Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Urthwhyte
    • Oct 2011

His stylist is in a competition with Jared Leeto's to see who can make their client look as bad as possible without them realizing it.

Comment

• Skye X
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Urthwhyte View Post
      His stylist is in a competition with Jared Leeto's to see who can make their client look as bad as possible without them realizing it.
      I think Lambert's is winning...

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ryuatmn View Post
        The alcohol poison inducing drinking game that goes with
        haha

an easier version would be to drink at every face you want to punch, and you'd be under the table in 2 minutes
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Nikov
          • Nov 2008

im pretty sure Leto buys dick on his own. And he actually looks good in it.

Comment

• Crowzer
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
            Hope the girlfriend provide some "how to walk with high heel" lessons.

Comment

• cjbreed
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by ryuatmn View Post
              The alcohol poison inducing drinking game that goes with

Sofia, 19: “I am wearing my favorite thrifted fake fur coat. Everything else is also thrifted from several second hand stories and from friends. I mainly just mix and match dark shades and layers.”Venla, 21: “All my clothes are secondhand. At the moment I like all things with lace, and finally found this lace skirt at a flea market. I just mix and match my clothes in different ways and

Basically go through the Hel Looks site and take an amount of shots of spirits specified for each ‘crime’.

1 for every second hand clothing item mentioned.
              1 for every item which used to belong to the wearer’s (grand)parent.
              1 for each mention of customization. “Self made” doesn’t count.
              1 for multiple neon colours. Combining other painfully cheerful and bright colours count as well.
              1 for every item explicitly mentioned to been bought from abroad, except..
              2 if it was from Japan.
              1 for every mention of a decade as a source of inspiration, except..
              2 if it was the 80s.
              1 for every celebrity NOT associated with design/modeling being credited for inspiration.
              1 for every self-consciously outrageous accessory. Ridiculously oversized bags, huge jewelry..
              o...............m..............g
              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• morsto
                • Nov 2008

that hel-looks page could (almost) be from copenhagen, that secondhand-vintage shit runs rampant here as well among blogger girls.

Wake up, wrap your duvet around you, go comfy shit
                I do not recognise the vessel,
                but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Rosenrot
                  • Aug 2010

Honestly speaking, even if none of these looks speak to me, I wouldn't actually call them bad. Granted there is a general disregard for proportion or colours but at least they're not boring. To me they symbolise the crazy Scandinavian street style.
                  Originally posted by Patroklus
                  Better too adventurous than not enough
                  everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                    • Oct 2011

Time for a 03:00 just got back from a concert post!

Originally posted by Nikov View Post
                    im pretty sure Leto buys dick on his own. And he actually looks good in it.
                    Not all Rick, but I beg to differ
                    Originally posted by morsto View Post
                    that hel-looks page could (almost) be from copenhagen, that secondhand-vintage shit runs rampant here as well among blogger girls.

Wake up, wrap your duvet around you, go comfy shit
                    I haven't lived in CPH for ~6mo now but I got the sense that in general the younger set was moving away from that. I mostly hung around Vesterbro and Kødbyen though, so idk.

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
                    Honestly speaking, even if none of these looks speak to me, I wouldn't actually call them bad. Granted there is a general disregard for proportion or colours but at least they're not boring. To me they symbolise the crazy Scandinavian street style.
                    They're not really typical of Scandinavian street style though. The author has a penchant for finding people that look like a thrift store exploded on them, not people who dress well by any measure. These looks are to Finnish style what the guy with the weird tie collection is to the Typical Corporate Office™ is - different for the sake of it.

Comment

• Rosenrot
                      • Aug 2010

They're not really typical of Scandinavian street style though. The author has a penchant for finding people that look like a thrift store exploded on them, not people who dress well by any measure. These looks are to Finnish style what the guy with the weird tie collection is to the Typical Corporate Office™ is - different for the sake of it.
                      Perhaps Scandinavian may be too broad, Icelandic fashion would be a closer comparison, or what I see from Facehunter five years ago anyway. Again whichever region they represent, I think they can be a rich source of inspirations. Beats the mundane fashion I get over at this corner.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

I think his main point was that you don't see people like this on the street too much, I would imagine not in Iceland either. I never see people like this in Helsinki, theres plenty of hipsters etc but for the most part they are much more low key than anything on Hel-looks. they must spent a lot of time searching for peculiar people, or they just set up the shoots somehow.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                          • Oct 2011

lowrey managed to get my point across far better than I did. I think Scandinavia (and Denmark) more specifically have much to offer in terms of inspiration, but Hel-looks is by no measure an accurate reflection of it.

Edit (hopefully gotten in before your reply):
                          Originally posted by Rosenrot
                          Beats the mundane fashion I get over at this corner.
                          I'm sure this will turn out as incoherent as my last post, but this is so worth addressing I pray lowrey will translate again .

This ties back into the above sentiment that Hel-looks isn't a representative sample of Helsinki's fashion scene. I'm sure we all have "the grass is greener" moments when we look at HdG's photos, or CPH Cycle Chic, or even an On the Street editorial from Cunningham, but it's something endemic of any tightly curated site about a niche topic. Only the successes are brought to their readers' attention - the 500 items that didn't pan out are never seen by them and so it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's somehow all interesting, all the time. The percentage of people dressing "interestingly" in Singapore? is probably just as large, but the effect of seeing everyone else cancels outs the high of seeing one
                          Last edited by Urthwhyte; 04-10-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• eleven crows
                            • Mar 2011

finland isn't a scandinavian country though...

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                              • Oct 2011

Yea that's true but all the Finns I know were from the Swedish speaking portion and I always end up lumping in it. It's cold and dark most of the year and expensive as hell to live there, might as well include it for the sake of not derailing this discussion

Comment

• Rosenrot
                                • Aug 2010

This ties back into the above sentiment that Hel-looks isn't a representative sample of Helsinki's fashion scene. I'm sure we all have "the grass is greener" moments when we look at HdG's photos, or CPH Cycle Chic, or even an On the Street editorial from Cunningham, but it's something endemic of any tightly curated site about a niche topic. Only the successes are brought to their readers' attention - the 500 items that didn't pan out are never seen by them and so it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's somehow all interesting, all the time.
                                My first reply might have been misrepresented. I was pointing out the fact that there's nothing wrong with this outrageous-ness. They may look ridiculous to goth ninjas who are so anal about proportions, cuts, and colours, but there is no reason to think of them as style pariahs.

As to how much they represent a region, I may have made a misjudgement somewhat. My bad.

The percentage of people dressing "interestingly" in Singapore? is probably just as large, but the effect of seeing everyone else cancels outs the high of seeing one
                                I have lived in Melbourne and London, but none compares to the number of years I've spent in Singapore. There is a stark difference in the amount of effort people take to look good between the former two and the latter, down to the level of energy on the streets.

Granted with the democratisation of fashion more people are dressing up, kudos to them who look good, but many among those who try are dancing to the tune of Alexander Wang or their own rendition of Celine's top to toe floral prints that would have looked better on a couch. Maybe in time things will change for the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍