Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • copacetic
    • Nov 2010

Insult to injury: the sleeves are too short for the fit model.

Originally posted by cooldudeguy3000 View Post
    And "When the prince has gathered about him
    "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• michael_kard
      • Oct 2010

OK, so apparently Ann makes some of her stuff in China.
      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Lane
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
        OK, so apparently Ann makes some of her stuff in China.
        location of where things are made don't necessarily correlate with bad quality, though.

Comment

• the breaks
          • Sep 2007

shouldn't cost as much though
          Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• ES3K
            • Oct 2008

So the Chinese won't buy it. I quote Tyler Brûlé from his FT column:

The Chinese fashion dragon doesn’t want “made in China”: all those private equity firms that bought European brands and shifted production to China are now seeing their sales wither. It’s not exactly surprising that the sophisticated Chinese consumer doesn’t want to buy a European brand that’s stitched together in his own backyard but still comes with a “made in Italy” price tag. This is great news for all those companies who recognised that they’re not just marketing businesses but industrial players as well.

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
              OK, so apparently Italy/Japan makes some of their stuff in China.
              Fixed.
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Lane View Post
                location of where things are made don't necessarily correlate with bad quality, though.
                I never said that, my made in Tunisia wool pants are amazingly constructed, and have some hand stitching too (not sure if that's a really a sign of quality but whatever).

Given Ann's extremely high prices, combined with the fact that she's been an established designer for quite some time, I think it's not a justifiable move at all.
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Lane
                  • Aug 2010

wait, so whats the issue here? We've established many of the designers here have their stuff made in China, not all..but some. You say the prospect that quality is diminished is not your concern, then what exactly is?

Comment

• Atom
                    • Sep 2009

This discussions pops up quite often.

I don't feel like paying premium when a product is made in low cost country. China nowadays may not be the cheapest, and the working conditions may not be the worst anymore, but still... at least this should be affected on price I think.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

The only thing I've seen by Ann that was made in China has been the huge knit braided cardigan from fall 2009, which carried a pretty substantial price. I can only assume that making it in any of Ann's usual manufacturing countries would have been cost prohibitive. Most of her sweaters seem to be made in Belgium.
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS
                      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Yes, I think those are hand knit, as you cannot do such a heavy gauge on a machine - hence the cost of labor elsewhere would've made it out of the question. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Same thing with my hand-knit heavy gauge cardigan by Cloak from FW04 - the only item IIRC that was made in China.

But I would not be surprise if some of it is done the same way "made in Italy" is done. Still, I don't know how far we can take this point. The hard reality is that prices of raw materials and labor are going up (the cost of cotton alone jumped 15% this year) and very sadly, the entire industry will have to change. So get your designer gear now, because most of us will be priced out of the market soon enough and H&M will be dancing on everybody's grave.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

/\ That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been reading your blog for the past few days and in a review of Ann's FW06 collection, you mentioned a few prices. $1500 for outerwear? $700 for a blazer? A blazer from SS11 was 1600 euro, in Europe.

Comment

• Lane
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            So get your designer gear now, because most of us will be priced out of the market soon enough and H&M will be dancing on everybody's grave.
                            oh fucking hell, another hobby of mine dying out

Comment

• comedyzen
                              • May 2009

Just made a purchase at ZEKKA and learned that 1 USD = .98 AUD. Last time I checked the conversion (5+ yrs ago), it was 1 USD to 1.5 AUD....fu@k. Also learned 1 USD = 6.5 Renminbi. It was 1 to 8+ last year when I was there.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎