X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beardown
    rekoner
    • Feb 2009

I think they were doing a Starbucks blanket and conquer approach geographically since the stores don't require much custom specifics. They could open up one anywhere and the insides were minimal enough to not require a huge amount of capital or investment.

It was a bad business decision...it worked for a while though, which inspired all the other locations in more obscure areas.
    i have never been a huge fan of the company; the cut of the shirts specifically I have a problem with. I like the fact they were one of the first companies doing widespread ringspun slim fit tees but I always felt they were too short if you're over 5'9", unless you like your belt/navel/asscrack to show.

I always supported it and used their shirts when I did an shirt company in the beginning simply because their products are made in the United States.
    To me, that was the bottom line.
    In an atmosphere where people demand cheaper/crappier shit from China so they can save a few pennies, that idea has all but shut down U.S. production, especially in terms of apparel and garments.
    I won't get too political, but obviously there is a downside to a nation that consumes but doesn't produce.

It proved that even younger people will buy something made in the U.S. even if it's a bit more expensive if the quality is there and the marketing/identity resonates with them.
    Obviously the head of the beast was a huge problem but I do hope other people pick up on the idea of producing goods in the U.S. for a younger market.
    I'm sick to death of a country of people who will make constant demands about low prices, support every Walmart on every block and then complain and bemoan the death of America's significance.

I always make a point to buy a few pieces from Odyn Vovk (even if it's just basics) simply because it's produced in the U.S.
    And at this point, I'll just remind everyone that Vans used to be made in the U.S. and with their current state of popularity (for a company that's been around since 1966, America could have become the leader of shoe production for the worldwide youth market.
    But I'm sure they're making several extra dollars per pair having them made in China and, after all, that's what really counts.
    Right?
    Originally posted by mizzar
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

nothing much to say at this time, but nice post beardown............
      Just wish more people were as socially and politically aware of the impact of personal decisions on the wider society..............
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• ardeetee
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zenith View Post
        Good finds maybe?

"Purchased from Liberty's of London for £1620...

I'm selling this jacket for £5,000... yes £5000. It is not a mistake, £5,000"
        that's weird, dude was selling the same jacket (didn't sell) for around 1000USD, now it's 7000+?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
          I like the fact they were one of the first companies doing widespread ringspun slim fit tees but I always felt they were too short if you're over 5'9", unless you like your belt/navel/asscrack to show.
          and so the thread comes full circle. look at the first post of this thread :-)

And I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post. Another sad thing is that it took a Canadian to bring the sweatshop-free-made-in-america thing back. We are a pathetic nation. I still remember my finance professor half-jokingly say to me, "I don't know what you were building in the Soviet Union, but we built worker's paradise right here - abundant, cheap shit for everyone." Priceless.

Another problem with AA is how quickly the hipster marketing drowned the original "sweatshop-free" message. I remember when AA started that's what it was all about. I have talked to my students about AA this year, and that's not how they viewed the company - their image of AA was dominated by racy, hipsterish ads.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jgan85
            • Apr 2008

beardown: AA has since gone from "made in the USA" to "assembled in the USA", no?

EDIT - good to hear, my bad
            ________
            Vaporite vaporizer parts
            Last edited by jgan85; 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• beardown
              rekoner
              • Feb 2009

jgan85,
              Not true. At least according to their website, all of their products are made in the garment district in downtown LA.

Faust,
              I agree about watering down the message of the sweatshop free environment. It's a sad statement when younger adults have to be 'lured' into being responsible consumers but that's the way it seems to be working.

Same with organic food and 'green' products/processes.
              I have a feeling that if being vegan/vegetarian wasn't lumped into the hipster playbook, there would be a lot more local farmers out of work.
              The bad thing is that like American Apparel, what's cool today for these folks is passe tomorrow and a backlash is inevitable within that particular group.
              Not that I think veganism or vegetarianism is a fad; it's just that it's become cool where it was once considered extreme and that's brought a lot of people into it who are looking for social points.
              I guess if kids can be introduced to being responsible/intelligent consumers at a young age, we've got some kind of a fighting chance. My generation has blown it...catered to, whisked around in mini vans, credit cards on demand, disposable diapers, disposable cans, disposable identities.
              I'm not even a hippie.
              I just think at some point you get what you ask for and eventually, we all have to pay the piper.

It just bums me out. A story about all the AA stores closing was on the front page of Digg and there was nothing but collective cheers and jubilation over the death rattle of the 'hipster.'
              And I'm thinking, 'these people are celebrating the death of one of the largest garment producers in the U.S. No wonder the economy sucks and they can't find jobs. They're too busy shooting themselves in the foot to see the broader scope."
              I can stomach the hipsters if they encourage American production; it's likely no worse or annoying than whatever the next big trend will be, which appears to be looming right around the corner.
              Originally posted by mizzar
              Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• messenoire
                • Nov 2009

i am currently at work but i do remember while shopping the s/s 10 sales i ran across a "luxury" croc. it was upwards of $250. i'll find a photo later and edit this post if it hasnt already been posted but it completely blew my mind.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

agreed on all accounts, beardown.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• christianef
                    • Feb 2009

on a more uplifting note: wang takes over old yohji space

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                      on a more uplifting note: wang takes over old yohji space
                      http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/...i-season/21810

and you find this uplifting?.

Comment

• christianef
                        • Feb 2009

;)
                        when i began walking around aimlessly in nyc this summer looking for IF the vacant space with the name still on the window was the first somewhat familiar place i came across :(

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by christianef View Post
                          ;)
                          when I began walking around aimlessly in nyc this summer looking for IF the vacant space with the name still on the window was the first somewhat familiar place i came across :(
                          here are different kinds of people in the world, and surely there is a place for people like Wang in the broad scope of fashion.........but it Saddens me that a person like Yohji closed and someone like Wang is going to occupy a space that once housed Yohji...........

I live in NY and I love the City, but I really think it sucks when it comes to Genuine appreciation for Avant Garde type designers...........

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

Wang's far from being the worst of the lot though, I think

also, this isn't german, you don't need to capitalise nouns

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                              Wang's far from being the worst of the lot though, I think

also, this isn't german, you don't need to capitalise nouns
                              by no means am i suggesting that he is, all i am saying is that greater and better talents are struggling while middle market ones are getting ahead..................
                              Also, I just have bad typing habits and cant be bothered to reread sometimes..............

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

neither 'saddens' nor 'genuine' is a noun. jus sayin...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎