Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingJulien
    • Oct 2011

Yeah, well I meant it as an analogy, but I imagine that he was taking influence from whatever designers (I'd assume Italian from the looks of that photo?) were around him (like most guys - at least in the US - try to start with Esquire/GQ), kinda designing within that framework & those limitations without even maybe realizing they were there, and then found his own stride sometime later.

I don't know much about Poell's history, though, so maybe this sounds retarded to those of you who are huge fans, haha.

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by CHRIS View Post
      cannot compute. i mean, the left two... really? did he have some sort of life altering accident between 1996 and now? did someone pour tar on his heart?
      All I know is...something between then and now died. He may have killed it...it may have killed him...who knows...let's all just be thankful that it did.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by KingJulien View Post
        Yeah, well I meant it as an analogy, but I imagine that he was taking influence from whatever designers (I'd assume Italian from the looks of that photo?) were around him (like most guys - at least in the US - try to start with Esquire/GQ), kinda designing within that framework & those limitations without even maybe realizing they were there, and then found his own stride sometime later.

I don't know much about Poell's history, though, so maybe this sounds retarded to those of you who are huge fans, haha.
        thats a pretty bold assumption to make if you are not at all familiar with the history of his work, don't you think?

I don't know much about his first years (more about early 00's onwards), but I know his work was far from generic already around 99-00 (using human hair, translucent leather, starting to use some of his signature elements) so I doubt he went from being a full Armani knock-off to this in a few years.

Any way, the picture is pretty funny, but I can't really make much of it except that the styling is hilarious with the spread shirt collars and all. The suits look pretty regular, but its hard to say much more. That said, he has certainly had his share of ridicilousness in the past, just like any designer with a 15+ year history of work.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

Could it just be the result of someone else's styling?
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Chant
            Banned
            • Jun 2008

The lack of historical perspective here is puzzling. I guess it's one of the consequences of being raised by the internet... There are a lot of pics - if you search correctly - from his early work (1996 is the year of foundation of CCP), and I own, for example, a pair of high waisted formal flared trousers. Yes, just like in Miami vice. CCP is not born in arms from Jupiter's head.
            Last edited by Chant; 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM. Reason: galia told me the word I was missing

Comment

• CHRIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2006

i think i mastered cursive writing in 1996

doesn't matter either way, i don't like him enough to own anything by him, i guess i'm just confused about how you go from low tiered prada to human hair ties in ~3 years

but who knows, maybe gq is kind of to blame. fucking up #menswear, since 1996™

Comment

• TheThief
                • Mar 2011

It doesnt help that in the 90's bodybuilder-chic was de rigueur.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

Christian: Flares ou flared trousers

Comment

• Chant
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                    Christian: Flares ou flared trousers
                    Thanks. Wasn't that far...

Comment

• KingJulien
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                      thats a pretty bold assumption to make if you are not at all familiar with the history of his work, don't you think?

I don't know much about his first years (more about early 00's onwards), but I know his work was far from generic already around 99-00 (using human hair, translucent leather, starting to use some of his signature elements) so I doubt he went from being a full Armani knock-off to this in a few years.

Any way, the picture is pretty funny, but I can't really make much of it except that the styling is hilarious with the spread shirt collars and all. The suits look pretty regular, but its hard to say much more. That said, he has certainly had his share of ridicilousness in the past, just like any designer with a 15+ year history of work.
                      Wasn't an assumption at all, just a speculation thought I phrased it that way but maybe not. I guess I thought it was a cool idea that the lifecycle of a designer would mirror the lifecycle of a consumer, more so than I actually assume that's how it went.

Comment

• michael_kard
                        • Oct 2010

OMFG soulshui. If I were you I'd remove that link, it's beyond tragic. They don't deserve the exposure.
                        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• cjbreed
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by soulshui

*removed*

not sure if trolling or kukluxklan.
                          o...............m..............g
                          Last edited by beardown; 03-29-2012, 07:08 PM. Reason: let's not give that shit anymore attention
                          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by hwai333 View Post

Comment

• CHRIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2006

wasn't sure if this should go here or good finds

human flesh nikes. they beat ccp to it!

Comment

Working...