X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JetLag
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by copacetic
    i don't mean to be an ass, but we can't know that it's totally unexceptional without examining the garment in person. right?
    Since I obviously examined this piece in person - fabric and cut - I can confirm that it's not "inspired by", not an interpretation, it's a real workwear. The tag only makes a difference. Nothing more.
    Agree with Beardown then.
    Originally posted by danman
    If I could meet you in person I'd fuck you up and steal your PH you bitch. Fuck you and your site

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by merz
      at the end of the day these thing are of marginal interest to myself (and the vast majority of this forum) as consumers.
      this.
      dare i say, not only as consumers? i can see the talent of McQueen and the likes, but from a strictly theoretical / critical point of view, fashion as a culture does not interest me at all (the shows, their universe, narratives... bore me to no end). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who can't see himself neither as a consumerist ('i want ccp cause it's hot stuff, so expensive, so exclusive... and it will make me feel so strong') nor as a fashion fan.
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

I find this discussion most interesting, and especially the point raised about a certain distinction between the affectual/embodied aspect of wearing clothes vs. the semiotic and textual narrative they may communicate. I have nothing to add, other than that if anyone is interested in reading further on this topic this book is actually quite interesting and forms a solid theoretical framework for understanding dress like an embodied practice.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• KingJulien
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BSR View Post
          this.
          dare i say, not only as consumers? i can see the talent of McQueen and the likes, but from a strictly theoretical / critical point of view, fashion as a culture does not interest me at all (the shows, their universe, narratives... bore me to no end). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who can't see himself neither as a consumerist ('i want ccp cause it's hot stuff, so expensive, so exclusive... and it will make me feel so strong') nor as a fashion fan.
          Yeah, I was just trying to point out that saying "Harnden is as talented/better than McQueen etc" is pretty dumb and not even really a fair comparison, since McQueen was of the highest caliber couture designers while Harnden is not trying to perform in the same arena at all, as far as I know. I think Faust's point may have been different, I'll let him speak for himself if he wants to.

I actually do have an interest in the broader picture, though, but Harnden / CCP etc also fall into that category of clothing that I find interesting but can't (or in this case more like don't want to) purchase. I don't really see a problem with both types of people existing on the same forum.

Tangentially, if you actually want to know more about the type of people that wear that, this is a really good article (I think it requires a subscription though) - http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...26fa_fact_mead

Comment

• BSR
            • Aug 2008

sorry but when i read that i don't want to know more:

Originally posted by rebecca mead
            For the past five years, Guinness has been involved with Bernard-Henri Lévy, the French philosopher and timber heir.
            thanks mk, the book seems pretty intersting indeed!
            pix

Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• JetLag
              • Jul 2008

i want ccp cause it's hot stuff, so expensive, so exclusive... and it will make me feel so strong'.
              CCP clothes make me feel stronger actualy, and sexually performing too.
              If I could meet you in person I'd fuck you up and steal your PH you bitch. Fuck you and your site

Comment

• BSR
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JetLag View Post
                CCP clothes make me feel stronger actualy, and sexually performing too.
                i'm glad you finally found a solution to your disease, mate
                pix

Comment

• JetLag
                  • Jul 2008

I can't believe I'm the only one to feel this...

Comment

• christianef
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                    Ugh, so I got burned by the Cody/egocomplex Silent buy. I trusted everything was legit as I had a very smooth transaction ordering a shirt last season I couldn't find anywhere else so I placed a pre-order for silent SS 2012. A few months after putting down a deposit for the pre-order I ask when can I expect it and get a reply that the Silent buy fell through and my deposit will be refunded. Almost 2 months and several nice requests later and I have yet to see my deposit. I didn't want to publicly complain until I gave ample time for things to be resolved privately but this is ridiculous.
                    a good scammer prays on the pipedream imaginary fantasy you will actually get your item/refund/things may be resolved - i dont want to fill u with more false hope but i ordered a shirt from cody once, it took for ever, inquired a few times, hed promptly reply but was clearly talking out of his ass, figured i got burnt and then it randomly showed up like 2 months later. annoying but good thing about this dude is he can eventually come through u just feel like an idiot in the mean time.

Comment

• cjbreed
                      • Feb 2009

^so...that whole lost&found thing is a bullshit? a "maybe" coupled with an undetermined period of anxiety? i'll pass
                      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

sorry but when i read that i don't want to know more:

thanks mk, the book seems pretty intersting indeed!
                        Quoi, tu ignores tout de la promenade romantique dans les rues de Paris du grand homme et de l'héritière glamour!!?? Tu devrais te tenir au courant des faits d'armes de l'héritier de Sartre.
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• BSR
                          • Aug 2008

holy shit, BHL = trollface
                          pix

Comment

• t-bone
                            • Dec 2009

A little late but I think this needs to be posted:

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

holy shit, BHL = trollface
                              I bet Daphne feels all smart and shit.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sissyleaks View Post
                                I was referring to the 'market' in relation to this forum. Why would i bother about mcqueen and chalayan? Their work is great but their clothes on the shop floor have little appeal to me. especially the latter's.

I dont think paul is a 'fashion' designer. He just makes clothes the way he likes them - 'old-world' workwear- either your cup of tea or not- i dont think he is interested in making ball gowns for spray tanned princesses. Who the hell is chalayan's customer anyway? He certainly doesnt rely on his sales.

If hardnen is a 1 trick pony for his references, then im afraid most designers are the same. You have to champion galliano or marc jacobs for jumping from apples to oranges every season. Id like to think of hardnen like rick - he sticks to his guns. Does what he does when he feels like it - and he does a bloody good job of it too (in his own distinct way).

I dont see any other designer discussed here where people can resell the clothes for the same price they paid for(or sometimes more) after months of wear.

There arent many designers with as much integrity either, so id like to know what prompted you to say so.
                                Originally posted by merz
                                err, before we go any further in the hyperbole direction, (provided there is anywhere to go beyond your lovely 'red hot chilli peppers vs mozart' analogy) i'd like to make a small observation.

this forum has always served primarily as a venue for discussion of personal aesthetics. this is somewhat different from and not limited to 'fashion' in the four-letter-word sense. however much respect i may have for mcqueen, chalayan and their body of work, at the end of the day these thing are of marginal interest to myself (and the vast majority of this forum) as consumers. the direct relationship possible for most of us to have with their work can only be negligible, leaving those not in the field of fashion journalism relatively little reason to go there.

though i'm not exactly what you might call a harnden cheerleader, i generally come here to discuss things i have some interest in or connection with, and most of my contributions have been limited to the scope of such matters. the relationship to be had with clothes differs from other objects of aesthetic value in that clothing is to be worn and to be affected by. forced discussion of something one lacks any such intimate connection with seems a bit pointless. in the case of 'high fashion', something practically inextricable from a context of, paraphrasing sissy, ballgowns for spray-tanned princesses, it seems rather masturbatory.

do i really give a fuck about elaborate spectacles?
                                Oh yeah, what was I thinking. Let's go back to discussin Guidi style numbers and drooling over poell's seams!
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎