• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHRIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2006

if you see it that way, fine.

i'm not willing to sacrifice additional funds because people on the internet are easily confused. but then again, i'd be able to tell from the thumbnail itself that the jacket isn't by rick owens, so maybe that's just me expecting too much from others.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Oasis View Post
      It's a pretty dick move in any case.
      I have to agree...it's manipulative to the uneducated buyer. I'm all for being educated personally, but I don't think it's fair for someone for whom English isn't their first language, for example.

I'd equate it to this - if that was a paid advertisement, it would be pulled as being deceptive.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• CHRIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2006

i honestly see where you guys are coming from, i really do. but the listing itself isn't deceptive; only the title is. its different than a billboard because the fine print isnt really all that fine. perhaps next time i'll try topshop x rick owens or something ahah. the term 'by' goes a step far, i'll admit. but i don't utilize this as a common listing phrase or anything. i don't own a shit ton of topshop pieces. it's just that i genuinely believed that by omitting 'rick owens' from the title, i'd probably be losing around $100-150. name dropping doesn't increase the item value, of course, but it definitely makes it available to larger audience with similar aesthetic preferences.

Comment

• Rosenrot
          • Aug 2010

If you'd like to get more views by leveraging on other designers, what I find works equally well but still being honest is to write say, "Topshop - like RO", etc. Also you can get more for Topshop stuff by listing on UK ebay.

Topshop by RO or Topshop x RO really does make it seem like he designed something for the chain.
          Originally posted by Patroklus
          Better too adventurous than not enough
          everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Lane
            • Aug 2010

you're taking advantage of dummies and trying to justify it, though. You're selling shit for twice of retail cuz people think it has some sort of association with rick owens or is something rick. Its pretty lame, but more power to you if you actually get money off dummies I guess... I just think that the "by" as you acknowledged is a step far because many are clueless bidders who might think they are getting the deal of a lifetime.

deception aside, that rottweiler shirt is growing on me

Comment

• gavagai
              • May 2010

The listing title clearly says "TOPSHOP By Rick Owens"

There are ways to manipulate search results. without claiming the product is designed by Rick Owens.

Comment

• CHRIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                If you'd like to get more views by leveraging on other designers, what I find works equally well but still being honest is to write say, "Topshop - like RO", etc. Also you can get more for Topshop stuff by listing on UK ebay.

Topshop by RO or Topshop x RO really does make it seem like he designed something for the chain.
                i've tried that in the past and they still removed my listings! i think sometimes it all just comes down to luck -- whether they detect your listing or not. i've seen items in my watchlist make it to completion despite the fact that the title read: "ann demeulemeester rick owens raf simons margiela cool pants" or something like that

but in the future, i will definitely try to devise some kind of wording that is less... tricky. only if necessary of course. (i think since we're deconstructing semantics here, maybe rick owens by topshop would be less deceiving, since they're already well known for imitating certain designers, and the idea of topshop designing for him is totally and obviously ludicrous haha)

lane -- the last buyer knew it was by topshop the entire time. we had a pretty long exchange prior to the listing's end. she just thought it looked awesome. and it does. the only problem is that it's by topshop. who the fuck searches for that on eBay?

Comment

• Rosenrot
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
                  the only problem is that it's by topshop. who the fuck searches for that on eBay?
                  Lots and lots over in the UK. Then again without the 'RO' association it'd have fetched less.

Anyway if you still want to put other brands in the listing at least separate them with some words to minimise confusion. Maybe that won't get your listing removed.

Comment

• couturehomme
                    • Oct 2008

really, really grimy

Comment

• CHRIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                      Lots and lots over in the UK. Then again without the 'RO' association it'd have fetched less.

Anyway if you still want to put other brands in the listing at least separate them with some words to minimise confusion. Maybe that won't get your listing removed.
                      trust me, i've essentially played fucking scrabble with eBay. it really just comes down to luck, and if your listing gets flagged once, you pretty much have to abide by the rules the second time around. i wouldn't have inserted the 'by' unless i felt like i was out of options.

i'm sorry if you think it's 'grimy', but i personally don't find it all that confusing? i shouldn't have assumed that to be the case for others.
                      Last edited by CHRIS; 12-06-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• HWith
                        • May 2007

The biggest problem about listing this way is that a search for "Rick Owens" gets cluttered by all sorts of shit people wanna sell that is not actual RO. Remember back in the day when Indu Homme or what the hell the label was called did exactly the same with Dior Homme? Half of the listings were not really DH pieces but look-alikes. I'm dreading the day that happens with RO as well.

I know some people might add e.g. "poell" to a M.A. listing and that's fair, as they're such specialized labels that don't generate many listings and you can expect people who are insterested in one to be interested in the other as well.

But someone searching for a RO shearling sure as hell is not going to buy one from TopShop instead, so it's just annoying to have to sort through a lot of junk that is NOT Rick Owens to find the actual Rick Owens when searching for Rick Owens!

Comment

• CHRIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2006

if bidders were COLLECTIVELY misled to believe that i were actually selling a rick owens shearling, the price wouldn't be at a mere $200 with 7 hours left to go. obviously people are aware that it's by topshop. but at the same time, i've currently got like 140 watchers.

someone living in buttfuck kentucky might have done a search for rick owens to drool over some unattainable piece, and could have instead found something within his or her price range from a store located several hundred miles away. we don't really know what kind of reinforcement is at play here, but evidently something is working in my favor.

and of course no one is going to openly support me on this. no one wants to be considered fucking grimy. but i don't think i'd be wrong in assuming that some of you would be willing to act on this same logical loop if it meant an extra $200 in your paypal account.

anyway, i didn't intend to mislead people. i intended to raise awareness. and i generally expect people to make use of their eyes and their heads before reaching for their wallets.
                          Last edited by CHRIS; 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                            • Aug 2010

^^ Uh oh, heads will roll

Comment

• HWith
                              • May 2007

Damn that shirt is atrocious...

Comment