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wire.artist
                            Another aim of this community is to divorce fashion from consumerism and celebrity culture
                            What's with all the celebrity photos in the Rick Owens thread then?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

/\ mutiny. people don't listen to me.

you will respect my authorita!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DamageX
                                • Dec 2008

/\ lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎