X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by JoniF
    Then where should such young talents go? No industry would allow inexperienced students to undertake those horrible unpaid internships that consist of menial labor—there are graduate students for that.
    Well two things,
    you ask where should such young talents go?
    some are indeed talented, and some are not, so its a question of who really is and who isn't.
    A lot of fashion schools, like most colleges nowadays, are businesses for profit, and as such as long as you meet the basic credentials and have the money to pay (or can get a loan) you are in........I think a lot of young people and their parents need to be really serious about the prospects of thier children having meaningful careers in some of these professions..........and I know one could argue that the downside of that is we have seen many successful people, defy the original perceptions of their families and become successful in areas where it never seemed possible. As such one cannot say who will or who wont succeed in a given profession

There was a time in our society where having a good education almost guaranteed a certain kind of security in a good Job and such, now we have a plethora of people who have worked hard, went to colleges and the society is so screwed that there is no Jobs for them........a perplexing reality...............so much for reason and enlightenment
    I went to a school, wasn't a famous one and as far as I know I am one of the very few survivors of my graduating class working in the field....... one Young lady is a manager at one of the great French Empires that I shall not name..........and I am of the view that it is her wealth (she was $uper rich) that got her there. she wasn't bad, but she wasn't exceptionally gifted either. there are people who are paying thousands of dollars in student loans for a degree they will never use...........There is just too many people going to Fashion School...too many.

For some who want to pursue a career in fashion, I would love to see them apprentice with a company first, get an insight into the working knowledge of the industry, and then decide if this is something they would like to do for the long term............that's just my thoughts
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• LEB
      • May 2012

Originally posted by zamb View Post
      For some who want to pursue a career in fashion, I would love to see them apprentice with a company first, get an insight into the working knowledge of the industry, and then decide if this is something they would like to do for the long term............that's just my thoughts
      Although I do agree with you (your whole post), you have to keep in mind that it is hard even for people with a degree in fashion to apprentice with a company that is willing to teach them something. And I do not mean packing garments into bags....

So I think it is close to impossible to get an apprenticeship for 'normal' people. (unless you know someone that knows someone).
      Hier könnte Ihre Werbung stehen!

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

A few months back I posted an opening for interns here at my company, and I got very few replies, right now we could do with a good one and I didn't even bother to interview anybody. we are dealing with FW12 production and also preapring the SS13 collection and would love additional help in certain areas. there is one guy who came by to buy something, he loved the way we worked and offered to come and intern but he is recovering from an illness right now and cannot be here
        Maybe the name of the brand is not big enough, it doesn't have "the pull" but I can tell you and many who come here can tell you that anyone who interns or works here learn more than they will learn at many big name companies............at least from a technical standpoint.
        I think often times its a case where people are stuck on a certain image, and they miss valuable opportunities that may be available to them.

I think one of the great places to go and work is possibly in a factory making the kind of clothing one would want to design, or with a local tailor, not one doing only alterations per se, but one actually cutting and making clothes...........Who wouldnt want to intern at a factory like Olmar and Mirta?
        to see how a collection like ricks' is put together. I highly doubt that most design student would bother with that, but I think rick might have about a thousand of them sending him their resume/ CV on a daily basis

Originally posted by LEB View Post
        Although I do agree with you (your whole post), you have to keep in mind that it is hard even for people with a degree in fashion to apprentice with a company that is willing to teach them something. And I do not mean packing garments into bags....

So I think it is close to impossible to get an apprenticeship for 'normal' people. (unless you know someone that knows someone).
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• michael_kard
          • Oct 2010

Today I learnt there's a new Helmut Lang diffusion line called HELMUT by Helmut Lang.
          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

LOL. Diffusion line of a diffusion line.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• wedjat
              • Jan 2011

haha, guess they couldn't overlook the success of domas silent...

Comment

• lowrey
                ventiundici
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                LOL. Diffusion line of a diffusion line.
                but of course! "Helmut Lang" is reserved to ripping off real designers and destroying the name of Lang. You obviously need a diffusion line to rip off other diffusion lines. ethics etc, you know.
                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• the breaks
                  • Sep 2007

they should put out the AIDS shirt again.. and keep all the money
                  Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Apr 2012

^ what's wrong with these people? any context to the photo cos it really pique my curiosity...

Comment

• Apr 2012

Oh I see. It's like fashion inspired by bondage and bad trips!

Comment

• Patroklus
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2011

CUTE SHORTS

Comment

• Dropt
                          • May 2009

Yeah. Right. Inspiration. Interesting.

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

sain't

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

i was at a mall today, not gonna apologize for that but:

-the gap had a display of layered polos. all pastels, one over the other in colors like yellow/pink and lime/blue, then they popped both collars and rolled the sleeves over each other. wtf

-H&M had a graphic T with Miles Davis on it. i think it listed a couple of his albums or something. wtfwtfwtfwtf

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎