Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

sorry dude but you really have no idea how the world works or capitalism or anything. your soap box preaching is boring and tired. somebody links to facebook and you lose respect for the designer? WTF?you don't know any of these people that you speak about so it might be best to speak about what you do know. you're dissing jayz? for mixing it up? what do you think the motherfuckka is the best in the world at doing?
    how are you not guilty in what you implicate? I haven't seen you start any trends lately. I'm not picking a fight with you but when I read a post like yours, you betray your age and naivety, and somebody has to speak up. sorry.
    btw let's not forget that celebrities employ their stylists etc and help keep this tenuous business afloat.

Originally posted by Eternal
    It´s been posted already. We've had the celebrity discussion for a while, and I don't think we can avoid it. I love a lot of people in the stuff we discuss, as Jude Law and Brad pitt are those who come up often, same goes for Seal at least for me. They seem to love what they wear, but when Kobe Bryant or Lebron gets styled in DD, RO or whatever I don't really like it. The reason they style them in these brands is so they're supposed to be trendy, because some stylist reads SZ or walks into shops selling these designers and think it is dope and in the moment.

Because they're good at one thing, does not make them good at everything, or above others. I don't know what this is, but it's an american celebrity thing, and it has been established around the world by now. Jay-Z is a great rapper and can rock his streetwear, but when pairing things with gothic or darker influences with some white box-fresh nikes and some pre-distressed jeans from hell you lack sincerity. The only reason he (put in stylist if you want) bough it in the first place was not because "shit looks dope". The fact that the leather jacket was expensive and in the moment was the factor, so he could show off the price tag without having "Gucci" written over the jacket, because those rappers lower in the food-chain started to wear Gucci by now.

For Rick Owens, celebrities have been the best marketing he could ever get, as almost everyone have been sporting his stuff. Most people look good in his basics and simple leathers though, at least when talking about females.

This wave of DD hype that is coming now is in many ways pathetic to me, as it shows how capitalism can ruin a lot of great talent and great visions. Rick has his casual look that can be easily adopted and can work for a lot of people, this I don't see with Damir at all.

If people are going to name drop Damir because they wear a basic tee, when Damir is so much more about his own universe filled with garments and silhouettes never seen before, then I'm already over it. I'm sure he's a business man as well, seeing how his company has grown rapidly, possibly too fast for his own well being IMO.

And the reason I wrote all this is because when he himself ( or someone working close to him) linked to the article on facebook, then I kind of loose the respect for the designer.

If it's more important that Kobe Bryant wear your stuff than anyone else, then I think you got it wrong. Rick did put it nicely once, he did not care who wore his stuff, he was indifferent, it´s possibly a better approach.

You could say it's great PR for him, and I would agree that it is PR, great PR is arguable, depends on where he want to head with his line(s). The people who started buying Damir possibly don't think it's cool, but then the people with deeper wallets now can start buying the basics for the next 4-5 years until a new cool name with other basics shows up.

I'm not upset about this at all, I just think it's horrible how this world consume talent in a way I find discussing. I'm really indifferent to this, but it sometimes makes me appreciate the real artisanal approaches even more. There is no image to adapt, there is no name the public know about. You don´t see it styled on the catwalk, it´s just a lot of pieces. Pick what you want, and wear it because you love the piece, not the brand.

Fashion will continue at it's own speed, and there is most likely not much we can do to slow it down it seems.

(sorry to those who read all of my post with all this crap, I don't know where I am going with it)
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

you don't know when to quit.
      Why the fuck do you buy julius, rick, viridi, ann whatever... is it your vision .... no
      we all buy clothes from other people, we buy clothes to wear.
      So if Jay Z wants a leather jacket, why cant he buy rick. Why can't he wear it to his party. He i am sure is not trying to bull shit around buying a $2000 leather and forcing it with some deep dark vision.
      Who is the worse consumer? at least he is not lying to himself.
      Eternal i don't see any vision in how you dress... i see young kid like me, who obviously has a fair disposable income, who found a internet forum and though the clothes were cool. Now is dressing to the forums format.

Julius is not visionary... its whole anti fashion industrial bullshit, makes it one of the most fashionista elitist crap... it doesn't mean they don't make a nice leather jacket, but its not visionary its just clothes and anyone can wear them

I mean look Jay Z is wearing rick in a Jay Z way, its more originally than how you or I would wear it.
      Last edited by snafu; 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

I think Eternal's heart is in the right place, but unfortunately the world that "should" is not the world that "is".
        music

Comment

• nicelynice
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by snafu View Post
          I mean look Jay Z is wearing rick in a Jay Z way, its more originally than how you or I would wear it.
          I agree with this 100%
          Whether this dude is a celebrity or not is completely irrelevant to the fact that he (or his stylist, or whatever) found a jacket that he looks and feels comfortable in. I think it's completely unfair to prescribe certain "prerequisites" for wearing clothing, and I certainly won't judge that on the basis of whether they're famous or not.
          He's just a guy that looks comfortable and confident in a nice jacket, who cares if he's a great rapper, or if he likes pairing Rick with streetwear? Certainly won't affect my view of Rick Owens at all.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Eternal
            Casem got it right, and I´ve stated that before. I do perfectly know how the world works, and I´m pretty good in terms of how capitalism works.

Yeah Snafu, I´m just another kid. You don´t know if I really have a vision though. It´s hard to have expressed that vision at such a young age.

It´s just clothes, I agree with that. The only purpose of the clothes is to be worn, but for some people the process of making the clothes can be as important than how they´re worn.

I´m by the way not forcing a vision onto a garment, there is a lot of people who does the job for the Designer/brand good enough.
            Man, I wish I knew that too.

I agree with casey though - heart in the right place.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• YoungM
              • Nov 2008

Eh, gotta throw my support behind Snaf and PNod. Eternal, I absolutely adore your looks, and I enjoy reading your posts, but I think you're misguided here. I'm still in highschool, but one other kid I know is interested in this aesthetic. Whenever I'm with him, he spends a fair amount of time denouncing other people's taste in fashion (as well as other things). Perhaps I'm too apathetic about the whole thing, but I think it's important to remember that "it's just fashion". I won't argue that some designers have a great vision (well, I might about Rick, but that's personal preference) but personally, I separate it from the clothes themselves. I get the designers vision from things like lookbooks, but, once in the consumers hands, it seems crazy to insist that the vision is stuck to. Personally, I'd like the clothes I buy to be both versatile and focused. So, shit like the signature CCP leather jacket, which fits perfectly in his vision, and as just a nice leather jacket.

If that, as is likely, made no sense, I apologize. I'm in the midst of IB tests, and my brain is fried.
              Last edited by YoungM; 05-05-2010, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                Julius is not visionary... its whole anti fashion industrial bullshit, makes it one of the most fashionista elitist crap... it doesn't mean they don't make a nice leather jacket, but its not visionary its just clothes and anyone can wear them
                harsh
                LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

there are no sides here just tried of hearing about celebrities can't make a decision about what they wear. it's like they are retarded.

no doubt esl doesn't help eternals cause
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                    harsh
                    but entirely correct.

i can't stand the elitism either. the recent comment about sting was the worst. it fucking defies belief.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

regardless of whether or not jay-z can rock this or that leather jacket, the man has style and swagger beyond the confines of any particular clothing item. can't let the clothes tunnel you too much, gotta remember a lot of people who show up in this thread didn't make their name or fortunes by wearing a jacket well.

and if looking good in dope shit is your biggest claim to accomplishment and self-worth....
                      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Odd one out?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• christianef
                          • Feb 2009

capitalism guided by the invisible ccp seem.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                            • Jan 2007

full circle?

via ohwrd
                            Originally posted by jogu
                            i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

^^oh shit i genuinely lol'd.
                              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

SZ represents.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎