X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

removed the links.. we don't need to send any more business their way. Hopefully no member would consider buying such a blatant fake, but I'm sure there are lurkers who would....
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
      The continuing popularity, and perpetually rising prices, of Ann's cheaply glued-together footwear makes me question your argument. I mean, the construction quality on Allen Edmonds shoes is worlds better than the construction quality on Ann Demeulemeester boots, yet the Ann shoes show no signs of succumbing to pricing pressure and moving downwards. In fact, over the last 5-10 years, the retail price for her footwear has increased quite significantly. Anyone can knock these off, there is nothing impressive about the construction, treatment, or anything else on these shoes. All that distinguishes her shoes is the design.

Also, the idea of knockoffs creating pricing pressure in perfume is kind of odd. What's the thought process there?
      Ann's footwear is the one area where her quality did not take a hit. I will happily agree with when one of my pairs (and some of them I've had for 7 years) will start falling apart. I don't have a single pair of her footwear where the sole is not stitched to the upper.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• neonrider
        • Jan 2008

^ interesting discussion. not having much ann stuff (want to love but never fits me properly), i can't comment specifically.

perhaps it's useful to distinguish two kinds of strategies (or "biz models" for lack of a better word). "designers" vs "artisans" (if i can use that word loosely). the latter is characterized by semi-in-house production/integration, tiny batch sizes, higher labor intensity, less homogeneous raw materials, more learning-by-doing, and higher skill, more specialized production techniques--and the former by the opposite (think ccp or cdiem vs rick, to an extent). i'd suggest that the former is more susceptible to knockoffs (aka, more prone to commoditization) than the latter, and while it's ethically questionable, it's unlikely to simply go away in a world where tailors in poor countries with relatively low labor and inputs costs can not just reach global markets, but actively be "pulled" and sought out by them.

hence, i see pressure to migrate towards the latter: the returns to artisanship are likely to exceed the returns to "designership" (you might note, for example, allsaints' new line of "japanese shuttle loom shirts" as a tiny but telling example of seeking greater marginal profit via artisanship).

*yes, of course, if you're already an established mega-brand, then you chose your strategy decades ago, and now you're essentially eking out the last bits of returns by marketing the hell out of accessories.

apologies for the longish post. just my opinion, you're welcome to disagree (i'm far from an expert on how the stuff we love is actually produced in the real world, so ymmv).
        ""assuming the economy doesn't force us to eat the rich and object-tan their hides" -- merz

Comment

• Zenith
          • Jun 2009

Yeah the bag that you would get for free if you bought any drkshdw outerwear...

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

so yoox finally got off their asses and managed to send me a 'premiere' notification, since according to them "new items have arrived with the characteristics that you were looking for". this is what they recommend:

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

lulz

i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• jogu
                • Jun 2009

bwaahahahahahahaa

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

boy u gotta be pretty fit to model for yoox now
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

sexy.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

I've always wondered about the undergarments/bathing suits on there... I imagine they don't always have more than one of each so.... potentially rubbing your goods with the model's goods...

That's quite a model up there though!
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                        I've always wondered about the undergarments/bathing suits on there... I imagine they don't always have more than one of each so.... potentially rubbing your goods with the model's goods...

That's quite a model up there though!
                        Dude, I just busted up about 200 calories...........
                        My side is aching.........
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ please do not interfere with our illusions. thank you.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• and no hair either.

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

ok joni. that's a wtf post if i ever saw one.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎