Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resonkuken
    • Oct 2012

I would love to visit a city that had lots of boutiques, or big department stores that carry everything that I look at online. I think it would change how I view certain items and brands, since I don´t have the chance to get a feel of how the clothes look on me or examine a particular texture up close. The biggest boutiquse you can find here (in the whole country) are Ermenegildo Zegna, Gucci, Diesel, Hugo boss, kenzo, Tommy Hilfigger and that´s it, I think.

Comment

• stemcell
      • Jul 2011

That mulberry beast is precious.

Comment

• coccodrillo
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
        Are you the person whose photo has personally been used in that guide? If yes, let him know you feel uncomfortable it's being used. Don't have to get your panties stuck in a bunch. Wait until someone actually insults your photographs you'll wish you'll be back on the pedestal. I don't see anyone giving a flying fuck when photos are freely tumblr-ed or worse, ending up on sz-quotes. Where are the pitchforks? Why the double standard?

Frankly this insular, us vs them attitude is not going to make people outside of this forum less ignorant. Some of you seem to want to see a change in people's buying behaviour, but noone's doing anything about it except by preaching to the choir. And when someone's doing something outside of this circle that leads new people into this forum, there's a giant backlash, not to mention that this is not the first instance it happened, btw. Why the holier-than-thou attitude? I am beginning to have the impression that some of you want this 'dark aesthetics' to remain a secret club or something.

This butthurt circle-jerky reaction is embarrassing.
        Well said.....this also answers the question regarding why there aren't more contributions from so called "newbies".

I also think what Faust said about hoping the forum would inspire people to travel and see the fashion discussed irl was also interesting.

It speaks to encouraging a more intimate dialog between the purveyor and the buyer. This dialog is to a great degree - necessary as everything doesn't always "translate" well online - despite fit pics and other detail photos or "how to guides"- plus there's the added bonus of forming a relationship with a shop owner who understands and listens to the individual customers needs and does their utmost to provide education and great customer service.

None of the designers I enjoy are within a 150 km radius of where I work and live - but the relationships I have formed with shop owners has solved this problem - that said - when I travel - I make a point of seeking out the boutiques that carry the lines I'm interested in.

Comment

• AppendixG
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by coccodrillo View Post
          Well said.....this also answers the question regarding why there aren't more contributions from so called "newbies".
          Hopefully I'm not outside my station here, being completely new. I used reddit for a long time, mostly for news and killing time at work; when I decided, a couple months ago, that I wanted to start dressing better, or differently, my natural inclination was to see if there was a subreddit for it.

I sort of poked around in /r/malefashionadvice for a while, but wasn't really drawn to any of the styles there. I can't really say if the guide was written well, or accurate, but I do know that the pictures there keyed me into what I think was an important realization... that dressing well doesn't have to mean just v-necks, button ups and chinos.

I've always been drawn to darker colors and muted palettes... the problem was that I didn't (and probably still don't) really know how to frame them, structure them and assemble them in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. I wore dark colors, but I didn't know how to wear them. The guide, really the pictures, made me realize that I didn't have to alter my choices, I just had to approach them differently.

Anyway, after all this rambling, good or bad... I can't really speak to it, but it was helpful to me because I traced the sources on those images, followed all the links and ended up here. I'm still not very good at it, but at least it led me to a place that, hopefully, can help me get better.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rosenrot View Post
            Are you the person whose photo has personally been used in that guide? If yes, let him know you feel uncomfortable it's being used. Don't have to get your panties stuck in a bunch.
            Originally posted by Garley View Post
            This. PM me here or on Reddit and I will edit it.
            technically, for the public fit pics, the photographer owns the rights to the picture, not the model or subject (unless they photographed themselves). the runway shots are owned by whomever paid for them.

realistically, you can't tell who owns what by reading PM's. if someone really didn't like their picture misused on your ninja guide, you'd get a cease and desist letter from an attorney.

my problem is, you know it was a dickhead move to lift pictures of this magnitude. but the victims will now have to contact you if they have a problem. that's pretty ass-backwards to me.

Comment

• Garley
              Banned
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
              technically, for the public fit pics, the photographer owns the rights to the picture, not the model or subject (unless they photographed themselves). the runway shots are owned by whomever paid for them.

realistically, you can't tell who owns what by reading PM's. if someone really didn't like their picture misused on your ninja guide, you'd get a cease and desist letter from an attorney.

my problem is, you know it was a dickhead move anyway to lift pictures of this magnitude. but the victims will now have to contact you if they have a problem. that's pretty ass-backwards to me.
              This is a "problem" of far more massive magnitude than myself. The way information is shared on the internet conflicts with the notions we have regarding intellectual property. Perhaps you should tackle a larger problem like tumblr as a whole instead of selecting one individual whose work you didn't like. I don't see you complaining about the intellectual property rights of the photographers whose pictures are being used in the Seasonal Collections forum of SZ.

Comment

• endersgame
                • Aug 2009

you're appeasing an angry mob by allowing them to remove pictures of themselves. so you understand that some people don't appreciate being used this way?

realistically, if you did ask everyone for permission, do you think they would cooperate with you on this guide?

i enforce images rights and permissions. if you sent me a proposal for a guide like this for a book or commercial use, i'd decline your request, not even if you paid. but remember, what i said about exercising your fair use rights. you're not breaking the law.

Comment

• Garley
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2012

you're appeasing an angry mob by allowing them to remove pictures of themselves. so you understand that some people don't appreciate being used this way?

realistically, if you did ask everyone for permission, do you think they would cooperate with you on this guide?

i enforce images rights and permissions. if you sent me a proposal for a guide like this for a book or commercial use, i'd decline your request, not even if you paid. but remember, what i said about exercising your fair use rights. you're not breaking the law.
                  The fact that there's an "angry mob" over a blog post on fashion is ridiculous.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

hold on now don't downplay it. you spent hours and hours mining data from stylezeitgeist, a site that a lot of people care about and have worked very hard to cultivate, edit, moderate, and establish standards for, that allows a pretty tight community of individuals and affiliates to gather and exchange info in a comfortable way. and you cut and pasted for hours and hours for no other reason than to get that sweet sweet reddit karma. there is literally no other winner in this but you. if the average reddit user were truly interested in any of what sz has to offer they would very easily be able to find it on their own.

but now there is a virtual ton of stylezeitgeist material plastered all over one of the most highly trafficked websites on earth. reddit is huge. if you think sz was overrun by noobs before, you just wait. now i hate to sound like the hipster barista here, but i really would rather have all the info here where it belongs. i can't help it, i'm annoyed by this. i feel like i would feel if fugazi was the opening act on a rihanna tour.

and i'll tell you what, if my size starts selling out all over because some bro with a passing interest in looking like aesop rock or will.i.am bought it, i'm coming for you garley...

on second thought, it may all end up in the classifieds.

kop away bros!

edit: full disclosure. i post shit from reddit here all the time, so i guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite. but so what thats part of my charm.
                    Last edited by cjbreed; 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM.
                    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

^ this.

time to find another fad for yourself.
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Garley View Post
                        The fact that there's an "angry mob" over a blog post on fashion is ridiculous.
                        whats more ridiculous is the level of time you have invested in creating this nonsensical post and the level to which you are defending your actions
                        This is a "problem" of far more massive magnitude than myself. The way information is shared on the internet conflicts with the notions we have regarding intellectual property. Perhaps you should tackle a larger problem like tumblr as a whole instead of selecting one individual whose work you didn't like. I don't see you complaining about the intellectual property rights of the photographers whose pictures are being used in the Seasonal Collections forum of SZ.
                        There is a whole lot of immoral and distasteful things that are permissible under the law, do we suddenly now justify those things bu simply saying "its not illegal" or "I'm not the only one doing it"? or when we commit a distasteful act we say that the problem is bigger than us?
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                          edit: full disclosure. i post shit from reddit here all the time, so i guess i'm a bit of a hypocrite. but so what thats part of my charm.
                          what the hell man, you just lost 10,000 sz karma points right there. time to make up for it by creating the definitive goth ninja monster shoes and accessories compendium, with freshly lifted images and side-by-side price comparisons between A's and payless shoes.

Comment

• volta
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                            reddit is just drip-feeded by 4chan in that department and way dumbed down (which it already is, fuck 4chan but at least they are original).

Comment

• cjbreed
                              • Feb 2009

what the hell man, you just lost 10,000 sz karma points right there.....
                              lolcats belong to the people!

frrrrrreeeeeeeeeddddddoooooooooommmm!!!!!!!
                              dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• endorphinz
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2009

I am not gonna get into whether those guides infringe upon any property rights or violate any privacy issues. I just wanna say that I amazed that someone would devote the necessary time & effort needed to compile them. I find that unfuckinbelievable. why would anyone do all the work to create
                                Originally posted by Garley
                                a blog post on fashion
                                ..... and pleeeeeeese don't say that puttin those things together just took a few mins & were no big deal.

posts like these happen when I watch one of my teams get the shit kicked outta dem. ny football giants suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎